Family Court Judge Candidates

was1958

Because of the arrogance and crimes of the Fialas, some of the other important races next month haven't been discussed as much as usual. The Family Court Judge race is an interesting one. With an extra seat up for grabs, there are four candidates running and two seats available.

Rick Miller. I think Rick Miller is all-around the best candidate. He's been on the bench in Johnson City and Town of Union for a number of years and he's deeply involved in the community. He has a large family and most of the voters are familiar with them, so you know what you're getting with Miller. I don't know him personally but I've heard he's very approachable, friendly and down to earth. From what I've seen and heard he has the perfect demeanor for Family Court.

Pete Charnetsky. Probably the second best candidate, because he's been in Family Court for 10 years. I agree that his background in social work does give him a much needed perspective on family dynamic and challenges facing families. Honestly, I do still question his mental well-being, but because he's been on the bench for 10 years, it's probably safe to assume he can continue to serve, and do a good job.

Mark Young. I'm uncomfortable with this guy. His TV and radio ads are centered around his wife's illness a few years ago. Many, many families go through these crises, but it's not a reason to vote for someone. I'm more than uncomfortable with his temper and in-your-face attitude, this is fine for an attorney (even though Young hasn't practiced law for a few years) but not for a Judge, especially Family Court. I've personally seen him out in public screaming at someone, with his finger in their face. His campaign is also less than honest. He leaves out the part of his family story where he moved to Syracuse, and just returned within the last year. And any decent attorney is this area makes more than a medical device salesman, he must have been a lousy attorney. He will not get my vote.

Dan Reynolds. I don't have a very favorable opinion of Reynolds. I've known his sister, Judge Molly Fitzgerald for years. The entire family is extremely arrogant and for years Dan has felt he's been a Judge-in-waiting, like this election is owed to him. His campaign is also terrible. Of all the candidates I've heard the least from him, almost nothing in fact (and I have a Democrat, Republican and Independent in my house). I'm also confused with why he didn't resign from the Broome County Legislature to seek this Family Court seat. Because he's seeking a Judgeship it would have been proper for him to resign from a Legislative seat, to remove politics from a campaign for Judge. He will not get my vote.

I'm interested to hear what others think of these four candidates.

I'm definitely voting for Rick Miller. If you recall that situation, I was glad he held Mayor Ryan to an equal standard as the rest of us. I did read a lot of material here on BVC regarding various ethics considerations for which he was held accountable but in reading those, it was my opinion 75% of the problems he encountered appeared more due to the fact he had some problems transitioning to the role of a judge and seemed to think he had to do it all. :) IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF! I'm thinking he is probably better at delegating now. While I don't personally know Judge Miller, I have in the past attended 2 weddings where he was present and people do seem to have a great affection for him.

I'm not sure about that second seat though...we have a couple of weeks.

Mark Young honest? According to the New York State Unified Court System website Young was admitted to the NYS Bar in 1993. Young states in his TV ad that he worked in law for 20 years. Young stopped practicing law in 2012. Young practiced for 19 years, not 20. Young is being dishonest.

Young talks about his PASSION for law yet he QUiT law in 2012. Young blames his wife's stroke for his need to quit practicing law. Teachers have health insurance and access to disability so this explanation is not only bizarre but suspect. Young claims he made 1/2 the income of a medical supply salesman. Why wasn't he making more money as an experienced lawyer?

Young claims to care about families yet he bullied and threatened legal action in 2012 against the Danielle House because a light in their driveway bothered him at his home down the street.

Young lost his temper in a Vestal courtroom in 2012, attacked opposing counsel and had to be restrained. Young was rated Unqualified in 2003 when he lost to Spero Pines for Family Court Judge. Young does not have the qualities I am looking for in a Judge.

I agree 100%. Mark Young may be a good guy when you catch him in a good mood, or someone who's fun to have a drink with, but not someone you want as a Family Court Judge.

Why did he move to Syracuse? Did he move back just to run for Judge?

Mark Young honest? According to the New York State Unified Court System website Young was admitted to the NYS Bar in 1993. Young states in his TV ad that he worked in law for 20 years. Young stopped practicing law in 2012. Young practiced for 19 years, not 20. Young is being dishonest.

Young talks about his PASSION for law yet he QUiT law in 2012. Young blames his wife's stroke for his need to quit practicing law. Teachers have health insurance and access to disability so this explanation is not only bizarre but suspect. Young claims he made 1/2 the income of a medical supply salesman. Why wasn't he making more money as an experienced lawyer?

Young claims to care about families yet he bullied and threatened legal action in 2012 against the Danielle House because a light in their driveway bothered him at his home down the street.

Young lost his temper in a Vestal courtroom in 2012, attacked opposing counsel and had to be restrained. Young was rated Unqualified in 2003 when he lost to Spero Pines for Family Court Judge. Young does not have the qualities I am looking for in a Judge.

Maybe, if you work at it, you can have Mark Young charged with the Kennedy assassination.

I agree 100%. Mark Young may be a good guy when you catch him in a good mood, or someone who's fun to have a drink with, but not someone you want as a Family Court Judge.

Why did he move to Syracuse? Did he move back just to run for Judge?

He is a great person who has had a lot to deal with in his family life..hope you never have to deal with having your wife have 2 strokes and having 2 young children to worry about..sounds like you dont care about others..hope someone bashes you like you did here!!

Correct me if I'm wrong...Judge Cawley, Mark Young and Dan Reynolds were all with the same law firm at one time?

(making sure we don't give new meaning to the term... :) Unified Court System)

I saw Pete's interview on CH 12 on Monday at 6PM.

He is an odd person. I thought it was interesting how he tried to connect with JC. "I went to JC" " I graduated from JC" but he left out the part that he liked JC so much, he lives in Vestal.

His dubious mental state showed through the interview.

^ Since you brought it up...there is a judge who is behaving commendably unfortunately I have no idea who he or she is or what court they sit in. Every six months or so some nice girls, including myself, breathe a sigh of relief( the judge says he can live) that this particular judge advocates for people who can't speak for themselves. They operate on the side of life. For this reason, it would be terribly difficult for me to vote out any incumbent at this time. I would hate to inadvertently sign somebodys death warrant.

WIVT/WBGH interviewed Miller and Young last night. Miller spoke of his experience being a judge since 1996. During his interview he handled a request for a warrant and an arraignment. Miller said he handles court matters day and night, no matter what is going on in his personal life. Young was interviewed at his dining room table. Young spoke of quitting law when his wife took ill and is still not practicing law.

You can see both of their unedited videos at Binghamtonhomepage.com. Go to the Local Government section, "Profile: Republican candidates for Family Court Judge" The link "digital exclusives page" doesn't load, you have to click on "all video" at the top of the page.

Well, if I stick to my guns... at one time I stated I wasn't voting for any more lawyers so that means I would have to vote for a sitting judge or someone who isn't practicing law which would put Mark Young into play. So many considerations... :)