New Years Eve Bar Fight Involving Rich David & Girlfriend. Charges Pending?

Tough Guy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The opinion around WBNG, from those who work at the station, is Daisy would have been fired a long time ago, but her manager, Darin, has a large crush on her and hands her sweetheart accounts from other sales people.

I have no doubt that anybody who would get involved in a catfight in an upscale cocktail bar, whether victim or aggressor, is probably both a personal and professional delight.

With that said, I believe I've seen people charged with attempted murder for smashing glass objects over the heads of others in the past. So which part of this has anything to do with what happened, other than the obvious character assassination attempting to distract and downplay David's (literally) intimate association with a vicious attack in a public place?

Unless Dawson was attacking David with a weapon or gouging his eyes out with her fingernails or something, his girlfriend's alleged actions are not only indefensible, but borderline psychotic. If it is true that he attempted to use his clout to bully Dawson and interfere with her career (he admits to contacting WBNG after the attack to "alert" them that he felt she was inappropriate and unprofessional, I can't see any other believable way to interpret his actions), he should simply resign.

Violent criminals in our city are perfectly successful already, they don't need the mayor's advocacy and support.

Saw the victim is from Afton, spoke to my "Afton correspondent". Well-known girl. Get the impression this is a pretty ordinary, employable, educated family and while she might have had too much to drink for the New Year, she doesn't have a bad reputation or a history of getting into fights. I am told her father is a reputable guy who is active in the community up there and has always been very proud of her.

Erica, on the other hand, as we know, is "BCVoice famous" for getting into bar fights.

Saw the victim is from Afton, spoke to my "Afton correspondent". (LOL) Get the impression this is a pretty ordinary, employable, educated family and while she might have had too much to drink for the New Year, she doesn't have a bad reputation or a history of getting into fights. I am told her father is a reputable guy who is active in the community up there.

Erica, on the other hand, as we know, is "BCVoice famous" for getting into bar fights.

But we cannot forget this memorable event...

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Man-Attempts-to-Light-Himself-and-House-on-Fire-163354186.html

I really want to see how this plays out...See how "blind" justice really is...My sister was divorced from her husband but let him live in the home for the kids...He started some stupid crap one night while drunk and long story short he ended up with a wound from a telephone on his head, ...He called the sheriff and when they arrived they took my sister into custody and charged her eventually with attempted murder.. Funny thing is this guy had a long history of physical abuse and smacking the hell out of her and I'm not sure he was ever arrested but I guess that's the way life goes...Anyway her public defender, I can't remember his name but I can get it and you'll see who I'm talking about and you won't be surprised, scared her so bad by saying she could get as much as 15 years agreed to do a 3 year sentence, of which she did almost all of....Sad she couldn't have afforded a better lawyer because in the best case scenario this was assault of some sort and NOT attempted murder......But as we all know Karma is a bitch...Her husband died a few years back by stumbling down a set of stairs drunk.....Sooo it would seem to me that the Mayors squeeze is lucky not to be in jail...Not that she'd ever make it there with the David and Z connection...

Hmmm...by his statement David doesn't know which side of the fence he is on by his own words..."As a private citizen"...Ahem...Mayor...You are no longer a private citizen...You are.. 24/7... a representative of our city and I for one, as a taxpayer am going to hold you responsible for that...I understand the "language" you speak so you can't double talk me...For crying out load, I'd have more respect for you as a man if you step up to the plate and just admit you're wrong in defending your girlfriend they way you have...Honor goes a long way...

I don't have a problem with the Mayor going out for a few cold ones and staying out late once in a while.

The problem is his gf. He needs to lose her, and do it 3 weeks ago. How can he possibly be confident she won't attack someone else with something sharper and more deadly the next time?

She obviously has a drinking/late night/bar fight problem, which, in the long run, doesn't play out well for everyone around her. It's already causing both of them serious problems.

His problem is now that he's antagonized one of the major local news outlets, and there aren't many Mayors of failing upstate NY cities who can afford to do that. Add to that his seriously troubled Police Chief, and they could make everything seriously and continually uncomfortable for him, a distraction he doesn't need.

As far as I could tell, Daisy's only real "hostile" act was to talk about her job at a bar, which is not something unheard of in the bars of America. He's stumbling and fumbling trying to defend the indefensible.

Mr. Selfie Stick (who no longer lives in NY, but apparently finds the need to comment on local events) has chimed in.

What does Chris Strub know that the rest of us don't? Strub DOES claim to be very close friends with the mayor's assistant... you know what they say, loose lips sink ships.

2nrgec6.png

I agree with Parmelee about him being a "private citizen". He is a former and current public official and whatever interaction Dawson might have had with him would have been due to that. Otherwise, he is just some rando at a bar that everyone would ignore.

The Wanker is right, as well. David does not claim Dawson assaulted him. Only that was talking about WBNG too much. There is apparently video of the incident which Benjamin claims to have seen, and there is no hint of pushing.

Mr. Selfie Stick (who no longer lives in NY, but apparently finds the need to comment on local events) has chimed in.

What does Chris Strub know that the rest of us don't?

If I was paid to guess, it is because David was reasonably successful at covering up his girlfriend's prior incident at the Union Hotel during the election cycle, where he reportedly had to keep her in a headlock until police arrived. Known to anyone active in local politics but kept out of the media and actively suppressed here on BCV at the time. I think we are all aware of it on this board, though.

I really want to see how this plays out...See how "blind" justice really is...My sister was divorced from her husband but let him live in the home for the kids...He started some stupid crap one night while drunk and long story short he ended up with a wound from a telephone on his head, ...He called the sheriff and when they arrived they took my sister into custody and charged her eventually with attempted murder.. Funny thing is this guy had a long history of physical abuse and smacking the hell out of her and I'm not sure he was ever arrested but I guess that's the way life goes...Anyway her public defender, I can't remember his name but I can get it and you'll see who I'm talking about and you won't be surprised, scared her so bad by saying she could get as much as 15 years agreed to do a 3 year sentence, of which she did almost all of....Sad she couldn't have afforded a better lawyer because in the best case scenario this was assault of some sort and NOT attempted murder......But as we all know Karma is a bitch...Her husband died a few years back by stumbling down a set of stairs drunk.....Sooo it would seem to me that the Mayors squeeze is lucky not to be in jail...Not that she'd ever make it there with the David and Z connection...

That really sucks, Parm. Unfortunately, this is why people say to always go in heavy and call the police, get it in writing, record the conversation, get that restraining order, etc. If the police try to dissuade you from entering a complaint, push and demand it. If you don't make it a matter of record, the situation later goes to hell, and the other people go to the police with their version of the story first, you are ****ed. Anytime you're dealing with some erratic nutcase acting out of malice, you'll walk away thinking you've mutually settled it and that they're sorry and that you don't need to make waves and get the cops, etc., only to be blown away by the sociopathic thing they do next and left wishing you'd gone loud from the outset and shut them down before it got to this point. It's even in the bible, the story of Absalom, today easily recognized as a disordered personality, spreading lies about King David.

I heard a story of a guy who was advised by his attorney to contact the police just to let them know he was breaking up with his psycho girlfriend. He thought his lawyer was insane, but followed his instructions. It was a good thing, because sure enough, she retaliated by calling the police claiming he had attacked her and the police only realized what was going on because he had gotten out ahead of it.

I have to guess that Erica was provoked in some way, verbally or physically. I heard from a friend (I was home by 10pm on New Years) Dawson allegedly pushed David numerous times, before Erica stepped in. This is contrary to what Benjamin and Dawson are saying. But who knows.

The thing really I don't get is David calling WBNG as a "former employee". Like it or not, everything he does is as mayor of Binghamton. And his employment at WBNG had to be at least 15 years ago. You don't call a former employer after 15 years and multiple jobs as a "former employee", especially when you're one of about five big name elected officials in town.

WBNG, is at the center of this legal case, not the incident itself, but this lawsuit. It's interesting WBNG did NOT post the story to Facebook, which usually generates hundreds of comments. And the story on WBNG.com does not have video, just the text. And it does NOT contain the additional statements from Ronald Benjamin, shown last night on the 11pm WBNG news.

So in my opinion, WBNG is treating this different from most other stories.

WBNG, is at the center of this legal case, not the incident itself, but this lawsuit. It's interesting WBNG did NOT post the story to Facebook, which usually generates hundreds of comments. And the story on WBNG.com does not have video, just the text. And it does NOT contain the additional statements from Ronald Benjamin, shown last night on the 11pm WBNG news.

So in my opinion, WBNG is treating this different from most other stories.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Lawsuit-seeks-damages-against-Binghamton-Mayor-girlfriend-288862921.html

There are added comments from Benjamin at the bottom about David "thinking he walks on water" and believing he can do anything he wants with impunity. I noticed it was updated a few hours ago.

I have to guess that Erica was provoked in some way, verbally or physically. I heard from a friend (I was home by 10pm on New Years) Dawson allegedly pushed David numerous times, before Erica stepped in. This is contrary to what Benjamin and Dawson are saying. But who knows.

The thing really I don't get is David calling WBNG as a "former employee". Like it or not, everything he does is as mayor of Binghamton. And his employment at WBNG had to be at least 15 years ago. You don't call a former employer after 15 years and multiple jobs as a "former employee", especially when you're one of about five big name elected officials in town.

There is apparently a video, and it'd take a lot more than a little drunken pushing to justify that. However, for someone with a personality disorder, especially if they're drunk or on drugs, "provoking" could simply mean looking at them funny. Her ranting about "disrespecting" and "crossing" David makes it sound like the attack was probably brought about by touching on a sensitive or unpleasant personal matter. Offhand, there is one popular rumor about David that has been discussed on this board and which is reportedly backed up by photographic evidence, I can see how a teasing remark about it would prompt violence from an unstable girlfriend.

Agree completely about the "former employee" thing. David's excuse is idiotic. Only a completely guileless fool would make a call like that without understanding that there are consequences for the person they're calling about, especially when they are in a position of authority.

I am not involving myself in the situation at all. The only comments I have about the entire thing is that 1) to me it sounds like a staged situation with an extortion to follow. A phone call was made to give an ultimatum and request a monetary amount or another route of retaliation would be taken? Sounds like it was all planned to me. 2) It seems that Mr. Benjamin and Ms. Dawson had pretty close relationship prior to the unfortunate event. There are numerous pictures of the two of them very close to each other, and it has been brought to my attention that she is also in his commercial on TV.

None of the above gives justification to anyone's actions. What happened was wrong plain and simple, but I feel that there is much more to this story than anyone is hearing about.

I feel that there is much more to this story than anyone is hearing about.

The thing is that 1) our mayor's lovely partner has a history of this type of conduct, 2) it would be difficult to stage/plan someone into hitting you twice in the back of the head with a glass and having their boyfriend contact your employer about it (which David admits to doing), and 3) there is reportedly video.

I think we could speculate all day about the rest of it. David may be trying to portray a legitimate offer of settlement as a "shakedown", which is not unusual, and I don't find it suspicious that someone would choose a lawyer with whom they have a pre-existing relationship. Everyone seems to be broadly in agreement about the most important facts of the incident, so I'm inclined to say "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". If it was somehow a premeditated plan, David and Aminalee certainly seem to have walked right into it like the two biggest idiots in the world and kind of have this coming. Although I'm sure, as you say, that more will come out.