Businesses You Don't Support Because of the Owners... personally or politically?

Clyde

I've been pondering this for a few days because I realized last weekend there are a few businesses in Broome County I don't support because of the owners.

Maybe you don't care for their politics or behavior, or maybe you've witnessed them yell at employees in front of customers, or they are annoying sports parents. On the flip side, there are businesses I always try to support because I like the owners, even if they are a little out of the way, or even more expensive.

Who should be avoided?

Who should be supported?

I've been personally mistreated at:

Phil's Gift Shop

Binghamton Fluorescent

Oreck Vacuum

I don't care for the politics of the owners at:

Lost Dog Cafe

Tranquil

Tom's Coffee, Cards & Gifts

I always support and appreciate:

Kovarik Hardware

Leroy Package Store

Uncle Tony's (new ownership)

Good thing Teri Rennia doesn't own a real business. Can you imagine walking into a business and being scowled at?

2cxjckx.png

She is part owner of Enviren Calibrations with her husband. She does the accounting for the firm. --

http://envirencalibrations.com/contact-us

Know this because we use the company. Her husband is nothing like her, at least he is level headed.

What is the motive/point to this slanderous thread

Not sure about anyone else, but consider this to be a "word of mouth" type of thread based on what has happened, when, where, who ; with the local business around the area. I love to hear from my friends and co-workers about places they have had issues with, more so if it's a place we use or go to.

Sometimes "word of mouth" is the best thing, it can make or break any business, or the goal would really be to get it's act together.

Agreed. "Word of mouth" is one thing. As the term implies, it's opinions and related real experiences of people you know. Posting a "who sucks" in a thread like this is likely to be full of people with other motives and intentions....ex wives and husbands, jilted former lovers, idiots who are pissed at their siblings for dumb reasons.

I would no more heed the "advice" here about business owners than I would the legal wisdom of Rod Blagojevich. There's a scant few people here who's opinion i would trust because they seem to be reasonable, logical members who are political fanatics or have an interminable axe to grind.

And just because a business owner is a felon is not the sole reason to shy away from their services. People constantly bitch about how ex-cons don't just "get a job". Getting a job with a felony is very difficult. The job market is a tiny fraction of what it is for non-convicts. Many felons have few options than to start their own business and some of them are to be applauded for taking the risk and putting out the effort to do so.

One of my family members spent the first 15 years of his adult life in a state prison. He decided he'd had enough. He learned some mechanical skills in prison and now has a decent paying job repairing machinery in a factory. Granted he didn't start his own business, but the point is that not ALL ex-cons are incapable of turning their lives around and becoming productive citizens once out.

If the only reason you have to offer is "stay away from Business X because they're felons" you need to come up with some real facts and information that's pertinent to your opinion.

This would be libel, not slander. (very basically, slander is verbal and/or visual via bodily actions, libel is written/printed/photographic)

Plus it's no more potentially libelous than what Binghamton Bill at times posts here.

This would be libel, not slander. (very basically, slander is verbal and/or visual via bodily actions, libel is written/printed/photographic)

Plus it's no more potentially libelous than what Binghamton Bill at times posts here.

Except that BB usually posts about certain people or elected politicians and is more specific about the accusations he's posting.

He doesn't post a a "tell us who sucks" open-ended questionnaire inviting people to anonymously libel specific people by name when those people have no recourse to defend themselves. I was hoping that sort of thing was no longer allowed here.

We all bemoan the fact that there aren't enough hard-working, honest, tax-paying people in this area and that those of us with real jobs are paying some of the highest taxes in the nation to support those who refuse to work. Why would anyone want to flame local people who start and maintain businesses that EMPLOY other hard working locals?

What if it were YOUR job that disappeared because some nasty rumors started, your place of employment took a death blow and closed down in a year?

The Internet is a place to go to find the truth....yeah, that's what my buddy Larry the Leprechaun was telling me the other day after he and his unicorn rode his magic carpet over to my house. He also informed me that Congress is about to eliminate income taxes and dissemble the IRS. Oh, and he informed me that....get this....."pro" wrestling is real after all. Who knew?

Archived