Prostitution Arrests

Bingoloid

These three were arrested by undercover officers pretending to be customers.

Catching the real customers really needs clear evidence that there was an agreement to exchange sex for money. That basically means setting up an undercover officer as a decoy prostitute, which does happen.

Catching both at the same time and demonstrating they weren't just having sex for free is a tough one.

You make good points in the enforcement aspect of the law.

Personally, I think it is a waste of time and money busting people for sex.

I just thought it wasn't very fair to single out the prostitutes. As with drug dealers, they are replaced as soon as they are arrested anyways. If you are going to outlaw something then everyone involved should be subjected to penalties, fair and impartial, regardless of how difficult it is to prosecute.

Besides, wouldn't the shame and guilt of being publicly humiliated and ridiculed act as an deterant? Or at least give the public a chance at some sort of satisfaction?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just thought it wasn't very fair to single out the prostitutes. As with drug dealers, they are replaced as soon as they are arrested anyways. If you are going to outlaw something then everyone involved should be subjected to penalties, fair and impartial, regardless of how difficult it is to prosecute.

Besides, wouldn't the shame and guilt of being publicly humiliated and ridiculed act as an deterant? Or at least give the public a chance at some sort of satisfaction?

You're not wrong, and although I've never seen news about customers getting arrested around here, it does happen, presumably here, too. (I can think of one prominent local business owner I've been told was picked up in a prostitution sting years and years ago, although I've never looked into it.) There is sometimes criticism when the focus is on the prostitutes and not the customers, since the customers are creating the demand for it and the prostitutes themselves are often mentally ill, addicts, immigrants, underage, whatever, somehow vulnerable/marginal people.

I know in some jurisdictions, when they arrest customers, they aggressively promote their name and picture in the news to shame them at work and in their families. Here's a couple of news stories where they made dozens of arrests in a few days:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/104-johns-nabbed-nassau-county-pay-sex-article-1.1361717

You might recognize one of the defense attorney's names, in that last story, there. He is currently representing Cal Harris.

Prostitution stings don't happen a lot in our area. They used to be more common, I think back when AIDS first became a legitimate danger to society at large. Even then the focus was on the "sex workers" and not so much on the Johns. I did see a few John stings here and there. I would think it would be harder to get unassailable proof of an attempted transaction than it would from the hookers.

John stings have proven to be effective deterrents to the trade, at least for short term purposes. Many johns are otherwise respected, functioning members of their communities and they'll either find other sources of yippee or back off for awhile once they know a sting is on.

I know one well-known businessman who used to frequent the streets of ill repute before he got a live-in gf and before the internet came along. To my knowledge he never got busted.

You might recognize one of the defense attorney's names, in that last story, there. He is currently representing Cal Harris.

"One man caught in the sting was 79-year-old lawyer Ivan Dochter. Two physicians, Dr. Richard Obedian, 45, an othopedic surgeon from tony Muttontown, and Dr. Peter Malet, 62, a gastroenterologist from Garden City, were also nabbed in the sting."

Oops.

The Police are conducting some of this activity via Craigslist so they do not have to leave the comfort of the desk. I'm sure they can find something a bit more substantial to spend the time on and if not get in the streets of some of these high crime neighborhoods.

The Police are conducting some of this activity via Craigslist so they do not have to leave the comfort of the desk. I'm sure they can find something a bit more substantial to spend the time on and if not get in the streets of some of these high crime neighborhoods.

They need not look beyond back door. Wow.

You're not wrong, and although I've never seen news about customers getting arrested around here, it does happen, presumably here, too. (I can think of one prominent local business owner I've been told was picked up in a prostitution sting years and years ago, although I've never looked into it.) There is sometimes criticism when the focus is on the prostitutes and not the customers, since the customers are creating the demand for it and the prostitutes themselves are often mentally ill, addicts, immigrants, underage, whatever, somehow vulnerable/marginal people.

I know in some jurisdictions, when they arrest customers, they aggressively promote their name and picture in the news to shame them at work and in their families. Here's a couple of news stories where they made dozens of arrests in a few days:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/104-johns-nabbed-nassau-county-pay-sex-article-1.1361717

I didn't check the vid out yet. Isn't it ironic about Cal's lawyer?

I think there are more pressing issues that need to be addressed.

Exactly Dick. It's safe juicy stuff that sells and makes it look like they are doing a fine job. In the mean time we have more serious crap going on that needs to be addressed.

Just checked out the vid. Didn't see the part about Cal's lawyer, got mesmerized by the sex toys and was wondering if they warrent charging someone with assault with a sexual weapon? <---- just kidding

Just checked out the vid. Didn't see the part about Cal's lawyer, got mesmerized by the sex toys and was wondering if they warrent charging someone with assault with a sexual weapon? <---- just kidding

The Long Island article has a quote from Bruce Barket, who was defending one of the johns and is also on Cal's defense team.

As far as there being more pressing issues, I do agree, but I think it's fair to say that getting homeless junkies cleaned off the streets before they spread AIDS to anybody is probably a worthy cause, too. I can't complain about these arrests *too* much.

The Long Island article has a quote from Bruce Barket, who was defending one of the johns and is also on Cal's defense team.

As far as there being more pressing issues, I do agree, but I think it's fair to say that getting homeless junkies cleaned off the streets before they spread AIDS to anybody is probably a worthy cause, too. I can't complain about these arrests *too* much.

Agreed. Prostitution is not a victimless crime. The direct connection to drug abuse, drug dealing, illegal guns and mostly human trafficking is a serious problem. Teens are recruited as "sex workers" and those teens come from our neighborhoods and our families.

Busting a few hookers might mot seem like a big deal, but these girls are forced to recruit younger girls regularly.

Perhaps regulating the profession to include regular health and vitality checks.. areas of operation for store front suppliers etc... and sentence unregistered Pro's to a mandatory 1 year in jail could be a solution.

If you can't stop it make it as safe as possible.

Perhaps regulating the profession to include regular health and vitality checks.. areas of operation for store front suppliers etc... and sentence unregistered Pro's to a mandatory 1 year in jail could be a solution.

I couldn't agree more. In Las Vegas they have the Bunny Ranch. How about a Binghamton Bunny Ranch? Beats White Castle and IKEA

Sounds quite reasonable, a good way to focus on the child sex traffickers as well. It might even bring in a few bucks which may be enough of an appeal for the fiscally minded.

I wanna be a Geisha! In Binghamton!

I don't know Poprocks, sounds like a double threat to the community. A sex worker and an element from another culture, you will ruin us in no time!

We better get Ginny on this one!

I don't know Poprocks, sounds like a double threat to the community. A sex worker and an element from another culture, you will ruin us in no time!

We better get Ginny on this one!

Lets eat stew!!!! Shaken...not stirred ! With a cow leg!!!! Woot!!!!!

Yoose gots spunk Pops. I appreciate spunk!

She's just a girl, and she's on fire

Hotter than a fantasy, lonely like a highway

She's living in a world, and it's on fire

Filled with catastrophe, but she knows she can fly away

Oh, she got both feet on the ground

And she's burning it down

Oh, she got her head in the clouds

And she's not backing down

~ Alicia Keys

Archived