The Caveat Emptor Thread

ginger

I said I was going to start a thread for bargains I find. I will, when I find something I think is a great deal. In the meantime, I've started this thread to encompass my annoyances with so-called sales and general misleading, time wasting efforts to secure a bargain.

If you recall, the Micheals thread, they had signs indicating the product was on sale, had pink tags but then it turned out the tags had to be light pink :blink: We have a smilar situation at the BonTon this week.(actually this has been going on for more than a few years with this store)

I'm there to shop for shoes for MOM for the wedding. That part of the sale was great. 70% off plus another 30% off coupon in the paper and if you didn't have the coupon, no matter. The sales staff were passing coupons out as you shopped. The mens department was a completely different story. If you entered from the back parking lot the first thing you run into are the Nautica golf shirts.CLEARANCE 70% off yellow dot merchandise and discount for the yellow and or black dot. OF COURSE THOSE SHIRTS ARE NOT ON CLEARANCE. Any astute shopper would already know that and not waste time looking for the dots on the tag but still, I'm annoyed they placed the sign there anyway. Sooo, I do find the real clearance rack but guess what? There were very few items on that rack with a black or yellow dot. The items I did see were so ragged you would think they had been used to dust the engine of Garo"s brothers Buick. (OH, were they able to save his car?) And so, IMO it's a waste of time to even look.

BTW, I did complain to management about this several years ago and I was told as long as there is at least one item with a black or yellow dot then it isn't misleading. Maybe not misleading but definitely a time waster.

• 8 months later...

I just came from a local grocery store. I had five items and estimated I had spent about $15.00. I also had some bottle returns but factored them in. The young lady at the register told me the total was $22.00 and I said "Oh, are you sure you scanned my (rewards)card?" She said yes but oops she forgot to hit the "total" key which, brought the cost down to what I had anticipated I had spent. :) Caveat Emptor!!!

I just came from a local grocery store. I had five items and estimated I had spent about $15.00. I also had some bottle returns but factored them in. The young lady at the register told me the total was $22.00 and I said "Oh, are you sure you scanned my (rewards)card?" She said yes but oops she forgot to hit the "total" key which, brought the cost down to what I had anticipated I had spent. :) Caveat Emptor!!!

And these people think they are worth $15 AN HOUR!

I can't tell you how many times I've had large grocery orders because I was shopping for my house and my mothers but still thought, "Gee that seems significantly more, like $30-70.00 more than I thought I was spending". I usually ask if the "card" took. Now I see there might be another reason.

I can't tell you how many times I've had large grocery orders because I was shopping for my house and my mothers but still thought, "Gee that seems significantly more, like $30-70.00 more than I thought I was spending". I usually ask if the "card" took. Now I see there might be another reason.

I think the checkout people in most stores have their own card, they use it to give you the discount if you don't have your card. If they think you will fall for it, they take the full amount from you and then after you leave, run their card through and they keep the discount.

I was using cash and the bottle returns for that transaction. How could that possibly work if you're using your atm card? Wouldn't you have to hit the total button to make the transaction go through the machine? I always give them the rewards card.

I was using cash and the bottle returns for that transaction. How could that possibly work if you're using your atm card? Wouldn't you have to hit the total button to make the transaction go through the machine? I always give them the rewards card.

I am not sure. Maybe someone who works there can tell us.

:) ^ Seems I recall at Christmas getting an email from one of my mothers friends about a scam, I can't recall the details...something about getting cash back but they enter a larger amount than you ask for then pocket the difference? Does that sound about right?

• 6 months later...

I don't really want to tell this story but if it saves even one person the embarrassment, shock and inconvenience...

As some of you may realize I've been sick on and off, trying to fight cold/flu symptoms for the past 2 months. Last week when I spiked a 101.3 temp and couldn't sleep because I was coughing non stop, off I went to the walk in. They have a new registration system called PHREESIA. It's a wireless handheld IPAD type device with a swipe card. You verify your name, address date of birth etc. At the end, the system tells you what your balance is and offers you several ways to make payments.

So, I see I have a balance and think WOW this is darn convenient. :) I can split this up in 12 equal monthly payments and not have to think about it! I had already discussed with the young lady behind the desk that the cost for the current visit I was there for cost $120. She stated because I was paying cash it would only be $60.00. Fair enough! so I think I'm authorizing a $60 payment and $25.00 or so payment.

Yesterday, I went to CVS to pick up my regular rx's and a new antibiotic because the Zpak didn't work. I also needed Nyquil, cough drops and some other stuff. Ten minutes before I left the house I checked my bank balances.

I insert the chip card and it's declined. :blink: Well that can't be right, could we do it again? :o Declined again. I call the teleservice number and MY CHECKING ACCOUNT IS EMPTY. I transfer some money out of my savings to checking, run the card again and it goes through, WHEW! Because I only had about $60 in cash on me and the Augmentin alone cost that much.

I get home, check my bank accounts on the computer...the hospitals computer system cleaned out my entire checking account. I called and left a message. When they did not call me back in a timely manner I called the bank because I thought it was some kind of fraud. How could the hospital know exactly how much I had in my checking account? The bank told me they can run my card for however much is in my account. I had to cancel my card and the bank sent me a dispute form.

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened my bill from ^they charged me $58.45 for a pulse oximetry reading. I have my own pulse oximeter. YOU CAN PURCHASE A PULSE OXIMETER AT CVS FOR CHEAPER THAN $58.45. I have no idea who to complain to not to mention they charged me full price for the exam even though they emptied out my checking account. Many new Iphones have an app to check O2 saturations and heart rates.

#BESIDE MYSELF!!!

For those of you who don't know- a pulse oximeter is the instrument they place on your finger....it measures the oxygen content of one red blood cell by bouncing light off of it. A reading of 90% or more is generally accepted as within normal limits depending on your base line. The instrument also measures heart rate and if you watch it "pulse" you may determine the regularity of your heart beat to some extent.

Next time I go to the doctor I guess I'll just tell them what my vital signs are, and my weight...probably start charging separately for that too.

I just opened my bill from ^they charged me $58.45 for a pulse oximetry reading. I have my own pulse oximeter. YOU CAN PURCHASE A PULSE OXIMETER AT CVS FOR CHEAPER THAN $58.45. I have no idea who to complain to not to mention they charged me full price for the exam even though they emptied out my checking account. Many new Iphones have an app to check O2 saturations and heart rates.

#BESIDE MYSELF!!!

For those of you who don't know- a pulse oximeter is the instrument they place on your finger....it measure the oxygen content of one red blood cell by bouncing light off of it. A reading of 90% or more is generally accepted as within normal limits depending on your base line. The instrument also measures heart rate and if you watch it "pulse" you may determine the regularity of your heart beat to some extent.

Next time I go to the doctor I guess I'll just tell them what my vital signs are, and my weight...probably start charging separately for that too.

doctors are becoming like used car salesmen......I quit going.......

Also, Oscar Meyer precooked Bacon was 2 for $8.00 this week so I bought 2. I opened a package for breakfast this morning and it appears the slices of bacon were approximately 30% shorter.

:) Thank You, I am feeling better but I've had pneumonia twice before at this this time of year so I already know I won't be completely well until 2/3 weeks before Christmas. and then right around New Years day, the stomach flu comes along but I still have tamiflu I can use to head that off when I start hearing other people complain. My mother just came down with flu symptoms again 2 days ago. This will be the second time for her since labor day. She usually doesn't get the flu at all because we're all careful to stay away when we're sick. This year, she was actually the first one in our family to get sick. Different strains or really fast mutation? As I mentioned. Z-pak was completely ineffective for me. It was as if I was taking a placebo. Because that Rx is only 6 doses at 250 mg of zithromax, Another good guess could be that the course wasn't long enough to knock it out the first time and the flu rebounded.

I think if they're going to continue to have outrageous deductibles, antibiotics should be over the counter...I think they are in Canada.

I agree with both, however...cold/flu may be viral but then 2 weeks later bronchitis is secondary bacterial and then 2 weeks after that pneumonia is also bacterial. I've had this happen with infiltrates twice before and a ten day course of amoxicillin or cipro knocks it out but it takes a while for my lung(s) to heal. I've never had Z-pak.(until this time)

Furthermore...Z-pak merely inhibits bacterial growth. Amoxicillin or Cipro lyse- "burst" through the cell wall of the bacteria. It destroys the cell which makes it that much easier to expectorate. This is the first time I've had Augmentin which is 875 milligrams of amoxicillin and 125 milligrams of potassium clavulinate which is the growth inhibitor. So far, I still think the cipro worked the best though I realize floroquinolones are not for everyone. I've never had any adverse side effects.

Just as a side note-I had the flu shot in February and the pneumovax last year. The pneumovax is supposed to be good for 5 years. Last year, I didn't get sick at all, not even a sniffle. I just have to wonder if taking an antibiotic prophylatically when I get "the flu" would prevent me from these more serious infections and suffering for so many months but trying to convince people of that appears futile. That's why I wait, because they always say, it's a virus...have you ever heard of Vicks chest rub? :lol: It stinks that I have to be so undeniably sick that they have to treat me. Otherwise I end up paying for 2 doctors appointments. Oh I digress...