The Caveat Emptor Thread

ginger

:) Parm, that $58.45 was in addition to the $120.00 cost of the exam that I was only supposed to pay $60.00 for because I was paying cash. The O2 saturation cost half of the cost of the exam. What kind of bizarreness is that? Can you imagine going to the GROCERY STORE and finding out your checking account is EMPTY?! Good thing I didn't try to grocery shop before I went to CVS that night...I was too sick.

The medical health cartel has us by the short hairs.

My wife got poison ivy again. We know EXACTLY what is needed. Doctor's appointment? $70... Prednisone? 39 cents.

In Europe you just go buy the $h1t you need...only narcotics are prescribed for the most part.

When was the last time you heard of an amoxicillin overdose?

I already stated people have stopped going to the doctor because of the high deductibles...ie the Bronze plan is $6,000. Also., if you haven't noticed, for 2016, they raised the threshhold for claiming medical expenses on schedule A to exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income unless you are 65 or older then the 7.5% remains.

I think you should be able to include all medical expenses especially if you're going to charge me $58.45 for an O2 saturation and I have to pay cash for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard on WNBF a caller stating she had a phone call from a doctors office in OHIO who told her she missed a doctors appointment. Something I forgot to mention about the new registration system was that the doctors office is requiring patients to give them their drivers license and they are scanning the license into their computers. THIS IS A REALLY BAD IDEA. It's one thing to show an ID, it's quite another to be scanned.

Post edit--OH, I also forgot...CVS is entering drivers license id numbers into their computers for narcotic Rx's. Is NYS keeping a database now like Massachusettes?

• 5 weeks later...

After Christmas sales? 50% off? I'm not sure if this was just a computer oversight or a new game...

Merry Brite Christmas cards-On the box it says "sugg. retail $16.00 50% OFF you pay $7.99

If the store says 50% off all Christmas items, how much do you think I was supposed to pay for those cards? I thought I would be charged around $4.00. I paid $7.99 at CVS on Robinson. I should have double checked via the scanner kiosk.

:) I know. Caveat Emptor...scan your stuff to double check the discount!!!! I usually do. BTW, there is no white tissue paper left, only red and green. The Dollar Tree by Price Chopper had pretty tissue paper at 50% off as well as gift wrap. The wrap isn't terribly strong but fine for shirt/sweater boxes. At $0.50 a roll you really can't beat that.

I was there looking for Sonoma Orchard shelf paper. They didn't have any so I guess I'll have to head to Vestal and hope they still have some.

TIME TO CLEAN OUT THE CUPBOARDS BUBBA! :P

• 1 month later...

Beware the cake mix! I picked up a Duncan Hines classic Butter Golden cake mix. I thought I was purchasing a normal cake mix that required eggs. oil and water. NOT THIS ONE! This one calls for 3 eggs. water and 7 tablespoons of softened butter. Good thing I purchased a new microwave to soften the butter. I will say it's a much nicer cake...less sweet, fluffier and surprisingly not butter laden tasting. I was expecting something heavy, it isn't.

• 5 months later...

I was at Wegmans this morning to pick up something for dinner. If you've never tried Wegman's sirloin roast... in a pan on a rack, 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. lower to 325 then 15-20 minutes per pound depending on how rare you like it. I let it rest then use my meat slicer to get it really thin-some for dinner and some for sandwiches. So it's sirloin roast and cauliflower with cheese sauce and the meat is resting now.

But anyway...I also picked up a normal cantaloupe for $2.99. It smelled great, felt and looked ripe, it was ripe. I cut it up into chunks...not sweet. So not sweet that IMO the aftertaste was kind of bitter. If that's what you're hungry for, pay the extra dollar and choose one of their specialty melons. Now I'm sorry I didn't.

• 1 month later...

:) ^ If you are looking for what is probably the best of the last cantaloupe of the season...I just came from Russell Farms on Old Vestal Rd. They were 2/$5.00. I only bought one and now I'm sorry I didn't buy 2. Perfectly sweet and ripe, well maybe a little over ripe but it'll be gone by tomorrow. They also had broccoli $1.00 a bunch.

:) ^ If you are looking for what is probably the best of the last cantaloupe of the season...I just came from Russell Farms on Old Vestal Rd. They were 2/$5.00. I only bought one and now I'm sorry I didn't buy 2. Perfectly sweet and ripe, well maybe a little over ripe but it'll be gone by tomorrow. They also had broccoli $1.00 a bunch.

Very nice cantaloupe for .99 each currently at Price Rite Vestal.

:D but I WANTED to go to the farmers market?! It's kind of a treat for me. They have huge heads of cabbage for $2.00 each. I'll be going back for them to make halupki to freeze, the tomato's actually taste like something...I wasn't going to buy any flowers but I did purchase one large purple aster plant. Every year I have illusions of creating some type of display with flowers, pumpkins and bales of hay but when you add all of that up it's out of my budget and I still have to start purchasing Halloween candy. So it's one nice plant and I'll get one pumpkin and I have halloween decorations I'll put up in a few weeks. I live by a school, and get 160-200 trick or treaters a year.

re: that display...I always thought it would be nice for picture taking on halloween night...Oh well... :)

• 2 years later...

That display...I did do the display last year and I left the 3 bales of straw because I planned to use it for raised bed gardening...huge mistake I won't be making this year. The stings that hold the bales together snapped and it was a big mess to clean up. I did use some of the straw in the bottoms of a couple of huge planters and popped my tomatoes in those. But that's not why I'm posting...

Last month I had a phone call from Amazon saying someone was trying to use my account to purchase a $994.00 I phone. Press one to authorize press two if not. I did not get to the phone in time to pick up...the machine on my landline answered. I immediately call the bank. He says it's a scam and that's what they want, they want you to panic. My card was due to expire soon so they were going to be sending a new card anyway. I also went in and changed my Amazon password. I've made less than 10 purchases on Amazon and usually it's a gift. I've no idea how this could have happened.

On 11/14/2016 at 5:52 PM, mikeyme56 said:

doctors are becoming like used car salesmen......I quit going.......

More like terrorists.

• 9 months later...

Rainx windshield wipers. So I splurged on these yesterday They weren't cheap...$32.00 apiece. I had seen commercials and from reading the packaging I was under the impression the blades were coated and I would not need to "rainx" my windshield if I want the droplets to bead off. NOPE In fact, I think the rain sticks to windshield more in between swipes which gets messy when you have a truck spraying past you. 

• 1 year later...

Check you bank accounts! Door Dash just charged me $9.99 for a membership I didn't sign up for or agree to.

They said Oh sorry it'll take 5 to 7 days to put the money back in.