Loving Life

Today at 10:30 AM, my husband and I were in our backyard in Vestal and noticed a black drone coming across the road from where we live and flying over our house and when we spotted it, it took off down the road. I think that drones should be regulated and kept away from private property. Why should our privacy be invaded. These drones can take pictures and video of you and your home. With no regulations in effect, I can just imagine at Christmas, these rotten spy gadgets can and will be the hot item for this year. What can a land owner do about them? You can't shoot them down because of using a weapon within so many feet of other houses in the area, or you will be arrested. Any ideas?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today at 10:30 AM, my husband and I were in our backyard in Vestal and noticed a black drone coming across the road from where we live and flying over our house and when we spotted it, it took off down the road. I think that drones should be regulated and kept away from private property. Why should our privacy be invaded. These drones can take pictures and video of you and your home. With no regulations in effect, I can just imagine at Christmas, these rotten spy gadgets can and will be the hot item for this year. What can a land owner do about them? You can't shoot them down because of using a weapon within so many feet of other houses in the area, or you will be arrested. Any ideas?

Be prepared, shoot it down.

Be prepared, shoot it down.

Makes sense to me. Make your own urban camo and you will not be on film to be identified. ( A nice brick or horizontal siding pattern should do it )

Doing so might make you a law0breaker but why worry, criminals seem to have little to fear from "laws".

The Academy of Model Aeronautics, which is a voluntary national organization, has members agree not to overfly people or structures with their models; or fly a model out of sight from the pilot's position.

But any dyckhead can buy a drone and a transmitter.

It's a shame this element will probably lose what has been a great hobby for 60 years that hasn't bothered many folks.

Isn't that always the way? 1% spoil it for the other 99%.

Look for more regulation, more taxes, new bureaus and a larger government to protect us from drones. "For our own good".

Why should our privacy be invaded. These drones can take pictures and video of you and your home.What can a land owner do about them? You can't shoot them down because of using a weapon within so many feet of other houses in the area, or you will be arrested. Any ideas?

There are other issues here beyond the discharge of a firearm, including destruction of someone's private property, damage to anything hit by the debris, and, potentially, to my surprise, destruction of a flying aircraft (federal).

As far as privacy goes, this is some pretty well-settled law for photographers. In general, people can take pictures of things that are visible in public. (That is, that they can see without trespassing.) This includes your house and property. If your wife is sunbathing naked in the yard and I can see it from the sidewalk, I'm not the one invading her privacy, she's actually quite possibly the one committing indecent exposure. I've heard of cases where people did things like climb on the roof or get a ladder and so saw over a fence, and this was also not an invasion of privacy since they were well within their rights to stand in the place where they were standing and, therefore, to see what they were seeing.

There's an argument to be made that drones are trespassing when they're flying over your property, but that's not absolute, since the airspace high enough to be safely used by aircraft is considered a public highway:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/if-i-fly-a-uav-over-my-neighbors-house-is-it-trespassing/263431/

I'd argue that if the angle is low enough to look inside your windows, it's probably too low to transit at speed safely (where it looks like they could easily crash into trees, power lines, rooftops, etc.), and so is trespassing instead of traveling a public highway. California is apparently trying to clear this up by setting a firm height restriction at 350 feet:

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-assembly-drones-body-cameras-20150824-story.html

I figure the rule of thumb is the same as it's always been: if you truly expect privacy, go inside, lock your door, and close your curtains.

He'll any rifle will do! Shoot the damn thing down! There won't be any video the drone will be yours. Camo would be a drastic improvement to Jo Blow.

Are you gittin sweet on my? (gosh, i be flattered)

"It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood." - James Madison

HEY, that reminds me! Got a good coincidence for the conspiracy lovin folks.

Remember the guy a few months back arrested in Hancock area with too much nasty "fireworks"? Well, did you know the guy in SC recently arrested with a couple trailers of stolen weaponss and mucho ammo lives near York SC where there is a "religious" compound affiliated with the hancock froup? :)

Some folks are already having fun with that one.

What's the difference if a private plane flies over your property and takes zoomed photos? Is that illegal? Or is it ok because you don't know about it.

To the "shoot it down, no one will know" crowd: Some of them have live streaming video capability. If they know where it was when they heard the shot and lost the feed, all they'd need is to call LE.

Who but a drunken idiot wouldn't have a serial number they could ID it with?

What's the difference if a private plane flies over your property and takes zoomed photos? Is that illegal? Or is it ok because you don't know about it.

People always imagine rights they never had. There are folks who end up on People of Walmart and scream about the "invasion of their privacy", not realizing they're the ones who went out in public looking like that and that everyone has a right to point and laugh.

I used to know a guy who was paranoid some scumbag a loved one was dating would rob him and kept insisting he "didn't want them to know where he lived". Fine, but I didn't have the heart to point out that his tax records were public, you could Google his name and get his address and landline, as well as a map to his house, aerial photographs of the property, and a StreetView of him walking to his garage with the door open so you could see everything inside.

Hell, if you bought your house recently, there's most likely dozens of photographs of the interior on real estate sites like Trulia or Zillow, published by the realtor acting on behalf of the prior owner, and there's not much to do about it, because the pictures aren't yours and it wasn't your house at the time. More than enough for a burglar to figure out your floorplan, what kinds of locks you have, and scout your neighborhood without ever visiting.

If you want to hide something in your yard, you'd better bury it real good. You can't cry foul about your privacy if you just throw a tarp over it, the wind blows it away, and somebody sees it and tells all the neighbors.

If I were to find one spying over my house...I'll take it out...period...I don't give a damn...Too many idiots out there now a days, step on my toes and I'm stepping back...Been around to long to let this kind of crap go on, it's time to start stepping up for doing the right thing....And taking an annoying, spying, busy body out of the air is the right thing...

You mean besides you? Shoot it down by the time they figgure out where it went down you would have gotten rid of it or give two shits anyways and if they didn't have live video how would they fly in the first place out side of in plane site lol (pun).

It would take them 90 seconds or less to figure out where it went down. How you gonna get rid of it in 89 seconds if you don't live next to a cliff?

Just because the video is out of range doesn't mean the navigation is, too. It still keeps flying after the video feed has dropped.

You can buy the cheap ones with small ranges or the more expensive ones with wider ranges. Anyone with an expensive one is more likely to have some idea how far it will go before you lose the signal.

Obviously you know very little about them.

Hell, if you bought your house recently, there's most likely dozens of photographs of the interior on real estate sites like Trulia or Zillow, published by the realtor acting on behalf of the prior owner, and there's not much to do about it, because the pictures aren't yours and it wasn't your house at the time. More than enough for a burglar to figure out your floorplan, what kinds of locks you have, and scout your neighborhood without ever visiting.

My house was just on the MLS listing.

I want to thank you for giving the less experienced burglars out there some great ideas.

My house was just on the MLS listing.

I want to thank you for giving the less experienced burglars out there some great ideas.

Got a link?

Seriously, though, hopefully, it'll also give a couple of less experienced homeowners out there some great ideas about how realistic the risk is and how important it is that they invest in the right security devices.

Just as important to not make it generally known you own anything worth taking, if you can help it. That carton the 60" plasma TV came in left out next to the garbage cans is kind of a giveaway.