Loving Life

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing illegal about shooting one down if it's overflying your property and there is no firearms restrictive local ordinance, either.

As long as you're at least 500 ft from neighbors or have their permission.

Destroying a flying aircraft is a federal crime punishable by up to 20 years in prison. Threatening to do so is punishable by up to 5.

Even if federal prosecutors decline to get involved (which is likely), you're still looking at destruction of property. You can use force to prevent harm, not simply to end a trespass.

If you don't believe me, shoot up someone else's car you don't want in your driveway anymore.

It's not an aircraft. It's a remotely controlled toy nuisancing and trespassing. Like when the neighbor kid's frisbee lands on your roof. You don't have to toss it back. Obviously it is out of control if it is over my property; therefore a hazard.

If it were an aircraft it would have FAA registration numbers displayed on the side. If "anything that flies" is an aircraft then skeet or grouse shooting wouldn't be legal.

If that property is on or over my property it is subject to the same greeting a feral dog would receive.

It's not an aircraft.

The NTSB ruled against you last year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngoglia/2014/11/18/ntsb-overturns-pirker-finds-for-faa-that-drones-are-aircraft-subject-to-its-rules/

Obviously it is out of control if it is over my property; therefore a hazard.

This is probably a novel argument, but one that would be unlikely to pan out, especially since it will likely become much more out of control and hazardous after you shoot it.

The law doesn't broadly provide for shooting up other people's nuisances.

If you are a law abiding citizen, what are you worried about? Only one involved in illegal activity should worry??????

In spite of what a great body I have, while sunbathing I have no desire to allow some stranger to observe it without my permission.

Even before our obamanation Legal has not necessarily meant Right.

Per the Forbes/FAA article: If the drones are compliant with the FAA rules (FAR Part 91.119 - Minimum Safe Altitudes: General) it won't be a problem. As they will be 1,000 ft above my home or at minimum 500 ft above open property and I couldn't hit one in that case. Everyone's happy . . . provided the drones are inspected annually and the operators pass the civilian pilot written and physical exams.

Apparently some folks regard a paper airplane thrown by hand as an "aircraft" by the broad definition. The government will be glad st set up regulatory offices to take care of charging us all to monitor the bozos who fly drones recklessly.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=14:2.0.1.3.10#se14.2.91_1119

None at all. They operate on 2.4 gHz - just like a cell phone. In fact, the new generation of R/C transmitters make a 1:1 contact with the receiver and skip frequencies a thousand times a second to prevent "brown-outs" or signal loss.

What you may be able to do is disrupt the video feed if the pilot is using remote video to guide the model with reflected sunlight to "blind" the camera with an overloaded image receptor.

So, something like a large magnifying glass? I'm thinking like a satellite dish that you remote point yourself?

(satellite dish shaped/sized magnifying glass)

If you can get the magnifying glass between the sun and the drone and it has a couple hundred foot focal length . . . maybe. A polished dish (parabolic reflector) would work, but it would only concentrate the light at one specific distance. Just a plain mirror would dazzle the video.

How about barrage balloons - helium balloons on 100 ft ribbons. Festive AND defensive! Mylar ones would also have the dazzle feature when the sun's out.

Pump .22LR would be a LOT cheaper. Or even a fast flying model with a 30 foot streamer loosely attached. Overfly a drones and the prop-blast will suck the ribbon down into the rotors; and they don't fly well at all with one rotor stopped.

^ None of these seems practical but neither does mine. Kind of a conundrum because who has time to stand around looking for drones all day and night? When this topic first started I had this funny thought that I'd be washing dishes, look up and see some type of flying mechanism in my kitchen window. I suppose if someone really wanted to spy on you they have cameras that look like insects etc.

Per the Forbes/FAA article: If the drones are compliant with the FAA rules (FAR Part 91.119 - Minimum Safe Altitudes: General) it won't be a problem. As they will be 1,000 ft above my home or at minimum 500 ft above open property and I couldn't hit one in that case. Everyone's happy . . .

Regardless of altitude, shooting it down is a federal crime. Whether the pilot is violating the height restriction or not, the law does not provide for you enforcing it in the FAA's behalf. Your earlier statements were incorrect.

As with other non-violent trespassing, the law allows you to call the police to have the nuisance handled, not to shoot it to pieces.

I only push this point because talking big about laws that don't exist is going to encourage some local gomer to get themselves arrested. Our area is in the news for idiocy often enough as it is.

Well Bing what about the remote controlled flying insects? I think 60 minutes had a show on them years ago with regard to military and police using them. What's the difference? A bug flying over your property or literally in your kitchen window?

:) I saw that too during my cursory search but as I said...who has time to stand around looking for drones. I'm lucky I found a kitten this year :D Good girl caught 2 mice already!!!! I digress, I digress!!!!

(She's so fast!)

Well Bing what about the remote controlled flying insects? I think 60 minutes had a show on them years ago with regard to military and police using them. What's the difference? A bug flying over your property or literally in your kitchen window?

Inside your home is criminal trespass and if the purpose is another crime, like theft or assault, it becomes burglary and you are entitled to kill an intruder.

Your lawn is not burglary. If you attacked an otherwise peaceful trespasser walking through your yard, you'd have big legal problems. If someone won't leave but is not threatening, you're supposed to call the cops, not start blasting away.

The human analogy only goes so far, obviously, but all of this is assuming the drone is in a position considered a trespasser in this first place (people shooting drones have been caught lying/exaggerating), and disregarding the fact that, trespasser or not, federal law says you can't go knocking aircraft out of the sky.

Inside your home is not FAA jurisdiction. Above your roof is.

My kitchen window looks over my driveway. A drone flies through my driveway and I can't take it out? I can't perhaps stun/disrupt it with the sink sprayer?

Regardless of altitude, shooting it down is a federal crime. Whether the pilot is violating the height restriction or not, the law does not provide for you enforcing it in the FAA's behalf. Your earlier statements were incorrect.

As with other non-violent trespassing, the law allows you to call the police to have the nuisance handled, not to shoot it to pieces.

I only push this point because talking big about laws that don't exist is going to encourage some local gomer to get themselves arrested. Our area is in the news for idiocy often enough as it is.

I bet it's not. If someone flies a $200 drone over your house and you shoot it down in an area otherwise allowable for gunfire I bet it never makes it into a federal court system. In fact, I'm willing to go farther than just bet on it . . . if the situation arises.