Stabbing at SUNY Broome Dorms

McBob

Lol and everyone blames Crabb, dont you think this kind of recruiting has been going on since the late 60s? Things have gone on at the schools for years and buried this is nothing new.

Things go on everywhere, all the time, and are "buried" because most of the time, nobody really cares.

There is an argument to be made that these incidents may very well get more media attention then crimes in the rest of the area due to to the sensational nature of it being young people and possibly out-of-towners. I doubt that if I got into a fight and received a non-critical injury to the chest, that the media would rush to the scene and the city would send out a press release. Little old ladies get knocked down in grocery store parking lots for their purses. Drug deals go on right outside local stores in plain view. It happens, and to varying degrees, it happens everywhere in America. Unfortunately, I don't think it's unfair to suggest that in our area, people typically have to be literally set on fire or shot to death before the media takes an interest in them as crime victims. (Some WBNG reporter was probably heartbroken to learn that he had rushed down there and didn't have a dramatic murder to cover.)

Without the facts, it's impossible to say how bad it is. In my opinion, a crime rate equal to the crime rate in our local community would still be far too high for a dorm. (We should aspire to get crime down to NYC levels.) Either way, the college would benefit from being straight about the situation instead of letting gossip and rumors dominate.

I agree with Bingloid that dorms were inevitable to build up the population for the college. It is common now on most community college campuses in NYS. Some research was done prior to the building of the dorms to look at what size the dorm should be, and this size apparently falls into a range that most colleges find to be problematic. Certainly it's the people housed in the dorms that cause the problems, but something about this particular size and the population it attracts, difficulty staffing, etc. If you look at the crime reports of other SUNY community colleges that have around this size of housing, they have a pretty high rate of criminal activity, with Broome ranking right up at the top. All of the information is publicly accessible for any college campus, so you can go to their website and see what's going on.

The criminal activity at Broome has been steadily climbing and the degree of aggressive behavior is getting frightening. Yes a gun did go off, yes someone was shooting a bb gun off at people, there was a big fight on campus at a sports event, resulting in a student being hospitalized and games being moved off campus. Sexual assaults, theft, drinking/drug use, etc. All college campuses sadly have to deal with these issues, but it really seems out of control at Broome and the campus police can only do so much - because they are understaffed. It has to be really frightening for students that want to live there, want to learn to have to try to deal with all of this and not feel safe.

There was such a rush to slap that building up that it's put together poorly. Students will tell you that there is little sound proofing and noise carries. Also is the poor quality of food served to the students in the dining hall - very high priced meal plan, poor quality and not much - students report they are hungry. No food service on the weekends so students do have to fend for themselves.

It seems like enrollment is down on many college campuses so there is recruiting going on. As a previous poster mentioned, Delhi is also seeing a dramatic change in the student population, with an increase in students from NYC. If a person wants an education, then they should be given the opportunity to try. Many of these students that are being recruited are so ill prepared for college that colleges now have to have a wide range of remedial courses available to get these students up to the bare basic entry level of performance for college. Many of these students have no idea how to study, how to interact on a college campus with other students, faculty and staff. So it's a really big mess.

Community colleges are a great place for students to start their college education. It is cost effective and it gives students the opportunity to get the core courses out of the way, work on developing a strong average to be competitive to transfer. Contrary to what a lot of people think, it is not easier because it's a 'junior' college. It can't be because it's still a part of the state system so there are standards. Broome and Binghamton U do have a good working relationship, but no student is ever 'slid' into BU. They have to earn their acceptance and it requires a pretty stiff average.

- Yes, a professor died of a drug overdose a few years ago. Many of his colleagues, as well as students, were shocked.

It's a difficult situation, but to suggest that he should be purged from the school's collective memory because he failed to die in an approved manner strikes me as awfully low and classless. If anything, it should be emphasized as an opportunity to talk about the fact that addicts in our area are not just homeless panhandlers and petty criminals, but are increasingly neighbors, relatives, and coworkers who seem otherwise functional.

I knew Wes and got to know him in the early 2000's. He was a Vestal cop at the time.

Wes was not a dumb guy, but didn't possess some of the right kind of common sense. He was quite the party boy after hours. He got in trouble several times in alcohol-related events while at the VPD, and he may have lost his job for that. I don't recall as I lost touch with him back then.

I do know he moved on and got a law degree and passed the bar exam. From there he went to BCC.

BCC's problem with him dying of an overdose was that he was a former cop, a lawyer AND the head of the Criminal Justice Dept. at the school.

Looks REAL bad.

So basically what everyone is saying is that they need MORE SECURITY, and the right kind of it.

Before they get inundated with problems (and the accompanying lawsuits) they need to get AHEAD of the curve and get it done NOW.

Being "understaffed" is little more than a weak excuse. How could they expect to recruit and register more inner-city kids and NOT have problems follow?

Re: the BB gun and the "accidental discharge" incidents. I live in the general neighborhood. Should some other a******e decide they want to pull a similar stunt and it comes into the residential section nearby, they'll find a few residents won't take this lying down, and I doubt they'll like it.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, it is not easier because it's a 'junior' college. It can't be because it's still a part of the state system so there are standards.

I will agree that my personal experience is not all-encompassing. I attended SUNY B back in the early 90's and BCC in the late 90's.

At the time, there was a WORLD of difference in the quality, native intelligence and the skill set of the two sets of students. I found a lot of BCC students to be just plain dumb, incapable of critical thinking and barely literate. In the entry level English class, the median comprehension level was that of an average 8th grader and I'm NOT exaggerating for effect.

I ran into my Psych prof at the gym a few months after I completed his class and I asked him if my observations were correct. He said I was dead on accurate, that entry level students were coming into BCC a LOT less intelligent and educated than even 10 years prior. It had been downgrading steadily for a few decades and recently was getting progressively worse. Scarily so.

He loved teaching and was very good at it. He was set to hit retirement age soon. He was one of those kind of teachers who would have not retired and kept it for the love of helping people learn but he was getting discouraged. I wish I had found out what he decided to do.

I was 25 years OUT of high school, with zero secondary education credits in my name when I decided to take some classes. In the Psych, English and a Calculus class I was far and away the best student. TWENTY FIVE YEARS after graduating high school.

What does that tell you?

I'm sorry but there is NO WAY I'm going to believe that a school like BCC is not an easy school to get into or succeed in. If someone can't make a passing grade there, they simply don't belong in any secondary ed. program and would be better served attending vocational training at BOCES.

I'm now 60 and I fully believe that if I were to attend BCC now, I'd STILL be a standout student there. Not real mentally challenging.

I agree with some of your points Mr. Wanker. The biggest problem with any community college in the state is the open admissions policy - anyone can apply and be accepted. So yes it is easy to get into Broome - if you breathe, you are in…it's open admission. Back in the 'dark ages' there used to be a minimum high school average to get into Broome, but no more. So it can be a dumping ground for students that want to go to college but cannot get accepted into the 4 year school. For a percentage of those students, they are lazy and they have the govt paying for their education. So if it's not their $, who cares. Now that is not to say that there isn't a percentage of students that are motivated and governmentally funded - I don't want to make a blanket statement. For some, it will be the kick start they need; for others, they will fail out. College is not for everyone. If you want to try it, great. If not, learn a trade. To have steady employment as a tradesperson many times will provide a higher income than someone with a college degree.

So because community colleges are all open admission, they now have to provide remedial courses to get those students that do not have basic college skills up to standard. It is very frustrating for professors in a community college because they want to teach the subject that they love and teach it at a college level and not have to 'dumb down' the material. And they shouldn't! If you can't cut it, then leave. But then the college gets all twitchy about retention and losing their almighty funding for enrollment. So it's not about the greater glory of being educated when it comes to the higher ups, it's about business and bucks.

Since the whole No Child Left Behind movement and the Common Core have come about, students are not being taught solid skills to prepare them for college - things like note taking or how to study, things that many people learned before all this baloney. So they are coming into college, passive and just sitting there expecting to have material thrown at them. They memorize it, take a test and move on. They have no idea how the material applies to what they are learning. College is a time to think critically and to discuss ideas, but this gets lost on many of them. It's very frustrating for professors to try to get a simple discussion going. Factor in that today's students are also driven by technology and are losing the ability to have face to face contact and actually talk to someone.

As for the degree of preparation for housing - it was poor at best. The president wanted it, rushed to have it slapped together and had no forethought as to the protection and safety of the students. Then recruited a large number of NYC students that were allowed to run amuck without any consequences. Very poor planning that they should be ashamed of. Campus security is a very good and decent group of professionals, but they are understaffed and very much overworked. It's ridiculous that this wasn't a top priority with the college's budget. I'm only surprised that it has taken this long for a stabbing and guns to be in the dorms….

As for you and your education Mr. Wanker, I commend you. It was something you wanted and you were motivated to succeed. You worked at it. It's really a pretty simple recipe to have success in college - study.

I agree with some of your points Mr. Wanker. The biggest problem with any community college in the state is the open admissions policy - anyone can apply and be accepted. So yes it is easy to get into Broome - if you breathe, you are in…it's open admission.

Factor in that today's students are also driven by technology and are losing the ability to have face to face contact and actually talk to someone.

As for you and your education Mr. Wanker, I commend you. It was something you wanted and you were motivated to succeed. You worked at it. It's really a pretty simple recipe to have success in college - study.

I like the whole "Mr. Wanker" thing. ;)

I did not realize it was open admission. That explains a lot. It didn't used to be although I have no idea when that changed.

I see the society-wide "I don't have to learn it....the machines will figure it out for me" thing going on. I like computers. I use one at work and I have been for about 12-15 years now. I use it as a tool, not a crutch to avoid thinking and work. Its obvious our kids are being dumbed down by reliance on the technology. Sad.

Actually I never got a degree for a few simple reasons.

Bingo..Nicely said...Wanker I feel your pain in regards to the medical community...In my opinion the Education system we now have is in dire need of repair...It is true that the kids are relying almost solely on technology...Think not...Go to a cash register that looks like they may be a student see if they can count the change in their heads if the cash register is off....I have a friend that goes to BCC, he attends class for what it's worth but most of the work and testing is done on the computer all they have to do is punch a couple of keys for the answer Instead of having to commit to memory...How is one to learn anything if you give it to them ???

I agree with Wanker if you don't have a working knowledge of healthcare, you're screwed no doubt...

• 2 weeks later...

One big difference between now and any time in the past is the push to get every kid into college. It's one thing to strive for that goal by providing the resources kids need to succeed, but it's a whole different thing to simply push everyone into college.

Archived