Done Deal: The Yanks acquire Aroldis Chapman from Reds

27 Time World Champions

Jack Curry of YES Network reports and Ken Rosenthal and others confirm that the Yankees have acquired reliever Aroldis Chapman from the Cincinnati Reds for four minor leaguers.

Adding Chapman would make the Yankees even tougher in the late innings than they already are. As Joel Sherman of the New York Post just noted, Chapman struck out 15.74 batters per nine last year, Miller struck out 14.59 per nine and Betances struck out 14.04. Thats the top three in all of baseball and now theyre together.

Chapman is one of the games best relievers and is certainly its hardest thrower. He turns 28 years old in February and saved 33 games with a 1.63 ERA and a 116/33 K/BB ratio in 66 1/3 innings in 2015. Across parts of six seasons, Chapman has a career 2.17 ERA. He strikes guys out like its going out of style and routinely tops triple digits on the gun.

Heading back to Cincinnati are minor leaguers right-handers Caleb Cotham and Rookie Davis and infielders Eric Jagielo and Tony Renda. Which is not exactly a bumper crop of top prospects.

That's a great trade! It would be an awesome bullpen. they need to add another starter and they will be tough to beat

I agree. The Yanks just need starters who can give them 6 innings because after that, the game is pretty much over provided the Yanks have enough bats to score enough runs. That's gonna be a problem I'm afraid. Some guys may have to have career years for things to work out come October.

Look for Manfred to lay down some punishment and that's a good thing for both Chapman and the Yanks for obvious reasons. I'm thinking around 40 games. Hopefully, Chapman can stay out of trouble and learn his lesson. A risky move for the Yanks, but I think one worth taking. He could also be used for possible trade bait, but I don't think that's what the Yanks have in mind. Just a terrifying bullpen for opposing teams.

Archived