Congrats JC Wildcats on Section 4 Championship!

sportsexpert

I was surprised to see the Seton girls and Norwich boys lose. I wasn't surprised to see the Wildcats lose. Their physical brand of basketball looks more like rugby to me than to what Dr. Naismith invented. We enjoy watching all of the kids play but the game sure has changed and become much more physical.

I read yesterday that Section 4 is the only section in the state without a girls team still alive.

Add to that the fact that the only boys team still alive is little Class C Moravia, yuck year for Section 4 hoops.

And the wrestlers did quite poorly overall too.

I think part of the issue for boys winter sports.... It's a football town. There are only a finite number of kids in the more "athletic" (so to speak) schools. When they play football until nearly December every year (which I love) basketball and wrestling take a hit.

Is he the JV coach? that guy seemed decent, at least with x's and o's. JC, like Binghamton, and too a lesser degree UE, have a pretty large socio-economic dichotomy that makes that job a little tougher than in some schools I suspect. The coaches need to motivate and discipline across the board. What drives the rich kid, certainly is often different than what drives the inner city kid with one (maybe) parent and a whole different set of needs and intentions. No excuses for those coaches, I'm just saying it takes the right guy. Corgell, Tarricone, etc... There aren't a lot of those guys running around anymore. When they do come along, they are the missing link for those programs. JMHO

Archived