Charter Closes TWC/Bright House Deal: What’s Next for Customers?

joey22999

Charter Closes TWC/Bright House Deal: What’s Next for Customers?
Thu, 05/19/2016 - 8:07am
by Laura Hamilton, Editor, @cedmagazine

Charter Communications closed its acquisitions of Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks on Wednesday after many months of obtaining regulatory OKs — not to mention dodging vociferous opposition from groups like Stop Mega Cable. The combined company will serve 25 million customers in 41 states.

The FCC gave the deal a green light last week and that announcement was quickly followed by a go-ahead from California regulators marking the last necessary regulatory step. Conditions were imposed on the deal, which are covered in the article here.

Charter will phase out the Time Warner Cable name, a company spokesperson told Bloomberg News. Included in the rebranding effort is Bright House Networks.
Deeper Insights

Life after CableCARD

In a statement, Charter says the completion of the transactions will drive investment into the combined advanced broadband network, and it promises faster broadband speeds, better video products, more affordable phone service and more competition for consumers and businesses. “Charter’s network and product investments combined with its consumer friendly operating strategy will also lead to faster customer and financial growth, enhancing career development opportunities for its employees and driving value for shareholders,” the statement continues.

In the very short term, current TWC and Bright House subscribers won’t see changes immediately, Charter’s Chairman and CEO Tom Rutledge notes. “Though in the coming months they will begin to hear more from us about the Spectrum brand, and the product improvements and consumer friendly policies that come with it,” Rutledge says. “Charter’s objective is to provide high-quality products at great prices, and back it up with excellent customer service, and we intend to continually improve the way we do business in order to be the very best at what we do."

In the very short term, current TWC and Bright House subscribers won’t see changes immediately,

Translation: You won't see a drastic price hike just yet but you will...so bend over and get ready!

(Of course TWC cusomers are quite used to being in this awkward position anyway)

Not bad for the crook Paul Allen.....what just 7-8 years ago Charter filed for bankruptcy and flushed out all the common stockholders....this after Paul Allen's very public promise to back the company if it was in trouble. While the commons were wiped out, Allen never lost anything (charter was #4 cable co. then).

Now, it's going to be the largest cable company in the world...and all this crap is legal/approved.

Talk about good ole boys...

Guaranteed, prices will go up, Charter is criminal to the core.

Oh and yeah, I am holding a grudge for the 60k theses scumbags robbed from me. CROOKS!

I've had AT&T for over two years and haven't had any increase and I have everything I had with time Werner .

TWC-$175.00

AT&T-$105 but because I live in a connected community I pay $65.

Just goes to show another rip off in New York State, how many politicians even pay for cable? I'm sure they vote in favor of TWC every time too.

I've had AT&T for over two years and haven't had any increase and I have everything I had with time Werner .

TWC-$175.00

Just goes to show another rip off in New York State, how many politicians even pay for cable? I'm sure they vote in favor of TWC every time too.

Does AT&T have a cable package? I'm aware of AT&T internet/phone, but not cable tv. Would like to get rid of TWC once and for all.

TWC-$175.00

How awesome. You get a discount for being in a connected community and those of us who live in Binghamton PAY a franchise fee. WHERE IS THE DONALD WHEN YOU NEED HIM? :P Somebody needs to cut a better deal when this goes through.

Does AT&T have a cable package? I'm aware of AT&T internet/phone, but not cable tv. Would like to get rid of TWC once and for all.

AT&T doesn't offer cable locally. Just like Verizon doesn't offer FiOS around here. AT&T owns DirecTV now, so you can kind of get their service, in a round about way. But their rates keep increasing as well, and their customer service has gone way down since AT&T took over.

Here's how some Time Warner techs install internet. I've heard similar horror stories locally.

Then I saw this video for Verizon FIOS:

I think we've now reached the point described in the intro to the movie Idiocracy. The stupid people have taken over and overrun the planet. (Yes, the announcer is that NFL guy)

Archived