BC open

casual observer

I went once and I'll never go again. I'm just not a golf fan. A lot of people really enjoy the tournament though, and it is an economic stimulus for the area. I hope it keeps happening. And as a previous poster stated; turn the channel if you don't like it. CFJ PTA pulls in a lot of coin from charging people to park there. OLGC raises some funds from parking as well. Friends of mine do quite well charging people to park in their yards too.

I do feel some people get just a tad too happy over the event, but overall the tournament is a good thing for the area.

2) Lots of people go just to get hammered

I used to play in an oft-working local band. We played (what was then) the BC Open for a handful of years.

It was blatantly obvious that the after concert party in the beer tent and pavilion were nothing more than balls-out frat parties/beer blasts for Soccer Moms and middle aged wannabes.

It became sorta scary thinking about all those really, really drunk people driving away from the place. I used to go home with my head on a swivel.

I mean literally hundreds and hundreds of people staggering out to their cars.

The only other over-any-bounds-of-civility-or-sanity drunk bash I've seen that compares is the Hooley in Hillcrest.

I haven't been in a few years, but used to go often, and had fun.

We liked to walk around and watch a few holes, have a few beers, and sometimes try to stay for the Fri night bands, but that's where things got ugly.

It's not a good venue to listen, by any means, unless you're in one of the Corp tents, and the carnage up at the main area afterwards was frightening.

And, THAT was before they started bringing in the "popular" country bands.

$60 for the show tonight, in that setting, is ridiculous, IMO.

That said, I think the event is good for the area, and if you're not into it, don't go.

Have to say, I'm surprised to hear that about the Hooley.

I used to play in an oft-working local band. We played (what was then) the BC Open for a handful of years.

It was blatantly obvious that the after concert party in the beer tent and pavilion were nothing more than balls-out frat parties/beer blasts for Soccer Moms and middle aged wannabes.

It became sorta scary thinking about all those really, really drunk people driving away from the place. I used to go home with my head on a swivel.

I mean literally hundreds and hundreds of people staggering out to their cars.

The only other over-any-bounds-of-civility-or-sanity drunk bash I've seen that compares is the Hooley in Hillcrest.

Leading up to Parade Day and St. Particks, even Halloween and the holidays you hear quite a bit about law enforcement ramping up efforts for crackdowns and DWI patrols for those times, but I can not for the life of me think of one time that they through out the warning about the Dick's Open Friday Night sh*t show. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Of course I could have missed seeing something but I never hear about any DWI patrols out for tonight. I've seen people staggering down Grippen Ave on numerous occasions. Frightening!

If it is good for local business I am all for it - but I have no interest in pasty guys playing with small balls.

In fact, watching "sports" doesn't do much for me. Doing things interests me. Not watching others do things.

If it is good for local business I am all for it - but I have no interest in pasty guys playing with small balls.

In fact, watching "sports" doesn't do much for me. Doing things interests me. Not watching others do things.

You can drive the golf cart, keep the score card and hold the beer! :P:)

BTW, did anyone see last week the University of North Carolina decided the mention of Golf or suggesting golf outings in your place of work is considered a microagression because some people have never golfed? I just went back to that and they changed their minds already. Not mention GOLF in North Carolina?!!!

These college students...where do you think most people LEARN to do new things?

BTW, did anyone see last week the University of North Carolina decided the mention of Golf or suggesting golf outings in your place of work is considered a microagression because some people have never golfed? I just went back to that and they changed their minds already. Not mention GOLF in North Carolina?!!!

I've long said to some bosses at my workplace if they outlawed all "golf talk" that productivity would rise 15 to 20%.

These college students...where do you think most people LEARN to do new things?

That's the thought police liberal mindset.

"I've long said to some bosses at my workplace if they outlawed all "golf talk" that productivity would rise 15 to 20%"

Eliminating smoke breaks would probably increase it by at least 50%

Eliminating shit-talk and gossip about the people you work with would increase it to at least 90+%

You can drive the golf cart, keep the score card and hold the beer! :P:)

I can hold a beer without the other two even easier. ;-)

My Father-in-law took up golf when he was 75 and continued to 93. (passed away at 95). I like his system. When I am old enough I plan to take up golf as well. ;-)

I can hold a beer without the other two even easier. ;-)

My Father-in-law took up golf when he was 75 and continued to 93. (passed away at 95). I like his system. When I am old enough I plan to take up golf as well. ;-)

:) Actually FS, that's how I eventually learned the game of golf! I started off driving the cart, keeping score and holding the beer can and the next thing I knew..."let me try to putt that one out". Then it was "let me try that 15 degree wedge" And then it was the pitching wedge, and the seven iron come full circle to...THE DRIVER!!! I don't golf much anymore, I can't risk a neck or back injury but I still drive the cart and enjoy the scenery.

That student group at NC State has no idea how much fun they're missing out on.

How many people are sick of this already?????? I couldn't care about this stupidity any less if I tried!!!! I am sick of wbng jamming it down my throat!

Turn the channel for crying out loud. Instead of complaining about the senior tour stopping off in Bingoland, you should be licking their balls.

Archived