Binghamton University Offers "Stop White People" Course. Story Makes Drudge.

YankeeDoodle

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thought:

I don't know why I didn't bother to look it up until now, but until this story, the #StopWhitePeople2k16 hashtag was used entirely as satire, to poke fun at white people acting dorky and/or trying to imitate black people and embarrassing themselves, especially dancing very badly to hip hop music. The people who named this session, while apparently completely oblivious to how the rest of the world that isn't up to speed on every internet meme might interpret it, obviously meant it as a joke about communicating about race, not that, as the over-the-top link in the OP claims, "white people are a cancer".

I don't think so and you can blame the "privileged" Conrad Taylor( who owns a mansion and a yacht) for that. On another note, wait till I get a hold of my nephew who was planning to be an RA this year. I thought my mother said he had to go back early for training.

I don't think so and you can blame the "privileged" Conrad Taylor( who owns a mansion and a yacht) for that.

Unsure what that has to do with it, but look for yourself.

https://twitter.com/search?q=stopwhitepeople2k16

Prior to today, it's just a bunch of white people who can't dance and white people doing particularly trashy or nerdy things, mostly used by other white people.

I don't think it's an excuse, they should have known how it would be taken, but the actual intent is obvious. They're in the kid bubble and assumed everybody else would know what it referred to and get the joke.

BINGO...the Donald Trump defense? NO, I'm not accepting that... and he's lucky too, because he's on his honor now.

darn...now I have to go listen to Rod Stewart...I was only joking my dear...

post edit... COB councilman Taylor, a SUNY student, described himself as privileged during a televised council meeting

COB councilman Taylor, a SUNY student, described himself as privileged during a televised council meeting

In fairness to Councilman Harry Potter, he's a 20-year-old from Morningside Heights. According to Point2Homes, a reference source for information about neighborhoods, the average household income is over $125,000/year, the median home price is $870,000, and the average household net worth is $996,000. About 75% of the residents have a 4-year degree or higher.

I'd say being born to parents who can raise you in a neighborhood where "millionaire" is "average" can be accurately described as privilege, for reasons other than race. "Spoiled little snot" could also be a way of putting it, but I don't know the guy. ;)

I just think that giving them the "it's just kids" pass won't work here. My question is if it were #StopBlackPeople2K16 would this be viewed the same? I'd say that's a big NO. Rev. Al and Jesse jerkoff would be camping out on the BU front lawn right now. Tired of the double standards played today.

Yup. While most of the media knew about Monica's dress and sat on the story, he had the b@lls to release the story.

Funny that you think he is so bad. But if you look closely at pictures and videos from newsrooms across the country, if you check what is on people's screens in the background, you'll often find them parked on Drudge. Many in the industry admit that Drudge now drives the news cycle.

You're also saying that, because the link appeared on Drudge, that this course is not being offered over on the Parkway?

I do need to say some of the links on Drudge have confused me lately. The only one I will mention is one linked a couple days back to a CBS (?) report and video related to a white lives matter group protesting outside a National Association of Always Complaining People (NAACP). It was dated the day before I looked at it, but I would swear it was an old article and video.

Probably just me, but there has been a loot of deja vu going on lately in news stories.

t is a local thing now so maybe it is worth commenting on now? What the hell, things happening around the country are simply isolated incidences until they hit home.

On a totally unrelated coincidence, National Archives are missing mucho number of Vince Foster Files. Maybe the ghosts of he and Sandy Burgler got together and raided the place again?

BTW the internet is also missing FONDO Acceso since last November...should probably get back to that on a different topic page.

http://www.wicz.com/story/32831634/binghamton-university-stopwhitepeople2k16-training-program-slammed-by-bloggers-social-media

Binghamton University's Vice President for Student Affairs Brian Rose released the following statement:
A program facilitated by three student resident advisors (RA’s) as part of an educational program for RA staff training has prompted public and internal comment and inquiry. The program title “#StopWhitePeople2K16” was drawn from a familiar hashtag in use on Twitter, and was not invented by the program facilitators. It is my understanding that the hashtag is commonly used ironically.
The optional program was developed by the students themselves, supported by a young professional staff person. Its purpose, as conceived, was to facilitate a discussion among the RA’s that would improve their ability to handle conflicts among residents around issues of diversity.
Upon learning of the concerns expressed over the session’s title by some off-campus groups and individuals, the university’s student-affairs office reviewed the session and the program content more closely to obtain an accurate understanding.
We verified that the actual program content was not “anti-white”. The inclusion of the program in the educational session was not driven by any university administration initiative to advocate any specific viewpoint on diversity. About 40-50 RA’s chose to attend the session which ran concurrently with some other sessions. Topically the discussion in the program was far-ranging, student driven and explored reverse racism, the relationship of communities of color with police, whiteness, crime and segregation in an open conversation format. Post session feedback predominantly described the session as a respectful and productive conversation. Professional staff followed up directly with a few participants who had a mixed reaction to the program in support of those participants.
What we strive to do from an administrative level is cultivate an environment where our students listen to one another, learn from one another and do so in a manner that doesn’t cause unnecessary harm. I have no indication that this particular program was inconsistent with the respectful environment we hope to support and sustain.

A long time ago I read a Scott Adams piece about how he believed humor works. He said something about proximity being an important part of writing humor, for instance how you can make a joke about something that is completely inoffensive, but because it's simply in close proximity to something solemn and serious, it's suddenly the worst outrage ever and you'll get angry letters for weeks. There was an opportunity for the professional staff person to look at that and provide a little mature guidance. "Uh, this is your session, but you guys realize how bad this could look to someone who doesn't get the reference, right?"

8IWo4.jpg

Analyst/therapist. If you don't get the reference, it's not quite the same business card.

Those three kids probably all just learned valuable lessons about overconfidence and communication skills.

Not buying it. How much were the STUDENTS PAID?

They probably would not be paid any additional stipend for running this discussion session but they certainly are being compensated for their duties as dorm RA's in general.

I just think that giving them the "it's just kids" pass won't work here. My question is if it were #StopBlackPeople2K16 would this be viewed the same? I'd say that's a big NO. Rev. Al and Jesse jerkoff would be camping out on the BU front lawn right now. Tired of the double standards played today.

I cannot speak for others, but if the hashtag were #StopBlackPeople2K16 I would be saying the same thing. It is stupid.

Not buying it. How much were the STUDENTS PAID?

You could call them and ask, I guess, or file a FOIL request.

Either way, not sure what to not buy. It's just a fact that that's what that "#stopwhitepeople2k16" refers to.

Still a clueless misuse of a joke that a more mature person should have questioned given the context, and a little clumsy on the part of the University to not bluntly acknowledge that they realize it looks bad and that using an in-joke from Twitter as the title of a serious session wasn't well-considered. I would have written a fairly different press release, if I was still in the business of writing press releases.

Now that I think about it, thank God I don't do that anymore.

If you look at the #StopWhitePeople2K16 twitter feed this is obviously hurting BU's reputation, and perhaps there should be some disciplinary consequence for that to these student RA's. If they were working in the private sector this would result in their dismissal. We don't know if that is warranted in this case, but something...

BU doesn't deserve this crap either. And it wasn't a "COURSE"!

It's crazy because an employee was apparently providing oversight and also didn't call it.

What I didn't like about the statement was that they treated it like it was general knowledge what the hashtag meant and nobody had any valid reason to question it. It definitely gives a 'WTF' moment that doesn't belong in that context.

What if, something untoward occurs and their panel discussion gets blamed for it? The answer is, they are students not paid professionals...Oh! They were paid? #STOP WHITE PEOPLE...can you say res ipsa loquitur?

What if, something untoward occurs and their panel discussion gets blamed for it? The answer is, they are students not paid professionals...Oh! They were paid? #STOP WHITE PEOPLE...can you say res ipsa loquitur?

Can you say what your point is?

I'm saying I'm sure BU must have deescalation policy and procedure in place for these RA's and their security staff. The students should follow the policy and procedure and not attempt to out-argue "uneducated people". The school should make sure these RA's have a clear definition of what their role and response-abilities are. Compromising safety with inflammatory politics is inappropriate and can open them up to a lawsuit.

I'm saying I'm sure BU must have deescalation policy and procedure in place for these RA's and their security staff. The students should follow the policy and procedure and not attempt to out-argue "uneducated people". The school should make sure these RA's have a clear definition of what their role and response-abilities are. Compromising safety with inflammatory politics is inappropriate and can open them up to a lawsuit.

Post of the day.

All's good...it was only quoted as "whites"...it's not like it was against muslims which would be a criminal offense. Maybe Obama was right...all this nation's woes are due to white privilege...and cops, and guns and.....everything but the real source being "uneducated people" of all races"!

Honestly I have no idea what they are trying to say by "when confronted by 'good' arguments from uneducated people..." Arguments about what and who are these uneducated people that you are encountering in the course of your duties as a RA?

That's the point it all makes very little sense. I'm just not sure what you guys are trying to turn this into, or what you want to see as the resolution of it?

"the society we function in" is their DORMATORY. The "course" is for Resident Advisors. I'm pretty sure it's outside the scope of their duties to force the people who live there to ascribe to their own personal politics by arguing race,diversity and privilege with them.

post edit-if they accepted a separate stipend for holding this session they should consider returning the money.