pants

Rich David working against the Union Hotel

I think they post replay of the shows. Not sure when. Maybe someone can post the replay of what the owner said when it's up on WNBF?

I've heard the city employee who caused this all is code enforcement's Mark Tanner. His wife used to go in to the Union Hotel and eat $200 worth of food, and refused to pay the bill. They didn't like having to pay, then code enforcement retaliated against them. WNBF has a story about it: http://wnbf.com/binghamton-business-owners-fighting-city-hall/

You won't see this story on WICX Fox 40 because Tanner's son works there.

Another Clinton Street business was required to install sprinklers in a single story structure without a kitchen.

I'm sure that a kitchen on a 2nd floor of a 3 story aged building is far more doangerous. I hope they get this matter straightened out, they did a nice remodel, but remember a old wooden structure with a kitchen located on a 2nd floor is not the safest bet.

A family member of the owners of the Union Hotel took care of me when I had my heart cath earlier this year. This young lady went above and beyond taking care of patients and if their workers at the Union are like her The Union has a new customer.

I think you are all missing the point of this problem. Everyone commends the Union Hotel for its improvements and community involvement and genoricty, however, building codes are created for the safety of its patrons. The presence of a kitchen on the 2nd floor is inviting possible deadly results in event of a fire. The building is not new, it's a wooden framed structure and 1 good grease fire could destroy all the work they have done, not to mention destroy a patron, or employees life.

Agreed with the safety issue. So install the necessary Fire prevention equipment on the second floor and keep on top of cleaning the grease traps. What you doing selling sprinkler systems now?

I think you are all missing the point of this problem. Everyone commends the Union Hotel for its improvements and community involvement and genoricty, however, building codes are created for the safety of its patrons. The presence of a kitchen on the 2nd floor is inviting possible deadly results in event of a fire. The building is not new, it's a wooden framed structure and 1 good grease fire could destroy all the work they have done, not to mention destroy a patron, or employees life.

I understand and I agree with your post. Thank you for replying UB.

I heard the part of the interview where the owner said water is the last thing you want to use on a grease fire.

With s properly installed fire suppression system the fire would never endanger the Union. However, God forbid that the system failed, the sprinkler system would save the Union from distruction or harm to anyone. Grease fires are very vicious, but in s last ditch effort the sprinkler may be the life saver. NYS fire code calls for sprinklers according to square footage of the establishment also.

How many bars in Binghamton have them? How about all the student housing that being crammed into downtown in this old buildings?

File a FOIL with the city?

I can't respond the way I want to because it would be my fourth strike. Number three is already out there. I can say the OP is getting a lesson in government ethics. He either needs to offer up his son or daughter to be molested or pay them the money. Those are the two things politicians want most.

I understand the need for code enforcement and no one should be above that no matter if it's the Union Hotel or South City Public House where there is major renovations being done to the floors above it. The real story here is a code enforcement official tried to strong arm the Union Hotel for freebies and when he was denied it was payback time. What is more distressing is Mayor David was advised of this and has done nothing and the code employee is still making decisions effecting the Union Hotel. No one can possibly think this is right. Let's hope Steve Cornwell has the backbone that Rich David obviously does not.

They don't bother any of the bars down town with seating capacity so why the Union? They did one hell of a job with that property and took pride in improving the neighborhood. They didn't just plop a business in a store front they actually made noticeable improvements.

They should be showcased instead of harrassed. If more property owners on the Clinton street strip put in alittle effort and time the first Ward would look great.

Owners on Clinton Street are too cheap to better their surroundings!

I've heard the city employee who caused this all is code enforcement's Mark Tanner. His wife used to go in to the Union Hotel and eat $200 worth of food, and refused to pay the bill. They didn't like having to pay, then code enforcement retaliated against them. WNBF has a story about it: http://wnbf.com/binghamton-business-owners-fighting-city-hall/

You won't see this story on WICX Fox 40 because Tanner's son works there.

Just how fat is Mrs Tanner that she's knocking back a $200 lunch?

On a more serious note, Can't the owner file charges against the code officer. If not criminal, hire a lawyer and sue him civilly. If this is true and the new DA Cromwell isn't interested start talking to the NYS Attorney General.

I'm also overweight, but I could never eat that much.

It could have been a party of 5-7 with drinks. No?

Dick David was on Binghamton Now assuring everyone he had a team investigating. The truth will be known very soon :rolleyes: