CURIOUS STATEMENT FROM CORNWELL: We went down to Debbie Preston's office and were told she's unavailable

Bingking

The Democratic party will bankrupt us all, that's the problem in a nutshell. If I didn't have kids in school here color me gone... NYS, soon BC, not to mention DC and there won't be anyone left employed to pay for everybody's free stuff!

My plan: die before the bill comes due.

Whatever happened to that $8 trillion that GWB stuck on the US credit card for his ginned up invasion of Iraq?

i was hoping to perish before that mofo came due.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody who had $20,000 liquid like that wouldn't have needed to hijack the card in the first place, so who made the payments? Then I think about the story you told about Paul's remarks, having to sell off assets to cover up Debbie's actions and the story that she was using Paul's credit cards after he passed. It makes me wonder. Did Paul get clued into this at the last minute and start desperately trying to scrape together the money to take care of his wife's latest trainwreck? Could the situation have really been that out of control?

You don't understand the criminal mind. She would have "justified" the card in her mind if she had a million dollar balance in the bank because her type considers they are "owed" such things, and are incapable of empathizing with those less fortunate or those they may hurt by their actions.

Her apology is along the lines of: "I thought this was swept under the rug and forgotten, so I'm sorry it was brought out in public. Oh, and floods and blackmailers, boo hoo."

What she did was clearly wrong. If an appropriate investigation reveals criminal activity then she should face the consequences.

What I do find interesting in all of this is the hypocrisy of certain posters who would have her hung from the nearest tree, yet they'll also go through all manner of mental contortions to downplay and even excuse the criminal actions of Mrs Clinton. It's insane.

You don't understand the criminal mind. She would have "justified" the card in her mind if she had a million dollar balance in the bank because her type considers they are "owed" such things, and are incapable of empathizing with those less fortunate or those they may hurt by their actions.

Her apology is along the lines of: "I thought this was swept under the rug and forgotten, so I'm sorry it was brought out in public. Oh, and floods and blackmailers, boo hoo."

I can see this, but I'm reading it more through the lens of a standard financial fraud. Somebody is broke, they do something that doesn't seem so bad at the time as long as nobody finds out, they get away with it so they keep doing it, and then suddenly they're financially dependent on it and can't stop. That's the read I got from her charging the card back up every month.

At that point, you wouldn't expect this person to make a $6,000 payment when confronted, then also ramp up their use of the card to a level not seen in a year. That sounds like one person trying to drive safely through a dangerous condition while another person is screaming at them and grabbing at the steering wheel - a person who enjoys women's fashion.

Legislators are reacting to the news out of the county executive's office.

"I was very disappointed in her whole attitude throughout that press conference," Broome County Legislator, Mark Whalen (D), said. "I understand that there are legal aspects to it, but there are also political aspects that we have to consider and the people of Broome County have to consider."

Whalen has been on the legislature committee since 1989.

He says he's seen five different county executives take office since that time, and feels Preston's behavior has been unacceptable.

"Truly an embarrassment to not just those of us here who work in Broome County government, but to all the people in Broome County."

Broome County Legislature Chairman, Dan Reynolds ® says he is shocked by the news.

"Absolutely surprised by it," Reynolds said. "Just the news in general on it and if it's true, you're disappointed obviously."

With just months before the legislature needs to approve the county budget and weeks before the election, Reynolds does not think the news out of Preston's office will have any impact on the budget process.

"We've had a good working relationship over the last four years with the county executive," Reynolds says. "I expect that to continue. I don't see anything in particular that would change that from that stand point.

Archived