Sheriff Harder, please stop chasing around a toy elf and get back to work

Clyde

I don't have a problem with Christmas, and I've known Dave Harder for almost 30 years. My friends at the sheriff's office tell me Dave is preoccupied with this toy elf they post all over Facebook. I don't have a problem with some festive posts on Facebook, but when it preoccupies a police force, while every 10 minutes there's a drug related call to dispatch... the sheriff needs to put the toys away and get back to work.

These are serious times. If Dave isn't interested in being a full time serious sheriff, we need to bring in someone who is.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with Christmas, and I've known Dave Harder for almost 30 years. My friends at the sheriff's office tell me Dave is preoccupied with this toy elf they post all over Facebook. I don't have a problem with some festive posts on Facebook, but when it preoccupies a police force, while every 10 minutes there's a drug related call to dispatch... the sheriff needs to put the toys away and get back to work.

These are serious times. If Dave isn't interested in being a full time serious sheriff, we need to bring in someone who is.

Clyde, don't believe everything you are told. Unless you see it for yourself, it probably didn't happen. Like the newsletter for example.

Clyde, don't believe everything you are told. Unless you see it for yourself, it probably didn't happen. Like the newsletter for example.

Broome has a serious drug problem. I see it first hand. But the sheriff's priority is playing with toys.

I have been told that Sheriff Harder has been working well over 40 hour work weeks for over a decade. If he wants to take a few minutes a day to do something festive to help connect to children or the public in general then I can't see where that is going to have any impact on the crime rate in BC. Seriously, how much time does it take to put a toy elf someplace and take a picture of it? Two minutes? Everyone is imperfect and has something they could be legitimately criticized for, but this seems pretty trivial.

Many counties in this country have a drug problem.

Since you see the problem, what is YOUR solution that the sheriff should be pursuing?

More education for students and teachers. Rumor has it the sheriff just pulled his resource officer out of the schools. Placement of deputies on the highways, especially near the county line. Less spending on things like brand new take home Tahoe's for his favored employees, and more funding to add more deputies. Work with police agencies in the city's where the drugs are coming from.

More education for students and teachers. Rumor has it the sheriff just pulled his resource officer out of the schools. Placement of deputies on the highways, especially near the county line. Less spending on things like brand new take home Tahoe's for his favored employees, and more funding to add more deputies. Work with police agencies in the city's where the drugs are coming from.

More education? How much are they getting now? Do you know?

"Rumor has it..." Facts Clyde, we need facts.

More funding for deputies comes from the legislature, not the sheriff.

Work with police in areas where the drugs are coming from? I am sure that they know where the drugs are coming from. Building a wall at our southern border will stop some of the flow.

Clyde, if someone wants to take drugs, there is very little that we can do to stop them. If they kill themselves, that is their choice. If people stop using, the dealers would go away.

More education? How much are they getting now? Do you know?

"Rumor has it..." Facts Clyde, we need facts.

More funding for deputies comes from the legislature, not the sheriff.

Work with police in areas where the drugs are coming from? I am sure that they know where the drugs are coming from. Building a wall at our southern border will stop some of the flow.

Clyde, if someone wants to take drugs, there is very little that we can do to stop them. If they kill themselves, that is their choice. If people stop using, the dealers would go away.

Let's hear it from you. What can be done about the areas drug problem?

I think that what this area needs, is more people to go online in various forums, and complain that other people aren't doing enough about the problem. We could complain that trivial things such as coffee breaks are preventing other people from dealing with the problem. More finger pointing will surely help the matter.

Well everyone, we've got a lot of work to do so let's get moving.

The drugs will be here as long as people are wanting to buy them. Law enforcement's job is more to react to the crimes that have been committed, rather than to deal with people's drug addictions. Again, if people want to buy it then someone will sell it. When that demand goes away so do the dealers. Sheriff Harder's elf isn't responsible for someone's addiction, but nice try.

Being nice has not worked other than in a few cases.

We offer what we have been doing, then if you still insist on killing yourself, I can't stop you. No welfare though.

However if you do something and kill someone or injure someone, we put you in jail for a long time to keep you from hurting someone else. You will also work for your food in jail. No work, no food. An empty stomach is a great motivator.

Third, we wait to see how Duerte does in the Philippines. If it works for him, we can do it here.

I am sick and tired of these snow flakes. The real problem is that people have it too good in this country.

Being nice has not worked other than in a few cases.

We offer what we have been doing, then if you still insist on killing yourself, I can't stop you. No welfare though.

However if you do something and kill someone or injure someone, we put you in jail for a long time to keep you from hurting someone else. You will also work for your food in jail. No work, no food. An empty stomach is a great motivator.

Third, we wait to see how Duerte does in the Philippines. If it works for him, we can do it here.

I am sick and tired of these snow flakes. The real problem is that people have it too good in this country.

This is very vague. Other than "wait to see".

Unlimited free drugs.

The biggest reason drugs are a problem is that their impacts don't remain with the user. The user gets addicted, is unable to get/hold a job, so they start doing things society doesn't like - from panhandling to home invasions - to fund their habit. Providing unlimited free drugs would eliminate this problem.

Is it silly/foolish? Probably. But I don't know for certain it won't work. What I do know for certain is that what we are doing now is not working.

Maybe you should worry about yourself instead of what other people are doing. Like some one else said, I don't see an issue if Harder want's to spread some holiday cheer around with the Elf. I think it's an awesome thing.

I don't think you need to tell him to get to work, I'm pretty sure he already works. I've seen him early in the morning on the scene of accident's on I81 when I'd be on my way to work in the morning, and I often time hear him on the scanner as well involved in something.

I usually listen to my scanner, and I don't hear drug related calls every 10 minutes, and most of the drug related calls are in Binghamton or JC, and that's handled by individual departments, not really the Sheriff's Department....

Now, put BC Voice away on your work computer, I'm sure your employer wouldn't want to know you're posting stuff like this on company time.

Many counties in this country have a drug problem.

Since you see the problem, what is YOUR solution that the sheriff should be pursuing?

Very easy answer, DECRIMINALIZATION. Everybody needs to get their head out of their ass on this topic. The only reason AND I mean the ONLY reason the destruction that alcohol causes does not get this "the sky is falling" coverage is because it is not criminal. It is what you do to another person while under it's influence that is criminal. It is far past the time to treat every other drug the same way. The marxist control freaks need to stop stealing my money to fight something they will NEVER control. And any of you on that bandwagon seriously need to evaluate how mentally ill you are, to continue forking over your hard earned money, to make politicians look good, when they don't give a rats ass about you. The drug war is a scam pure and simple.

I invite ANYBODY to prove me wrong.

Archived