Loud Explosion???

buccaqueen

What is everyone's thoughts on what the loud "BOOM" that was heard & felt in our area Saturday evening? We heard it but did not feel it but friends out towards Owego said their house shook. People are saying they heard/felt it in Ga. Fla. Ohio at same time.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A relative of mine who lives in western Broome County reported something similar a week ago. She said it sounded like something fell on her roof. There was no flames or smoke coming from anyplace as far as she could see. There were no sirens after the event either. The consensus among us was that it was a sonic boom. The recent event sounds very similar, and was also more than likely a sonic boom.

I heard it at 446 pm. I wondered what it was. I was making a call right after and just checked my phone history for the time. It was just starting to get dark. Was weird. Seemed to come from the west. Sounded like a train load shifting sort of. Was pretty loud then nothing. I have heard sonic boom from the space shuttle re entering once in Florida. It didn't really sound the same but I suppose that's possible. There definitely was a good loud noise.

I've heard them here before, it was last year at this time or the year before, I can't recall. I was sleeping yesterday and miss itty bitty kitty went nuts and woke me up. I also thought there was an earthquake around 2-3 am. I saw something neat when I was in NC a few years back but I haven't been able to find anything on google yet. It was a red lightning storm. I've also heard other things "on the wind". :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears it. :lol:

We live in West Corners, and it shook the house. This isn't the first time. It happened twice in one day just a couple of weeks ago, I think.

I was in that area at the time of the event and I didn't notice anything. We were at a get together with a house full of noisy kids so maybe they simply drowned out the sound of it.

Archived