Binghamton fires DPW Commissioner Terry Kellog and Jon Yeager?

Clyde

Here's the gonad buster about this one....David fires these guys for doing a mediocre job with snow removal.....Yet and YET he allows Chief Z to stay on the job....This so called police chief has cost the city millions in law suits, not just of the sexual kind but also of the major screw up kind, he has covered up the crimes of his family and friends and from what has been reported even his people are unhappy with him....Yet David allows him to stay and fires these two guys...You have to question the morals and leadership skills of David.....To me it seems like we have Boss Hog running the show...

Parm your not laying the blame where it belongs to ex-DA Gerald Mollen who covered for Zikuski's and much MORE!

"During this most recent storm, abnormally high numbers of employees failed to report for duty due to calling in sick, some submitting previously unplanned vacation requests after the storm began, and others submitting emergency personal day requests which, contractually, can’t be denied - just when we needed these people the most!"

I rest my case on privatization. These scumbags don't want to work and are one pay grade ahead of welfare recipients who game the system. They have been on the public tit and protected by unreasonable contracts for so long they don't even care. If snow removal was under contract by private companies this would not have happened. If it did they could be fired. These DPW slugs who thought it was cute to exercise their contract in the middle of a blizzard will go on to collect a public pension.

Parm your not laying the blame where it belongs to ex-DA Gerald Mollen who covered for Zikuski's and much MORE!

Oh I blame the crook, he's also guilty as all get out, however he's gone, we still Have Z to deal with....One does have to question why he wields so much power....

Me thinks it's time for the citizens of Binghamton to review the workers contract and see if there shouldn't be some changes made....like HAVING TO REPORT TO WORK DURING THESE EMERGENCY TIMES! Those who didn't show up and have no Doctors excuse should also be fired!

I agree, Caveman...in one way, these kinds of "call outs" are usually in response to rotten management, but if they had a lick of work ethic, they wouldn't have burdened their co-workers, AND the taxpayers who pay their freaking salary w/ that kind of childish BS.

Let me just interject... Here in CT we got BURRIED with snow, absolutely slammed. My husband and I had to go somewhere shortly after the snow stopped and NOTHING was plowed yet. (Thank the Lord for my awd beast of a truck, which drove through areas of 3 feet with ease) we got on the highway expecting the conditions to be the same. I have never seen DOT coordination in NY like I witnessed in CT that day. As we got on the highway there were two plow trucks directly in front of us tandam in each lane. When the highway opened up to 3 lanes there was another plow truck waiting on the on ramp. All 3 plow trucks directly side by side at the same speed cleared out over 3 feet of snow with absolute ease. I was so impressed I called up the local County DOT as I was driving behind them to commend them on their hard work. The man on the phone was in absolute shock that they were recieving praise versus criticism. I told him I was from upstate NY where it REALLY snows and I had never witnessed such a smooth sailing operation. (It did take about double the time to get to our destination but I had zero complaints) I think I have a picture somewhere of it. I'll have to look.

Edited to say that not all 3 trucks were County trucks. 2 were County, one was a city truck. So the county and city collaborated and timed so perfectly that a plow from each area could be waiting on an on ramp to join the other two, and got off at the following exit.

Just tap on the pic it goes full screen you can see the trucks in front and the results behind. Remember plowing open highway isn't the same as city streets but a tandem operation is the correct way , just in the city you have no place to push the snow.warm weather is around the corner hope there's no flooding. That's another issue nobody wants to dredge the rivers in Binghamton.

Completely understood and totally agree plowing is much more difficult in the city than highway. Plowing with Dad my whole life, I think I could have done a better job myself than the pictures I'm seeing of some city streets. I was more in awe of the coordination and pre planning here with the county and city trucks on the on and off ramps waiting to join in the with other trucks already located on route 8. When we have snow storms here there are state wide parking bans, days before the storm hits. If your car is left on the street, it's towed. No exceptions. If that was a policy the city would adopt, there's no reason it couldnt be tandem on the streets wide enough. They have brought in heavy machinery to remove the snow from street corners, intersections, and bigger city streets downtown. Mind you, we have Malloy as a Gov. Definitely NO IMPROVEMENT from Cuomo but at least he has his shit together when it comes to snow removal. Especially for a state that closes everything with 2 or more inches. They had a plan in order, and executed it perfectly.

If Mayor David felt that the DPW commissioner Kellogg and deputy commissioner Yeager did such a poor job of handling the snow removal, then why did he lift the travel ban in the City before County Executive Jason Garner did??? Obviously, the Mayor felt that Binghamton had such a good handle on road conditions that he went above Garner's ban on the entire county. Interesting.

When you get that kind of snow fall it's nearly an impossible task especially when you don't have the tools. How many plows does the city have including pickups to 5 tons? How many salt trucks? At one time they had a snow blower that could fill a truck in 16 seconds, if David appointed These guys then he must have thought they had the credentials .if there's one thing in Binghamton you can expect is a harsh winter and snow. You need to be prepared no matter even if you only get light snows all season you heed a line up of equipment and equally trained personnel to use them. DAVID is where the blame should be! I know Yeager he's no prize the other one I don't know but Kim O could have handled the situation having the experience with heavy snows providing he had the tools otherwise only GOD could.

When you get that kind of snow fall it's nearly an impossible task especially when you don't have the tools. How many plows does the city have including pickups to 5 tons? How many salt trucks? At one time they had a snow blower that could fill a truck in 16 seconds, if David appointed These guys then he must have thought they had the credentials .if there's one thing in Binghamton you can expect is a harsh winter and snow. You need to be prepared no matter even if you only get light snows all season you heed a line up of equipment and equally trained personnel to use them. DAVID is where the blame should be! I know Yeager he's no prize the other one I don't know but Kim O could have handled the situation having the experience with heavy snows providing he had the tools otherwise only GOD could.

I really don't put the total blame on Rich. There's a lot of blame to go around here. I got an education today on the Larger Truck's.

Mel who i see everyday at Danny's came in today and i ask him about their (BURR Trucking) BIG Trucks. I asked him about the locking differentials on their Large tandem axle trucks. He explained it's very expensive to buy those trucks with front locking wheels.

Mel did say, "If the City had the tandem Locking Rear Axle's on their large trucks they would not have gotten stuck in heavy snow because two axle's would be locked. Which 8 rear wheels would be constantly turning under direct power." The Cities Large Trucks do not have this capability of Locking both axles in Tandem which would be a big help in heavy snow. These are the type of trucks needed ( at least 4 trucks also thinking of breakage so three are always working) and with wings as well.

Where is this large snow blower? They used it many years on our street! If it is old, then get a new one! DPW AND THE MAYOR are both to blame!!!! We pay taxes, use the money for what we need!! DOT has the best equipment..have them train the city crew to do the work the right way!!!

It wouldn't have mattered who was in charge since a large chunk of the workforce came down with the "white flu." Haven't heard confirmation but I was told 30 employees had this epidemic

Not totally true. If they had a great Commissioner and Deputy who would work along side the boys they would go the distance for someone who treated like human beings and not like cattle.

I'm sorry if you were yelled at and screamed at would you have respect for your Bosses??? I think not!

Not totally true. If they had a great Commissioner and Deputy who would work along side the boys they would go the distance for someone who treated like human beings and not like cattle.

I'm sorry if you were yelled at and screamed at would you have respect for your Bosses??? I think not!

While I agree with this, it's not about respect for the boss, it's about respect for your neighbors. This is a civil service position and the city was in the midst of an emergency.

If your first impulse in a crisis is to leave thousands of people stranded to get a dig in at your boss because you don't like the way he talked to you, you're probably a shitheel who had it coming and now deserves to be fired with cause. We've all had to suck it up and do our best in spite of bad bosses at times.

Apply the same logic to the fire department and the problem becomes clear.

"Oh, the hospital is on fire and it's full of patients? Wow. You know, tho, ah, let's not rush over there or nothin'. The chief cussed at me this mornin'. Let's finish our coffee then we'll see how it looks."

I don't believe Terry Kellog was totally responsible for this lack of worker's not showing up for this past snow storm. I believe Jon Yeager created the atmosphere between their office and the workers. I maybe wrong but it will come out in the wash.

If Mayor David felt that the DPW commissioner Kellogg and deputy commissioner Yeager did such a poor job of handling the snow removal, then why did he lift the travel ban in the City before County Executive Jason Garner did??? Obviously, the Mayor felt that Binghamton had such a good handle on road conditions that he went above Garner's ban on the entire county. Interesting.

Excellent thought....One could think The ol Mayor was covering his tracks before the yelling began....

Personally I would like an answer to the question...That if David fired these guys for what they are blamed for, a traveling inconvenience to city drivers, then what is stopping him from firing Z with all the money, corruption, and embarrassment he has caused our city ???....

• 1 month later...

Better late than never with this topic. Talking to some of the rank and file members of DPW at the diner, they teil me what is already on the thread, that ever since Holmes was DPW they have been threatened that the city plans to privitize the DPW operation ....and along with that almost three year job threat, comes many work related mandated changes, i.e size of routes, number of trucks our for garbage and recycling....etc. It, according to them was not a pleasant place to work under the administration and constant threats of job loss, thus the slowdown. If work is not a pleasant, enjoyable place and made worse by the constant threats, you are going to see some form of revolt and the consequences associated with it.. The first deputy, name escapes me, had no people skills and that definitely led to the anarchy at the garage... they all hope for the better.

Archived