Road to the Triple Crown 2017

ginger

The Wood Memorial, Blue Grass and Santa Anita Derbies are this weekend. As some may or may not know, The Wood is run right here in NY at Aqueduct, the Blue Grass in Kentucky and the Santa Anita in California.

I traditionally tend to compare horses to the winner of the Wood but with the advantages of being able to see these races on the internet my habits are changing.

Top Ten ranked Horses based on earnings/point system (which is a good start but some great horses may not have run as many races as these so we have to find them. :) )

1-Girvin

2-Always Dreaming...trained by Todd Pletcher

3-Gunnevera

4-State of Honor

5-Mastery...a Baffert horse

6-Tapwrit...Pletcher

7-J Boys Echo

8-Epicharis

9-Malagacy...Pletcher

10-Patch...Pletcher

Steve Asmussen horses are ranked as follows #13 Untrapped and #16 Local Hero

I read some early chatter on McCraken and Iliad ranked at #"s18 and 19. Patch also had early chatter

I'll check out pedigree and earlier trial races if I can find them on you tube later.

post edit-and for those of you who continue to bet those "mo" horses #33 and #36 respectively are Mo town and Royal Mo. I'm guessing they're all related.

:) This is going to be so much more fun now that I learned how to post a video! Thanks again 27, where ever you are!

Scanning some basic info, I haven't watched any of the races yet...Most significant to me from pedigree...Local Hero, one of the Asmussen horses is the only horse I searched to have the bloodline of ALYDAR. Alydar placed in all three triple crown races closing in on Affirmed for the triple crown that year.(1975) Known as the best horse in the history of thoroughbred racing to have never won a championship.

Mastery had a condylar fracture with successful surgery on 3/11

Patch is missing an eye

Tapwrit is the grey

Girvin won the Louisiana Derby and Always Dreaming won the Florida

That's all I have for now. :)

post edit- I did just watch a bunch of races. Mastery ridden by Mike Smith...this is a horse that didn't need to be told what to do. Complementary pairing and if you are very into pedigree, the horse has the "big heart" gene. Unfortunately he's done.

I did watch the Florida and Louisiana. I think the jockeys are being a little reckless with their horses.

Local Hero appears a little timid for the competition he'll be facing. :) I need to see more footage though. :D You know I'm looking for a reason to really like this horse but with Pletcher having 4 horses...

I just watched the big 3 from yesterday. None of these horses is at their peak or all of them are. Mastery is still the only horse I liked.

Ideal trip

The son of Tiznow breaks maiden

Tapwrit wins Tampa Bay Derby handily

Calumet Farm's Hence impressive in Sunland Derby win

Gervin wins Louisiana Derby

Florida Derby

Gormley picks up the pieces in slowest SA Derby winning time since 1957.

Classic Empire closes to win Arkansas Derby. 2-0 at Churchill.

• 4 weeks later...

Kentucky Derby post position draw is today at 11:00 am. live stream on Kentucky Derby facebook or NBCsports.

A cute idea I just read about for future reference...Mt Holyoke is using a Carousel to have a mock type of Derby race for charity, serving Mint Juleps...

Thomas thanks for posting all of the above, I don't think I missed watching any of the prep races and have drawn no conclusion. I still think Mastery would have been the winner. A lot of people are chatting up Classic Empire. The last report I read stated they had a field of 20 horses. Things change. :) There are a few horses I have not seen run. I'm going to take a look after the post are drawn.

sorry-had a video posted but it became 404 errored.

Local Hero is out too. Nobody listen to me because apparently I can't pick a horse this year!!!! :rolleyes::D Maybe miss itty bitty kitty can pick one...wait for it.

:) LOL Thomas, the look on a couple of the horses! So, since I literally have no horse in this race...I'm probably going to do a triple box with Gunnevera, Girvin and Always Dreaming. I will probably do a daily double for the Oaks/Derby, Farrell with Irish War Cry. This is a sentimental bet. Our Irish neighbors in NYC, the Farrells...one of of my fondest memories...attending a feis with them at the Plaza Hotel.

Ain't nothin' but an Irish thing...Irish War Cry, McCraken, Gormely. Ain't nothin' but a G thang...Girvin, Gunnevera, Gormley.

Fill in the blank... I can't pick a winning horse because...Irap.

My father always bet the 6 and 4 horses...in fact those were the post position winners in last years Belmont. Hence, I digress, Good Luck everyone!

I finally got around to watching the Derby on the big screen...(had to work). What a trip, in the mud, for Always Dreaming. :) if you watched the prep races you knew State of Honor races out front until his stamina runs out so the way I see it, Always Dreaming was actually out front the entire race and had a lot left! Still undefeated, good for him!

Looks like I was looking at the wrong Asmussen horse, a nice surprise from Looking at Lee. I was looking in their direction from the beginning but just hoping for the ghost of Alydar... :rolleyes: I know I know...

OH btw, miss itty bitty kitty picked the 4 horse, Untrapped as evidenced by her finding a Slazenger 4 golf ball shortly after I posted. I played the bugle call, SHE came running, lol, jumped right on my laptop and the next thing I saw her playing with was the golf ball. No :) I didn't bet on it.

:) This is going to be so much more fun now that I learned how to post a video! Thanks again 27, where ever you are!

LOL Good girl!!! I love how miss itty bitty kitty runs right up when I play this. :D I know I know...SIMPLE PLEASURES FOR SIMPLE MINDS!

Have a cozy weekend everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Winner of the 2017 Preakness, Cloud Computing, is being replaced by a horse named TWISTED TOM. The horse is a gelding, NY bred. Only 3 geldings have ever won the Belmont. :) Thunder Gulch!

:) Miss itty bitty is sleeping all curled up in the corner of sofa...she hadn't even heard the bugle sound and she lifted her sleepyhead. Too comfy to leave her cozy spot I guess!

Archived