Sciatica

Fred Garvin

:) I could write pages and pages and pages. Two days ago I spent an hour on my stomach with my knees hanging off of the bed in a quasi traction mode to keep my spine in neutral position. It helped for a little while but I had things to do so the pain started dinging me again. You state you are seeing your primary about this. You haven't had an xray or MRI yet?

Ginger, had an MRI & ultra-sound the other night when I went to the ER thinking it was a kidney stone. After blood and urine work up they were at a loss as to what could be causing the debilitating pain. I'll know more tomorrow, but my on line medical sleuthing seems to indicate sciatica.

It's been my experience and the experience of other people I know the medical community does not treat sciatic pain seriously, because it tends to come and go with activity. One thing I feel is very helpful in amending that perception is getting that MRI or CT scan WITH CONTRAST. I couldn't get anyone to take my neck pain seriously until I had my stroke and then, they were able to see everything with the contrast.

I actually do not have a confirmed diagnosis for sciatica because at the moment, I really don't want to have any more preexisting conditions.

If you are comfortable, do let us know what he/she says tomorrow. "Do sit ups to strengthen your stomach muscles"? :D Sure. Right after I get home from working my 13 hour shift. :lol: I'll get right on that!

BTW-please have your primary explain the concept of how to place your spine and head in NEUTRAL position. It will help reduce the pain significantly. Remembering to walk like this takes practice.

About keeping that chin tucked...if you are walking with your head down you are adding 10-15 pounds of pressure to your entire spine. Weight it isn't supposed to be carrying.

Chin tucked, PUT YOUR NOSE IN THE AIR! :)

post edit-Can you imagine what the spines of kids today are going to be like because they can't keep their faces out of their phones? At least with a lap top you can sit in neutral position.

Fred,

I don't know anything about your insurance or financial situation, but the best health care that you can get is not there.

If it's serious, get a referral to a provider in a major metropolitan area or somewhere that has a good medical school. My wife has been all through this.

M.

Was was recently diagnosed by my doc with sciatica. Ordered a medrol dosepack (steroids) and physical therapy. At PT, they told me it wasn't really sciatica because most of my lag pain was in fron, not back of leg where the sciatic nerve is located. Been going to therapy for a month. IT's helping a lot, but I'm still not back to "normal" yet.

Hopefully they'll get you straightened around quickly!

Good morning ! Are you going to share with us the results of your mri? I hope it wasn't a tumor. That happened to a relative.(not blood related) She went to the emergency room in horrible pain complaining she could barely walk. They gave her a shot of toradol and one "professional" made a comment about her weight. A month or two later she couldn't walk, called an ambulance and they did an xray....she had tumors metastasized to her spine. Dead 3/4 months later. Cute huh?

post edit-I should mention...if they bothered to check her history they would have noticed within the previous 2 years she had her thyroid removed for nodules. The biopsy on those were "inconclusive".

Hey Ginger thanks for asking. Abridged answer; possible sciatica, possible pinched nerve in L3. Nothing definitive until x-rays on back are viewed. Had them done yesterday. Was given a couple of stronger pain meds, and steroids. Steroids are helping immensely. Slept prone last night for the first time in 5 days. Doing stretches and making progress. Follow up visit next week with x-rays in hand.

Well I've had two back operations for this and after going through all the PT, shots, and the whole nine yards, I find that using a good chiropractor (Dr. Cooper-Harry L Drive) and acupuncturist (Dr Wu - Endicott and Whitney Point) to work for me....Trust me when I tell you I feel your pain and falling into the pain pill thing to take care of the problem is NOT the way to go...

Archived