JC mayors race - primary next week

JCALUM

It should be an interesting showdown between Greg Deemie, Rick Balles and Marty Meaney next week, in the Republican primary for JC mayor. When all the votes are counted, I believe Rick Balles will win. Balles is the best candidate, in my opinion. But any of the three Republicans would be better than that Andrew Holbert, the Democratic candidate. Holbert can't hold a job, he's currently a paperboy and night time janitor. This is after the bar he opened in Kirkwood didn't even last a year!

I wish all the candidates good luck, but I expect a win for Rick Balles.

Meaney represents the Firefighters Union. That's his interest because that's his meal ticket. Does he have the best interests of the JC taxpayer in mind, or the best interests of the union.

That's the real question.

I don't live in JC and don't care what happens in the election. I post this only as a public service.

Which was?

Blue Collar Sports Cafe?

To his credit, that location is terrible and nothing seems to last long there. However that is a factual statement that he is a terrible candidate.

I really hope Balles beats out Deemie and Meaney. Especially after that ridiculous negative attack mailer Deemie sent out this weekend that looked like someone at the primary school put together.

Also...wasn't Meaney the Fire Fighter who went naked and had pics posted of him years ago just before social media was big?

JC Alum and Mr. Met,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Andrew Holbert and yes I am running for Mayor. Yes I opened a bar in Kirkwood names Blue Collar Sports Bar and we did only last 17 months. My job history is a little sporadic, but only because I have been a stay at home father for 8 years now and the jobs that I have had are just to help make ends meet. I have a bachelors degree in education and a Masters degree in administration and once my children are all in school I will be pursuing employment in those fields. I have volunteered in the community as a coach in baseball and basketball as well as served in the board of Johnson City Little League for the past 5 years with one year serving as president. I was also appointed to the Village planning board 3 years ago and was voted by its members to be the Vice Chairman 2 years ago. I would love to meet with you two if possible to talk about your issues with me and see if we could work out our differences because I do feel I represent a better option than the status quo we have running on the other side of the aisle.

JC Alum and Mr. Met,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Andrew Holbert and yes I am running for Mayor. Yes I opened a bar in Kirkwood names Blue Collar Sports Bar and we did only last 17 months. My job history is a little sporadic, but only because I have been a stay at home father for 8 years now and the jobs that I have had are just to help make ends meet. I have a bachelors degree in education and a Masters degree in administration and once my children are all in school I will be pursuing employment in those fields. I have volunteered in the community as a coach in baseball and basketball as well as served in the board of Johnson City Little League for the past 5 years with one year serving as president. I was also appointed to the Village planning board 3 years ago and was voted by its members to be the Vice Chairman 2 years ago. I would love to meet with you two if possible to talk about your issues with me and see if we could work out our differences because I do feel I represent a better option than the status quo we have running on the other side of the aisle.

Nicely done...Stepping up to the plate....

JC Alum and Mr. Met,

On one hand you say you can't work because of young kids. But you opened a new business. I would expect to work 80-100 hours a week, after opening a new business. And a bar is no place for children.

It should be an interesting showdown between Greg Deemie, Rick Balles and Marty Meaney next week, in the Republican primary for JC mayor. When all the votes are counted, I believe Rick Balles will win. Balles is the best candidate, in my opinion. But any of the three Republicans would be better than that Andrew Holbert, the Democratic candidate. Holbert can't hold a job, he's currently a paperboy and night time janitor. This is after the bar he opened in Kirkwood didn't even last a year!

I wish all the candidates good luck, but I expect a win for Rick Balles.

What did the incumbent do to deserve a 3 way primary? Did he not swallow for the cult R party in Broome?

Agreed. A traditional bar is no place for children. We had a large open space with bar seating and sit down seating. We tried to make it a family friendly atmosphere with games and a family style menu. Kids were allowed with parent till 8pm. Many people would come on weekends during the day or during the football season with kids all the time. Yes 80 to 100 hours was correct. During the day I managed from home. Ordering, payroll, event setup, and anything I could do at home. At night I spent may nights there working to gain business. In the end it was not a right fit for the clientele of Kirkwood. Anyone who came out or met me during that time saw how hard I worked at that place and I have every in tension of doing that for the residents of JC. If you vote for me or not you will always have your voice heard in my office. No one, no party will be ignored. I can see we might not be on the same page and that is ok. No one is going to win 100% of the vote. And I am going to be out spent probably 20 or more to in the end but that isn't going to stop me from trying to do what I can for Village of Johnson City. I would love a chance to speak with you. You can email me or call me. Both can be found on my facebook page.

Along with 927 other people. Some of which are the most dedicated people to the Village of Johnson City. 1 person on my friend's list doesn't mean I am like that person. Leo and his opinions and comments are his view and no one else's. Every village resident has an opinion and they are entitled to them. As a potential village elected official I must listen to all comments when making decisions. One thing I value about Leo is that he is not afraid to make these comments behind a screen name.

Along with 927 other people. Some of which are the most dedicated people to the Village of Johnson City. 1 person on my friend's list doesn't mean I am like that person. Leo and his opinions and comments are his view and no one else's. Every village resident has an opinion and they are entitled to them. As a potential village elected official I must listen to all comments when making decisions. One thing I value about Leo is that he is not afraid to make these comments behind a screen name.

I saw his name on your personal page, not your "for mayor' page.

As I said, I don't even live in JC, but if I did, I would NEVER vote for someone that was friend's w/ that obnoxious troll.

Whatever...carry on.

I saw his name on your personal page, not your "for mayor' page.

As I said, I don't even live in JC, but if I did, I would NEVER vote for someone that was friend's w/ that obnoxious troll.

Whatever...carry on.

One of the many reasons I will not vote for him. But this one is near the top of the list.

JC Alum and Mr. Met,

AHOL....

I am a resident of JC and would like to know how you feel about the current Water/Sewer and Refuse rates of the Village?

My refuse quarterly is usually equal to or greater than sewer/water combined...that's for one bag a week. I would be better on the C.O.B. Garbage bag plans of 1.50 per bag... Why do we need to be penalized by paying higher rates to cover some of the JC slumlords who dispose of 500 lbs of garbage weekly? We own a house very close to the City of Binghamton line and have never had as much as a pothole repaired as far as I can remember...our streets are a mess. Where do you stand on fixing up the streets BEYOND Riverside Dr?

Johnson City downtown is a wash....What plans do you have for that? Empty storefronts as far as the eye can see.

Johnson City downtown itself is a mess with crime. What will you do about all the crime and gangs (YES GANGS) running around JC?

How about our overly abundant amount of welfare recipients who live like farm animals and make no efforts to keep properties clean. Will you do anything about that? Code violations? Do you realize how bad that little inconsequential issue effects our property values?

There's a million other questions out there...especially when we start talking about consolidation and unions.I wish you the best of luck and would like to hear more from you on here.....

AHOL....

I am a resident of JC and would like to know how you feel about the current Water/Sewer and Refuse rates of the Village?

My refuse quarterly is usually equal to or greater than sewer/water combined...that's for one bag a week. I would be better on the C.O.B. Garbage bag plans of 1.50 per bag... Why do we need to be penalized by paying higher rates to cover some of the JC slumlords who dispose of 500 lbs of garbage weekly? We own a house very close to the City of Binghamton line and have never had as much as a pothole repaired as far as I can remember...our streets are a mess. Where do you stand on fixing up the streets BEYOND Riverside Dr?

Johnson City downtown is a wash....What plans do you have for that? Empty storefronts as far as the eye can see.

Johnson City downtown itself is a mess with crime. What will you do about all the crime and gangs (YES GANGS) running around JC?

How about our overly abundant amount of welfare recipients who live like farm animals and make no efforts to keep properties clean. Will you do anything about that? Code violations? Do you realize how bad that little inconsequential issue effects our property values?

There's a million other questions out there...especially when we start talking about consolidation and unions.I wish you the best of luck and would like to hear more from you on here.....

Great questions.

I would also like to add:

LED street lighting? Binghamton is on board and now I see Endicott is. If you become mayor what is your plan moving forward with LED street lighting?

AHOL....

1. Water, Sewer, Refuse. - This was part of taxes at one point and it was decided to be taken out and made into a fee as it is now. When I first ran for Trustee I supported studying a change to the Pay as you throw (bag system like binghamton) for a few reasons. For many customers it would result in less fees. People who are throwing away 1 bag a week would see a great decrease. Another reason is because it will increase people's recycling efforts because recycling is free and last i knew the village was being paid for the recycling. IF elected it is definitely something I want to look into more.

2. Streets - Streets are a main issue and with the increased traffic coming to and from downtown we need to make sure our streets are up to date. I do not like how they are patching things lately. In many cases it makes the road worse. I'm not sure what happened to them sealing cracks but throwing black top on top of small cracks doesn't seem like it is the best practice. I would like to tackle at least resurfacing the bad parts of Grand ave and Floral ave first. There are some very bad spots and traveling at 30mph down these stretches can do alot of damage to cars. Riverside was done on the binghamton side, but the jc side has not been done, and in my travels around town floral and grand ave are some of the worst. and I know many side streets are in bad shape also. We need better ways of tracking these issues also. Binghamton has an app where you can send in info on potholes and other things to the dpw for them to repair and then you are updated once it is repaired. JC doesnt have alot of funds to create an app, but if there is a premade app out there that we can utilize i would like to do that.

3. Main Street - Right now main street is stuck. One investor has been buying up properties and has been letting them sit vacant. Rumor is that he is hoping more buildings lose value so he can purchase them up also. Im not sure what his end game is but right now it is not helping at all. This needs to be addressed asap. We need to have better code enforcement and code laws that can help with this situation. My ideas for helping main street are to waive application fees for new main street businesses upon site plan and any needed zoning approvals. This is not a big chunk of change for the business, but will help some of them get going a little quicker. Second, Main street needs a beatification code to make sure it retains its historic character while it rebuilds. Third, it needs new lighting. The fancy style lights there now just do not light up the street and sidewalk at all and it make it easy for people to hide and do "business" in the darkness. Fourth, I would like to see dedicated foot or bike patrols on main street and the surrounding streets. We have to rid that area of drugs and crime before the good citizens of JC will want to spend time down there again. Lastly, I support the village efforts right now in applying for another main st grant. I hope that more businesses will participate this time and I hope that they use it to fix up the outsides of the buildings. This will help make it look ready to invest in.

4. Code and Property- Our code is run through the town of union office and I feel like that they treat us as a part time job. We pay them around $150,000 a year for these services and I do not believe we get what we pay for. Code need a real look at it to see what can be done to enhance it. I believe we need dedicated people in JC and not just people part time. If this can be done with the town of unions help then great, if not then we need to relook more at the situation. Code laws need to be also looked at to see if we can make them have more power. Too many times landlords and property owners can drag things out in court forever. We need to do more and I believe we can, Code is a priority.

5. Assorted- Parks are important too me. they have been ignored for too long. We need to settle our police contract that has been up for 4 or 5 years I believe. Government has to stop being reactionary and be progressive. We need change. JC is not on the right tract and putting all of our eggs in the BU basket is not the way to go. IF you have any more questions please let me know.

Archived