Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Immigration.

19April1775

"As President, my highest duty is to defend the American people and the Constitution of the United States of America. At the same time, I do not favor punishing children, most of whom are now adults, for the actions of their parents. But we must also recognize that we are nation of opportunity because we are a nation of laws."

"The legislative branch, not the executive branch, writes these laws – this is the bedrock of our Constitutional system, which I took a solemn oath to preserve, protect, and defend."

"In June of 2012, President Obama bypassed Congress to give work permits, social security numbers, and federal benefits to approximately 800,000 illegal immigrants currently between the ages of 15 and 36. The typical recipients of this executive amnesty, known as DACA, are in their twenties. Legislation offering these same benefits had been introduced in Congress on numerous occasions and rejected each time."

"Officials from 10 States are suing over the program, requiring my Administration to make a decision regarding its legality. The Attorney General of the United States, the Attorneys General of many states, and virtually all other top legal experts have advised that the program is unlawful and unconstitutional and cannot be successfully defended in court."

"The decades-long failure of Washington, D.C. to enforce federal immigration law has had both predictable and tragic consequences: lower wages and higher unemployment for American workers, substantial burdens on local schools and hospitals, the illicit entry of dangerous drugs and criminal cartels, and many billions of dollars a year in costs paid for by U.S. taxpayers. Yet few in Washington expressed any compassion for the millions of Americans victimized by this unfair system. Before we ask what is fair to illegal immigrants, we must also ask what is fair to American families, students, taxpayers, and jobseekers."

"It is now time for Congress to act!"

Full statement here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/09/05/statement-president-donald-j-trump?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wh_20170905_na

We have a President following the law and half the country has become unhinged. What does that say about them?

"we are nation of laws"

pardons Joe Arpaio

Trump didn't have to end DACA, there were other ways to go about it. At the end of the day though, unless you're a wealthy white male, or friend of Trump, he doesn't care about you. His actions have proven that.

I know it wouldn't do any good for me to say you might want to brush up on the facts of the Arpaio pardon/case but to use it to say that it contradicts his "nation of laws" comment is extremely weak. DACA is an Executive Order from Obama that is constitutionally undefendable and states are suing the FedGov over it. Bottom line is the cowards in Congress don't want to deal with it. Trump is making them do their job. God knows most voters haven't.

It just keeps getting worse with this guy, doesn't it ?

Is this what you support? I really want to know. Hammer the shit out of red, white and blue Americans for not wearing a seat belt but let this shit go on? I'm open to ideas.

"In June of 2012, President Obama bypassed Congress to give work permits, social security numbers, and federal benefits to approximately 800,000 illegal immigrants currently between the ages of 15 and 36."

It just keeps getting worse with this guy, doesn't it ?

Following 75's inquiry, and setting aside his campaign pledge, do you not see the dilemma the POTUS was in. If did nothing or "extended DACA", the States would have sued and they would likely have prevailed. DACA would be over then with immediate escalated protests.

If he outright ends DACA today with no opportunity to work through an alternative, then again escalated protests.

His proposal does two things, ends DACA now, with enforcement not until 6 months down the road. It squarely places the responsibility on Congress! So for all of you that want this to move forward, get ahold of your Congress reps. Otherwise, the Dreamers will be headed back home to their families....in 6 months or so....

My bet is that Congress will fail again!

Exactly how is one Executives Order unconstitutional when the one revoking is is not? Please explain each order and how they are apples and oranges.

Because the person with power of executive order can rescind another executive order. There is no constitutional law in play with that act.

Because the person with power of executive order can rescind another executive order. There is no constitutional law in play with that act.

To quote you:

"Help me understand your view. How is addressing an unconstitutional executive order making things worse?"

If the order is in your mind unconstitutional, then it is up to the Judicial branch of government to declare it so.

To quote you:

"Help me understand your view. How is addressing an unconstitutional executive order making things worse?"

If the order is in your mind unconstitutional, then it is up to the Judicial branch of government to declare it so.

I did frame that poorly. The fact that it was an executive branch action allows the new person in charge of the executive branch to rescind it. The fact that it is unconstitutional really has nothing to do with it. I learned today that it wasn't even an executive order. It was only a memorandum and, as I understand it, was only signed by Obamas director of homeland security. So it was more of a policy actually. Trump has every right to change policy. No other branch of government needed.

I did frame that poorly. The fact that it was an executive branch action allows the new person in charge of the executive branch to rescind it. The fact that it is unconstitutional really has nothing to do with it. I learned today that it wasn't even an executive order. It was only a memorandum and, as I understand it, was only signed by Obamas director of homeland security. So it was more of a policy actually. Trump has every right to change policy. No other branch of government needed.

Agreed.

I know it wouldn't do any good for me to say you might want to brush up on the facts of the Arpaio pardon/case but to use it to say that it contradicts his "nation of laws" comment is extremely weak. DACA is an Executive Order from Obama that is constitutionally undefendable and states are suing the FedGov over it. Bottom line is the cowards in Congress don't want to deal with it. Trump is making them do their job. God knows most voters haven't.

Arpaio broke the law, was found guilty of it and was pardoned. We are a nation of laws unless you have money or friends in high places, then the laws do not apply to you.

Arpaio broke the law, was found guilty of it and was pardoned. We are a nation of laws unless you have money or friends in high places, then the laws do not apply to you.

Sorry not that simple at all. We'll have to agree to disagree.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving down the road with destination in mind only to find the road closed. What to do, what to do?

Can say the hell with it and give up, or can find a way around the obstacle.

President Trump faces more obstacles than any other President I can recall yet still finds a way to get things done.

• 3 years later...
On 9/18/2017 at 8:56 AM, JB 2 said:

Driving down the road with destination in mind only to find the road closed. What to do, what to do?

Can say the hell with it and give up, or can find a way around the obstacle.

President Trump faces more obstacles than any other President I can recall yet still finds a way to get things done.

Only trying to ask y'all to read this entire thread? Please.

On 9/5/2017 at 4:19 PM, 19April1775 said:

Is this what you support? I really want to know. Hammer the shit out of red, white and blue Americans for not wearing a seat belt but let this shit go on? I'm open to ideas.

"In June of 2012, President Obama bypassed Congress to give work permits, social security numbers, and federal benefits to approximately 800,000 illegal immigrants currently between the ages of 15 and 36."

lol, Yes I know this thread was bumped for other reasons but I'm laughing because at Valvoline last week they told me the right side license plate light is out but they were afraid to try to replace it because of the rust..guess I'd better do that today before some bored sheriff's deputy decides to pull me over and make my life miserable for a half and hour.