FBI Van

ginger

Good Morning! Brrr, Yes I turned on the heat, for a little while. :) Several days ago I was having trouble with the internet and was on the phone with Spectrum trying to resolve the problem. I had my network connections on screen and noticed one of them said FBI VAN. After my problem was solved I tried to click on but the signal was too weak.

Has anyone ever seen that before? Seriously. is it the FBI and if so... :o WAY TO ADVERTISE YOU ARE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD! It's not on there now but now I feel like I should keep checking it. I already changed my password again. Also, coincidentally, Microsoft , in the same week tried to freeze my computer with a TROJAN warning. I don't think it was really microsoft or else I wouldn't have been able to figure out how to get rid of it. They wanted me to call a phone number which I did not do.

As you all know I'm the least computer literate person here so if you have any thoughts...BTW, does anyone have a recommendation for security system installation. :) They make it look so easy but this is clearly not something I want to do.

When you set up your wireless network, you can give it any name.

I know, I did, but I was thinking why isn't the FBI van here anymore? Who would name their network FBI van? Who thinks like that? :blink::)

Good Morning! Brrr, Yes I turned on the heat, for a little while. :) Several days ago I was having trouble with the internet and was on the phone with Spectrum trying to resolve the problem. I had my network connections on screen and noticed one of them said FBI VAN. After my problem was solved I tried to click on but the signal was too weak.

Has anyone ever seen that before? Seriously. is it the FBI and if so... :o WAY TO ADVERTISE YOU ARE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD! It's not on there now but now I feel like I should keep checking it. I already changed my password again. Also, coincidentally, Microsoft , in the same week tried to freeze my computer with a TROJAN warning. I don't think it was really microsoft or else I wouldn't have been able to figure out how to get rid of it. They wanted me to call a phone number which I did not do.

As you all know I'm the least computer literate person here so if you have any thoughts...BTW, does anyone have a recommendation for security system installation. :) They make it look so easy but this is clearly not something I want to do.

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD IF YOU OPENED THE TROJAN WARNING!

I also have an "FBI Van" in my list of neighboring network connections along with several other colorful networks names such as "Hugh G Rection" "Dixie Normus" and "The Password Is Orgy" (I tried this password and it doesn't work) so I suspect that many are becoming creative with their network labels.

I didn't open it, I x'd out and shut down the computer, waited a minute or two then turned it back on. All Gone! (I think :)) Oh, I had to force the shut down. I was afraid to let it wait. Believe me, I thought for sure when I turned the computer back on it would still be there. WHEW!

LOL Straycat, I have one called, "notsofriendlyneighbor"- :) It's not new. That one has been there for several years. speaking of...that's why I just purchased a security camera system. We recently had a nasty piece of vandalism on our street. The neighbors out back thought it was kids but, they managed to pummel a large hole in someone's garage. They did it from the inside. It's not like they were trying to get in, they did it for fun.

I didn't open it, I x'd out and shut down the computer, waited a minute or two then turned it back on. All Gone! (I think :)) Oh, I had to force the shut down. I was afraid to let it wait. Believe me, I thought for sure when I turned the computer back on it would still be there. WHEW!

LOL Straycat, I have one called, "notsofriendlyneighbor"- :) It's not new. That one has been there for several years. speaking of...that's why I just purchase a security camera system. We recently had a nasty piece of vandalism on our street. The neighbors out back thought it was kids but, they managed to pummel a large hole in someone's garage. They did it from the inside. It's not like they were trying to get in, they did it for fun.

I have been using security cameras since the early 1980s when they weren't yet in vogue. I currently have 12 cameras in operation with a total capacity of 16 cameras. In this day and age it is almost mandatory. I would also suggest a dash cam for your car. A decent one can be had on flea bay for under $30.

I have 2 dash cams because I accidentally hit the wrong button and ordered 2. Here's my problem with that...I take out the sim card put it in the flash drive because the card is full and I can't figure out how to erase (format?) it. AND YES, I tried to follow youtube instructions but I keep getting interrupted and have a million other things I'm doing so one of these days or nights I'll have to try again or :D I'll wait for those kids who think I only love them for their tech skills to show me how to fix this.

I didn't purchase a large security set-4 cameras that comes with it's own monitor because what if something happens to my laptop. I read the instructions. Something about the "repeater camera has to be in a certain place, then installing in a cocentric pattern then programming each camera-this is way out of my league.

But seriously, back to the FBI Van, :D Do you think it's really the FBI? If it was someone living around here the name wouldn't just disappear. Would it?, if the signal was weak enough? And it's kind of curious you have one on your computer too, No?

I baked ziti the other night and our street smelled like Cortese...maybe they were trying to find contraband whole milk cheese products.

psst FBI, I've got a contraband before Thanksgiving turkey in the oven right now... B):)

I have 2 dash cams because I accidentally hit the wrong button and ordered 2. Here's my problem with that...I take out the sim card put it in the flash drive because the card is full and I can't figure out how to erase (format?) it. AND YES, I tried to follow youtube instructions but I keep getting interrupted and have a million other things I'm doing so one of these days or nights I'll have to try again or :D I'll wait for those kids who think I only love them for their tech skills to show me how to fix this.

I didn't purchase a large security set-4 cameras that comes with it's own monitor because what if something happens to my laptop. I read the instructions. Something about the "repeater camera has to be in a certain place, then installing in a cocentric pattern then programming each camera-this is way out of my league.

But seriously, back to the FBI Van, :D Do you think it's really the FBI? If it was someone living around here the name wouldn't just disappear. Would it?, if the signal was weak enough? And it's kind of curious you have one on your computer too, No?

I baked ziti the other night and our street smelled like Cortese...maybe they were trying to find contraband whole milk cheese products.

psst FBI, I've got a contraband before Thanksgiving turkey in the oven right now... B):)

You can configure your dash cam to record over the oldest files when the flash card becomes full. I have a 64gb card in my dash cam and it will easily store several days of driving before it begins to overwrite the oldest files. The instructions that come with these Chinese imports can be extremely difficult to understand and many times they make no sense at all due to the poor translation to English.

I seriously doubt that the actual FBI would broadcast their identity in their WiFi ID, however perhaps being that blatantly obvious actually contributes to stealthfullness. More than likely it is a homeowner seeking a unique network name.

I have a FBI Van that shows up on my available networks as well. Based on the signal strength I would surmise it to be within 2-3 houses from me or perhaps directly across the street. Could we be in the same neighborhood? I am on the south side of JC.

I didn't smell the ziti baking and I seldom bake a turkey more than once a year. I prefer my turkey to gobble before I stuff it however that is probably more info than you need! :lol: I hope your's turns out well. As for me I am baking chicken as I type and boiling butternut squash for my dinner. Bon Appetit!

:) LOL! I live in Binghamton so you definitely would not have smelled my ziti baking this week. I thought the dash cam would keep recording over but it doesn't. It says card full on the screen. It will not record anymore and I've used both sim cards up now. I don't know what the data storage is, I only recall 5 or six hours worth of time. I did see a delete prompt when I was first learning to use it but now I can't find it. I'm just going to have to play around with it some more until I find it again. I hate doing these things, Too time consuming!

As I mentioned, the FBI Van is not within my network right now...so what are they doing? Driving around? If they have nothing better to do, I have a security system that need to be installed and some yard work to be finished.

LOL. I name my networks similarly - just to tweak people who might see it. I heard it from someone and started doing it, and I know I've told other people who have done the same. It's been spreading around for years.

Hell, mine was FBI for a while, then I noticed a neighbor put up NSA... :D

The 'FBI Van' could be a couple things.

1. It could just be a funny named WiFi like people already mentioned, and it comes and goes due to a weak signal

2. it could also be a personal MiFi or Hotspot system somebody is using that they also named funny. These systems get turned on / off all the time so that could explain why you see it, then don't see it.

:) You're probably right. I just can't imagine anyone making that up and actually utilizing a network name like that, unless you actually did work for the FBI. So bizarre.

I just scanned the network connections and I do see they tend to come and go. It just never occurred to me to monitor them until now. Funny I know which one is my mothers because I frequently have to reset her system.

seriously people... if the FBI was out doing investigations would they label their network FBI VAN... really??? ya I know they are not too smart but really..??

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear they actually did that. Piss off the wrong IT guy...

... The instructions that come with these Chinese imports can be extremely difficult to understand and many times they make no sense at all due to the poor translation to English.

What's so hard to understand about "Me love you long time"?

Wait, what were we talking about again?

^ :) Silly...Good Morning! I'm so glad I didn't hire someone to...hang a camera, plug it in, turn on the monitor, wait a few seconds...VOILA! A picture shows up on the screen in one of the 4 boxes. :o It's magic! :D It's easier than hanging Christmas lights! Sure there are a bunch of bells and whistles I don't need to know about right now but I don't have to pull a Gladys Kravitz and hide behind the drapes and try to peek out the window every time somebody knocks on the door. 1 down 3 to go! ....Now I have to figure out that sim card problem...ho hum...

And yes, the writing in the manual is bad. It's bad everywhere. I guess media doesn't need editors anymore and the writers don't care. Yesterday I saw a local media outlet mix the words( work with) to make a new word...WORTH. :blink:

How's this for technical writing...

"Screenshots of the manual is not in a machine and only for display. If in doubt, obtaining a copy of the latest procedure or the additional document, please contact with the company's after sales department."

That was just on the first page under "Declaration".

Archived