Charlottesville Silliness

M_Sable

I'm interested in opinions. Now that we had the big kerfluffle here with imported protesters on both sides in Charlottesville. They want to remove an old slave auction block in Fredericksburg.

The actions of one whacko here should not limit the right of others to express their opinions. He should be judged according to the law, and harshly.

Should we completely remove everything that offends anyone? Why not leave it right where it is and talk about it? Why not put up a historical marker that explains what it was?

I'm getting annoyed.

I also don't get why persons that I'm sure I disagree with are shouted down or can't even speak on college campuses. Let them have their say. If they are fools, they will out themselves as such.

Is that not what the 1st Amendment is all about?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/naacp-move-slave-auction-block-from-fredericksburg-downtown-1.14251449

I'm interested in opinions. Now that we had the big kerfluffle here with imported protesters on both sides in Charlottesville. They want to remove an old slave auction block in Fredericksburg.

{snip}

Should we completely remove everything that offends anyone? Why not leave it right where it is and talk about it? Why not put up a historical marker that explains what it was?

I hear ya. Plus, it's not like that once it's removed the text books in "history" class in areas like this will teach the children what "auction blocks" were in the early decades/centuries of North American history during and prior to us becoming a nation.

MUCH of our history will be dying out within the next 50 years as monuments and the like are removed and their topics won't even be taught anymore.

My opinion (if anyone cares), I think they are trying to sweep slavery under the rug and pretend that it never existed. Germany did that with the holocaust, ashamed of what they did and hoping no one would remember.

It's history folks, it happened. And we can never forget it so it won't happen again

Good morning! Ahhhh...had a decent nights sleep for once so I need to get up and moving after this cup of coffee, ok 2 cups.

They have a slave auction block in Fredricksburg? Virginia? Who knew? I slept there once for 4 hrs in a motel on my way to Myrtle beach. That other time I tried to go south for a vacation to Carolina beach I completely missed the Fredricksburg exit and ended up in Annapolis. The sign was blocked by a tree. :blink::) I have no idea how I found my way to the interstate.

IMO, a slave auction block belongs in a museum. That is actually something that does not need to be on display out in the open. The word that comes to mind is TACKY.

Have a good day everyone.

My opinion (if anyone cares), I think they are trying to sweep slavery under the rug and pretend that it never existed. Germany did that with the holocaust, ashamed of what they did and hoping no one would remember.

It's history folks, it happened. And we can never forget it so it won't happen again

Germany did no such thing. The camps are still there as reminders of what happened.

I do agree that history is what happened and cant be changed. Societies need to learn from the past not pretend it never happened.

The whole thing is all just more race card whiny BS.

I'm getting annoyed.

I also don't get why persons that I'm sure I disagree with are shouted down or can't even speak on college campuses. Let them have their say. If they are fools, they will out themselves as such.

Is that not what the 1st Amendment is all about?

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/naacp-move-slave-auction-block-from-fredericksburg-downtown-1.14251449

I agree. Depending on what happens in the 2018 midterms this bizarre behavior will either greatly accelerate or disappear.

Archived