What's Up With Our Universities?

M_Sable

Last post tonight...promise.

I thought that universities are meant to be a time where you try to become usefully educated and employable, party and cut the strings, and explore a whole new world of differing opinions.

Now certain speakers (many of whom I really disagree with) can't even have their say?

How can you become educated if you can't hear diverse opinions and decide for yourself?

Now we have student "demands" at Cornell? Spoiled brats. You don't get to have "demands". You may request a meeting to discuss issues of concern to you.

http://cornellsun.com/2017/09/27/black-students-uniteds-demands-in-hand-cornell-president-faces-first-big-test/

Maybe I'm missing something here.

You're thinking High School for "employable"

Colleges have always fostered a clientele that could not survive outside the academic microverse.

Liberal Arts

Political Science

Art History

Psychology

Journalism

Theatre

Philosophy

None of these graduate you with a clue to how to perform at a job. Except as a teacher to spread the uselessness to the next generation.

I disagree, Former, but only with the caveat of going back 42 years.

I majored in History at what was then Harpur College. You had to think objectively, and be able to speak and write.

My path in life diverged tremendously from there, but what I learned then has been instrumental in everything else. Read, write coherently, analyze, think. Then combine that with working hard in places where it just takes physical labor and learned skills that our society demeans.

That is the dilemma.

History? Or "Art History".

One of the most useful college courses I took was "Group Dynamics and Behavior" and how people interact in groups and meetings.

Also "Effective Speaking", which I hated . . . but to be able to speak well in a group situation can make a HUGE difference in your professional life.

Wearing stupid hats and shouting wasn't covered in either. ;-)

You see this one. Students were apparently protesting that they couldn't take an exam home to complete, instead of doing it in class. The video poster put times you can skip to in the description. Shows you how bonkers some campuses are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCtgaDNgDaU

Time for participation awards instead of diplomas.

No doubt. I think there will be a huge surge in trade schools and apprentice positions because parents will more and more realize that Universities are now toxic.

No doubt. I think there will be a huge surge in trade schools and apprentice positions because parents will more and more realize that Universities are now toxic.

You struck a note there '75.

In Germany, it is understood that you may choose a trade, or university. Neither one is considered demeaning. A master butcher or plumber is not looked down on, and they have very strict requirements to be licensed.

I have a degree, but so what? It helped I guess, but also worked my ass off working for the Press & Sun Bulliten (remember that?), Grand Union, 7-11 on Chenango and Bevier in the late '70's (scary even then).

I have a BS in History...short for BullShit. I hope to get a PhD...Piled Higher and Deeper.

There is nothing at all wrong with trade schools...we should encourage that, and support them. We are becoming a country of useless intellectuals and clueless young folks, and it is our responsibility to fix it.

I would be interested in your thoughts on that.

You see this one. Students were apparently protesting that they couldn't take an exam home to complete, instead of doing it in class. The video poster put times you can skip to in the description. Shows you how bonkers some campuses are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCtgaDNgDaU

Learn something new everyday...I didn't know the ring through the nose signified a bull ring? I still don't know what that is supposed to mean, nevermind. :)

Here is an example of self determination. These students have self determined they are psychologically incapable of taking their exam under the parameters set forth by their teacher. Therefore the teacher must accommodate them?

You struck a note there '75.

In Germany, it is understood that you may choose a trade, or university. Neither one is considered demeaning. A master butcher or plumber is not looked down on, and they have very strict requirements to be licensed.

I have a degree, but so what? It helped I guess, but also worked my ass off working for the Press & Sun Bulliten (remember that?), Grand Union, 7-11 on Chenango and Bevier in the late '70's (scary even then).

I have a BS in History...short for BullShit. I hope to get a PhD...Piled Higher and Deeper.

There is nothing at all wrong with trade schools...we should encourage that, and support them. We are becoming a country of useless intellectuals and clueless young folks, and it is our responsibility to fix it.

I would be interested in your thoughts on that.

I never saw the request for my thoughts. I fully support a trend towards trade schools and apprenticeships not only because Universities have become some kind of sci-fi reeducation camp but we will always need somebody to build and repair things. There is some kind of weird honor in accomplishing things with hands and mind. That is why I don't buy into the thought we will be replaced with robots in the long term. Humans will revolt. And if a surge in trade schools and apprenticeships happens before AI gains more short term ground, AI might fade faster than anyone predicted.

I love that particular observation. Cleansing of the soul. Weird that I get it and for a change I am at a loss for words to express how right that is.

It is one of those natural laws we are supposed to recognize and pay attention to I suspect.

That is why I don't buy into the thought we will be replaced with robots in the long term. Humans will revolt. And if a surge in trade schools and apprenticeships happens before AI gains more short term ground, AI might fade faster than anyone predicted.

Robots are tools. What you're saying is that you think we will stop advancing our tools... something we've been doing for the entire duration of our species.

Seems rather unlikely to me.

Robots are tools. What you're saying is that you think we will stop advancing our tools... something we've been doing for the entire duration of our species.

Seems rather unlikely to me.

No, you are misunderstanding. There is an argument on here that pursuing manufacturing jobs for America is a waste of time because of robots taking over all manufacturing. I argue humans will never let it get that far. I never said we would eliminate all robots.

Archived