Oakdale Mall

Mr. Met

A lot has happened since the site went down and has remerged......

What's everyones take on the state of the mall? Obviously it's on it's way being gone. I do not think it lasts beyond 2021 personally.

What are some solutions?

How did JC manage to depend on that much in property taxes from it? We are talking a 8-10% hit once it's gone. 

I think the only solution is to dissolve or annex into the City of Binghamton as I do not see what benefits comes with the Town of Union. The contiguous border with Binghamton is an obvious plus on that side.

Anyone else have a take? Opinion?

I think there's a lesson to be learned about taxes here. And that lesson is simple: tax fairly, tax consistently.

Want to know how JC became dependent on the Mall's taxes? Because they give sweetheart tax deals to places like Walmart. I forget Walmart's exact deal, but they all follow the same pattern: significant tax breaks for 20+ years, at which point the business threatens to leave unless the sweetheart deals remain.

Due to the nature of the business, the mall couldn't make the same threats.

Kinda like the rest of us, who are footing the profits of Walmart by paying the taxes they aren't.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, 27 Time World Champions said:

Bring back Alladin’s Castle and load the place up with PAC MAN, Space Invaders, Galaga and Frogger. Also bring back the movie theatres. I remember going there with my Dad in 1977 to see Star Wars. Also bring back that water fountain. On second thought.... fuck it !!!

I'm with you, TWC!  Used to go up there and buy tokens to play Asteroids and Death Race 2000 for hours with friends. Those were the days, but they are long gone now.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, Mr. Met said:

A lot has happened since the site went down and has remerged......

What's everyones take on the state of the mall? Obviously it's on it's way being gone. I do not think it lasts beyond 2021 personally.

What are some solutions?

How did JC manage to depend on that much in property taxes from it? We are talking a 8-10% hit once it's gone. 

I think the only solution is to dissolve or annex into the City of Binghamton as I do not see what benefits comes with the Town of Union. The contiguous border with Binghamton is an obvious plus on that side.

Anyone else have a take? Opinion?

Well, Mr. Met, just an opinion.  We don't care to drive to a mall, find parking, and walk around trying to find what you came there for, and deal with screaming kids and wise-ass teenagers hanging around. We prefer to get on-line and order what we need, and it shows up, cheaper and less  time spent that can be used to garden, clean, or just hang out on the deck.

The global economy has changed, and if workers are getting screwed, look to the corporations that employ them and use them daily, while getting tax cuts and paying CEOs astronomical salaries and benefits. It's plain as day. I believe in capitalism, but also in a balanced equation between those that work bottom to top.

It's a sad state of affairs.

5 hours ago, M_Sable said:

Well, Mr. Met, just an opinion.  We don't care to drive to a mall, find parking, and walk around trying to find what you came there for, and deal with screaming kids and wise-ass teenagers hanging around. We prefer to get on-line and order what we need, and it shows up, cheaper and less  time spent that can be used to garden, clean, or just hang out on the deck.

The global economy has changed, and if workers are getting screwed, look to the corporations that employ them and use them daily, while getting tax cuts and paying CEOs astronomical salaries and benefits. It's plain as day. I believe in capitalism, but also in a balanced equation between those that work bottom to top.

It's a sad state of affairs.

I did not ask why malls are decaying. I know that they and why they are.  Also it is not an issue relegated to our area. I asked what to do for JC moving forward and why it was so heavily depended on as a source of tax. I also what are some ideas about what can be done for the current property moving forward once the mall is officially closed. 

Well, beats me, Mr. Met. It's hard to fix a soup sandwich.  Turn it into an incubator to encourage new business?  Hard to do with NYS taxes and regulations being what they are. It won't come back as retail space. The US has more than double the retail space per customer than any country in Europe......we simply over did it.

The villages have relied on tax revenue from dying sources for along time.  IBM, the Oakdale Mall....it's time for consolidation and cost savings.  Areas of the country that are moving up do not have a bunch of tiny villages with redundant services.

Archived