Endwell 1960's Questions

M_Sable

I remember stuff visually, but have a bad memory for names.  Was wondering if anyone could fill in the blanks:

1. Before the Hooper Road overpass was put in over Main Street (17C) there was a lumber yard there.....burned down....began with a "B" maybe?

2. To get to Main Street you could cross the tracks on I think it was Pearl Street and there was an old general store there on Main Street that was great for kids....can't remember the name.

3. Bottom of Lott Street, corner of Hooper Road....same kind of old store....Charlies???  Maybe? I think it became a dentist's office.

4. Before the Struble Road Dam was built, we used to hike up to a place that I think was called "Froggy Pond".  Anyone remember that?

5. Pig Stand? Was that by Main & North?

6. Food joint on Hooper near Brink Street.....by the car wash.  I think Ted Valenta owned it.....

Thanks.  My brothers and I were at a funeral recently, and it was mistaken for an Alzheimers support group....

1) Beckwith Lumber

2) Michael's (I think) - I believe that if you kept going across Pearl Street you would find Seeley's where kids went for lunch

5) right before the split where North St branches off Main street - have been several diners there in recent years

6) Chuckwagon

22 hours ago, Nyrfan said:

Just to clarify - Whipples was on Main Street where Burger King is located today.  Beckwith was located approximately where the Hooper Road overpass currently sits, right next to the railroad tracks

Endicott Lincoln Mercury was right there in the Burger King area also.

I can remember the Drive in theater and the Henry's Hamburger stand that were located near where the Hooper Road exit is now. Also the Carol's Hamburger stand that was on the other side of where Hooper connects.

ninja_cat___animated_by_raynebowbear-d32

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath away.

Tri Cities Buzz forum at: http://tricitiesbuzz.boards.net  Check it out!

Here is a photo of the Henry's Hamburger stand that was next to the current Endwell Rug Store. In fact you can see it in the background of the picture. The drive in theater was on the other side of the rug store.

50474616_10156083747605544_3761284598353362944_o.jpg

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take But by the moments that take our breath away.

Tri Cities Buzz forum at: http://tricitiesbuzz.boards.net  Check it out!

15 hours ago, Mr. Met said:

What is the origin of the name “Endwell” anyhow?

I know how JC, Binghamton and Endicott got theirs but never Endwell. 

Thanks to everyone for the rememberences! I had forgotten about Whipples.

I had forgotten a lot of that.

Hooper Road did meet with Main Street before the overpass was built...I vaguely remember it.

I think that "Endwell" was the name of an EJ shoe, but I may be wrong...

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/14709

Located in Endwell to the east of Endicott and west of Binghamton, NY. The Tri-City Drive-In was opened August 21, 1946 with Rita Hayworth in “Cover Girl” and Roy Rogers in “Bells of Rosarita”. It was Owned by (FABH) Neil Hellman, TriCity Amusement Co., Inc. Had a capacity for 600 cars. It was demolished in the 1960’s to make room for Route 17. A Hess gas station is located near the former entrance.

large.jpg?1420582684

Archived