Sign in to follow this  
PeteMoss

Why Battisti can't win

Let's assume that Francis Paul Battisti does win the Republican Primary.  I highly doubt that it will happen but who knows.

Because Paul has been so nasty, many of Korchak's supporters will not vote for him. me being one of them.  We will not fill in his dot. 

Other Korchak supporters will vote for the Dem.  This leaves probably 33% of the Korchak Republicans that will vote for Paul solely because he is a Republican.

What say you?

Battisti and his puppet masters are so vile, there are many people who will never vote for him.  I also think Korchak will win the primary, but if not, there is a coalition so large against Battisti, he will have a very tough time in the general election.

47 minutes ago, Back in Black said:

Many said that Donald Trump wouldn’t win either.......

Thankfully we don't have an electoral college to decide that position, it's 1 person 1 vote.

11 hours ago, Wayne Rooney said:

I guess the same could be said if Korchak wins the primary though he has certainly taken the high road.

Here's the thing.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Battisti "can't" win, but I said from the very beginning that if Paul had any friends who cared about him, they would have discouraged him from doing this. There's a reason his campaign has to constantly scrub hateful and embarrassing posts from his social media.

There is plenty of anger out there, from former clients to unpaid creditors to people he shafted on business deals. People who get sucked into his vortex end up disgusted. Some of the stories are like Lionel Hutz gags, and if you're familiar with his practice, it's hard not to suspect he's running because he's in trouble and urgently needs a steady paycheck.

Korchak doesn't have this problem. People actually seem to respect him. More than once, Battisti has run smear campaigns accusing the District Attorney's office of being soft on specific cases, and it came out that the victims are actually satisfied with the handling of their cases and support Korchak. Battisti's casual supporters don't know who he is or care who his father is, and just put the signs out because they saw pictures of him with Fred Akshar and wanted to be dutiful Republicans, but a lot of those signs have since disappeared.

Pete has a point. Battisti is just not going to be missed the way Korchak will.

A courthouse friend I had dinner with Friday suggested an excellent campaign slogan: "I've known Paul Battisti for years. That's why I'm voting for Mike Korchak."

Pete, F. Paul will win.

Don't underestimate the strength of his father's network, including his connection to the Mollen machine. People like Fran and automatically associate Paul with the likeable Fran. Most people around here have zero idea what scuttlebutt is discussed here.

Broome County adores its overlords and social betters, going back to the Johnson family. Paul has ingratiated himself with the local machine and will win handily.

9 hours ago, binghamtonian said:

Thankfully we don't have an electoral college to decide that position, it's 1 person 1 vote.

Which has brought about the absolute decay of America, New York especially. Each State should have adopted a system similar to the Electoral College. For instance, to win Statewide office you should have to win a majority of the counties. New York state wouldn't be the shit hole it is if there was that kind of system in place. Democracy is a cancer. Look it up. The Founders knew Democracy was tyranny and that is why they created the Electoral College. If you hate the EC and love Democracy go live in fucking China. You are too ignorant to be an American. 

3 hours ago, ThelmaHarper said:

Pete, F. Paul will win.

Don't underestimate the strength of his father's network, including his connection to the Mollen machine. People like Fran and automatically associate Paul with the likeable Fran. Most people around here have zero idea what scuttlebutt is discussed here.

Broome County adores its overlords and social betters, going back to the Johnson family. Paul has ingratiated himself with the local machine and will win handily.

The old man is not well liked at BCC. 

13 hours ago, 19April1775 said:

Which has brought about the absolute decay of America, New York especially. Each State should have adopted a system similar to the Electoral College. For instance, to win Statewide office you should have to win a majority of the counties. New York state wouldn't be the shit hole it is if there was that kind of system in place. Democracy is a cancer. Look it up. The Founders knew Democracy was tyranny and that is why they created the Electoral College. If you hate the EC and love Democracy go live in fucking China. You are too ignorant to be an American. 

Literally one of the dumbest takes I've read on here in a long time. Thankfully the founding fathers weren't as stupid as you are.

13 hours ago, ThelmaHarper said:

Pete, F. Paul will win.

sadly, this is very true. Battisti is going to win and then when people see what he's really like they'll turn a blind eye and re-elect him. 

20 hours ago, 19April1775 said:

There's a hot take.

We're getting off into the weeds here, but this is historically wrong.

1) The Framers never intended that electors bloc-vote by state to begin with. It was envisioned to be more democratic than it is, not less, with individual electors chosen by their districts to debate the Presidency as a body and casting non-partisan votes that reflected their conclusions on behalf of their communities.

2) The goal was not to give small states more weight, it was to give certain large states more weight. Several considered direct election ideal, but southern states wanted the President chosen directly by Congress. Nearly half their population was enslaved and would count for nothing in direct elections. The EC was a compromise meant to preserve - not reduce - popular control of the Presidency (Federalist #68) in the face of undemocratic concessions to keep slave states on board.

Nevermind that the existing winner-take-all system is a corruption that took place decades after the fact, and which was objected to by surviving Founders. Nevermind that it causes many states, both large and small - including New York - to be ignored by both parties. Nevermind that what you proposed is not even vaguely close to how the Electoral College works to begin with. How far should we take this? "One Town, One Vote" in county elections would give kleptomaniacs like Debbie Preston more power, not less.

Paul received an outstanding endorsement from former DA /Supreme Court/Broome County Court Judge Patrick Monserrate. "Professional competence has seemingly been replaced with publicity seeking pretense. A substantial change is needed." Low-energy Korchak is in trouble.

11 hours ago, julia allison 56 said:

Low-energy Korchak is in trouble.

Uh-huh. We all know about Paul's "energy". I hope he can control his stress-twitching during the debate tomorrow night.

Ohhhh wait, he can't handle a debate. He'll be answering scripted questions from people who work with his dad.

4 hours ago, julia allison 56 said:

Paul received an outstanding endorsement from former DA /Supreme Court/Broome County Court Judge Patrick Monserrate. "Professional competence has seemingly been replaced with publicity seeking pretense. A substantial change is needed." Low-energy Korchak is in trouble.

Monserrate? Has he been on the bench for either a Battisti or Korchak trial? I don’t think so.

You know who has? Judge Smith. This is what an outstanding endorsement looks like.

I'm not sure how professional and responsible someone is when they're in collections every month for their utility, house expenses and taxes. He can't even manage his own finances, but he wants to run a county DA office?

1 hour ago, Drone1 said:

I'm not sure how professional and responsible someone is when they're in collections every month for their utility, house expenses and taxes. He can't even manage his own finances, but he wants to run a county DA office?

Correct. The IRS problems were just the tip of the iceberg, and he's been skating along like that for years. Capital One and Olum's filed suit against him and his wife, respectively, in 2016. The records on the Capital One filing at Broome County show he let it go until the judgment was entered and he received the warning notice that they'd start filing liens.

Then there were his misadventures as a slumlord. A local developer bought a historic building he'd bought in pristine condition, and the state Battisti had let it decay into was disgraceful and probably illegal. One of the tenants used to cut my hair and the stories were hilarious.

2 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

L.D bought a historic building he'd bought from Maggie Martin in pristine condition, 

I 100% understand your points regarding Paul but I would be cautious using L.D in your argument for a few reasons. Amcat global has a multimilllion dollar judgemt against him over the press building that he partially satisfied, L.D filed a lawsuit against Peerless insurance that I believe got dismissed, and the current litigation he has going against his former attorney Ronald Benjamin and Luciano Picirrilli as L.D co-defendant who was recently released from that suit, and L.D who recently had an appeal infront of Third department Appellate division because his case against 83 Stellar didn’t go as well as he wanted it to. L.D is a good guy but nobody is perfect

1 hour ago, 92CorruptCourtStreet said:

is a good guy but nobody is perfect

Speaking only to the timeline. He has no role in the story, although I gather his workmen indicated Battisti really jerked them around on the condition of the property. Also editing the post to remove names because in retrospect, there's no reason to add either of their names to that.

10 hours ago, binghamtonian said:

Literally one of the dumbest takes I've read on here in a long time. Thankfully the founding fathers weren't as stupid as you are.

Sure thing hot shot. You blow a lot of smoke but have always proven that you don't know shit about anything except what bluestate.com tells you to know.

3 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

Uh-huh. We all know about Paul's "energy". I hope he can control his stress-twitching during the debate tonight.

Ohhhh wait, he can't handle a debate. He'll be answering scripted questions from people who work with his dad.

I hope somebody asks the candidates how it is the "girls" were released to their parents after breaking the neck of a 76 yr old Broome County, City of Binghamton citizen. Why do they get to go home? Do they still have their phones? Which candidate is going to say, "You place your hands on another person off to jail with you."

27 minutes ago, ginger said:

I hope somebody asks the candidates how it is the "girls" were released to their parents after breaking the neck of a 76 yr old Broome County, City of Binghamton citizen. Why do they get to go home? Do they still have their phones? Which candidate is going to say, "You place your hands on another person off to jail with you."

That isn’t a District Attorney issue. Juvenile’s that is.

21 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

The old man is not well liked at BCC. 

Maybe. I wouldn't know. But he's everywhere in the community and name recognition is high. That network is all about connections and relationships, not ability.  "Friends" are all that matters.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, ThelmaHarper said:

Pete, F. Paul will win.

I agree. Battisti has signage all over. I’ve seen one Korchak sign. The average voter who bothers to show up and is republican will vote for him based on name recognition.