Herman Wouk Passes Away

ginger

Pulitzer Prize author and Navy Veteran  Herman Wouk passed away at age 103.

He wrote the Caine Mutiny, War and Remembrance... I'm guessing everyone here is familiar with his work.

I'm just astounded because my daughter is graduating Columbia this week. Herman Wouk graduated Columbia. (class of '34) Final commencement is next Wednesday and it is their tradition that the University President give the final commencement address. (no guest speakers)Just this morning I was telling her she needs to attend. She stated she was skipping(final commencement not her own schools ceremony) because she had to work. I told her I hoped she would change her mind. Then I wake up and find Herman Wouk died on my news feed. I bet their President is feverishly changing his speech as we speak! I bet it's going to be historic and hope I can catch it live streamed. Grrr, she'd better attend!😣☺️

post edit...I might also mention he was a New Yorker through and through. I hope Governor Cuomo does something special.

I never read Winds of War or War and Remembrance but I remember watching the mini series in the eighties with my parents. I also have a great memory of my dad flanked by my brother and me and my uncle watching the Caine Mutiny for the first time. It's a good thing we didn't have dvr or remote control back then or my dad would have had us rewatching the "important" scenes over and over and over... :) He was a true movie aficionado and made sure we saw the classics. One time I remember waking up in the middle of the night. I'd been sick with the Hong Kong flu, a most vile disease that almost killed the both of us. He was watching Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal. He made us toast and tea and explained the movie to me during commercials. A rather fortuitous scenario...or was it? :) About as fortuitous as Herman Wouk passing away during commencement week, or is it? Interpretation and analysis to be determined as the week progresses I'm hoping!

I just watched the President's address. I don't why I was expecting to hear something with a modicum of profundity. Oh wait, he did refer to the parents of the students as "unqualified".