BROOME COUNTY DATA BREACH: TENS OF THOUSANDS MAY BE AFFECTED

BinghamtonBill

2 minutes ago, Endwellian said:

Someone who knows what's going on here, please correct me.  Following this thread, my understanding is: There was a major hack of Broome County, which is comprised of two major issues?  First, there may be 10,000 local residents who's personal data was stolen.  Second, $40-60k in employee salaries was stolen.And Broome County notified some of those affected, but not everyone?

Regardless... this is a disaster.  

I'm a Democrat, but locally I usually vote Republican.  I did vote for Garnar. But I need to know, what steps did the county taken prior to the hack, to prevent such attacks.  And, what has the county done since the attack to make it right?   These attacks happen all over the country.  But if Garnar did know since January, and some one those impacted still don't know, Garnar needs to go 100%.

You will never hear what steps were and were not taken.  As I posted, it could be an outside job or it could be an inside job. 

We need to learn the truth about what happened but unfortunately, governments lie in a situation like this.  We will never know the truth.

They still might not know the extent of the damage.  This could be hard to track down and resolve.

5 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

Hold my nose but I would vote for Richie!

I would vote for Rich David over Garnar.  But with the rumors he’s running for Congress: I’d vote David over Brindisi in November, but in a primary I would happily vote Steve Cornwell over David. And George Phillips is a nice man, but he’s out of this race.

13 minutes ago, Endwellian said:

I would vote for Rich David over Garnar.  But with the rumors he’s running for Congress: I’d vote David over Brindisi in November, but in a primary I would happily vote Steve Cornwell over David. And George Phillips is a nice man, but he’s out of this race.

George Phillips is not out of this race unless you mean he can't win.  He lost 3 times already and he is raising money for a fourth try.  He needs to give it up.

You are correct, he is a nice guy.

14 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

George Phillips is not out of this race unless you mean he can't win.  He lost 3 times already and he is raising money for a fourth try.  He needs to give it up.

You are correct, he is a nice guy.

Yes that is what I meant. 

10 hours ago, Endwellian said:

A Cornwell-David race will be interesting.

At the lower level I wonder if one will be pitted against Donna Lupardo or if Bijoy will continue to just forfeit that race.

And who will run for mayor in the city? Kraham or Scaringi. Anyone will do as long as the winner isn't the PLOT agitators.

On 5/26/2019 at 5:32 PM, PeteMoss said:

From what I am reading here I don't think this was an outside job.  If it was a hacker, he would steal everything he could, he wouldn't steal a little bit from some paychecks.

This sounds more like an inside job.  Someone peeled off a little here and a little there hoping to not be noticed.  This is the MO of most government employees who get caught by the NYS comptroller.  Five bucks here, ten bucks there.  Eventually it adds up and they get caught.

This is just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.  But I could be totally right.

I'm betting on an outside job.  We'll see!

BCVoice has learned Jason Garnar will finally address this major issue LATE TOMORROW.  The county is hoping by releasing the news late on a Friday, the media won't have time to put stories together, and few Broome County residents will see the news on a Friday night.

BCVoice has also learned everything posted here WILL BE CONFIRMED.  

BCVoice has also also learned, Broome County has spent up to $300,000 trying to clean up this MESS!

From what i'm told Jason Garnar today will try to down play the severity of the hacking (which took place in January of this year)  County Computers and what was taken in the breach. People that work for the County should check their credit ratings because of the breach County Employee Social Security Numbers were also compromised along with Sensitive Medical Information.

This should not be taken lightly by the Media! Not all County employees were contacted and told of the hacking which they had a right to know at the time it happened.

Shame on Jason Garnar! 5 Month's later come on Jason, i knew you were slow but 5 month's?

On 5/30/2019 at 9:13 PM, PeteMoss said:

Come on Bill.  The Broome County Chief Information Officer has all of these certifications after his name -

MS- PMP,CISSP,CISA,SCP,AWS-ASA

He couldn't have screwed up?  Could he?

LOL...you can easily hang paper on the wall in IT. What matters is experience and tech-savvy.

Frankly, I'm not sure local governments can afford to properly secure their networks. Think about it - big money companies spend millions upon millions per year, yet they still deal with intrusions on a regular basis. Even if your system is properly locked down, you can't forget about the the human element, always the weakest link in the security chain. All it takes is one person logging in from a compromised public kiosk or wifi for a hacker to get in. Or one person to fall for social engineering.

Bingo.

Broome County: Dozens scammed by phishing email, exposing personal information

Broome County Director of Information Technology Jim Dutcher calls the incident Broome County’s first breach of this magnitude.

Describing the incident, he says, “bad guys will send an email to the victims that looks somewhat like an originating Broome County official email of sorts.”