Sign in to follow this  
PeteMoss

Battisti releases court documenets giving up a potential witness's name

So Francis Battisti releases 3 documents trying to show an error on Korchak's part.  The document was also signed by the acting foreperson.

Then, he blanked out the name of his client who allegedly threatened a potential witness but Battisti did not blacken out the "witness's" name.

This is so bad on many levels.   Battisti is using his campaign to get back at his client's accuser.

Battisti will stoop as low as he has to go. 

I will not include the documents here. 

In addition to putting the accuser's name out in the public, Battisti also hung out the acting foreperson's name for the public to see, including Battisti's client.

I feel sorry for the acting foreperson.  Because of the dismissed charges, I would be very afraid if I was him/her. 

This shows that Battisti is definitely not fit for the job of DA. 

I believe by releasing the names Battisti committed a crime.  Maybe even a felony? The DA's office does not file indictments with the court, the Grand Jury (specifically the grand jury foreman) does.  So Battisti's issue is really with the foreman, not Mr. Korchak.  

What a colossal misfire by Battisti.

From the article on the Press and Sun-Bulletin's website:

" During a separate news conference Wednesday, Korchak said he was limited from discussing the facts of the case in question because it's since been sealed, but denied that any indictment was fabricated. "

So Battisti released documents from a sealed case?  I believe that Officer Al is correct, this could have serious legal implications for Battisti.

In not sure I even understand what Battisti is trying to allege. 

So the paperwork was prepared, the case was not presented, the paperwork ended up getting handed to the foreman who signed it by mistake, and then they caught the mistake and dropped it before anything happened?

36 minutes ago, Bingoloid said:

In not sure I even understand what Battisti is trying to allege. 

So the paperwork was prepared, the case was not presented, the paperwork ended up getting handed to the foreman who signed it by mistake, and then they caught the mistake and dropped it before anything happened?

I agree with you.  The acting forperson signed it.

Does anyone know if in a grand jury proceeding the DA is present when the votes are taken?

23 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

Clerical mistakes happen. The key is if you have systems in place to minimize them, catch them, and correct them before any harm is done. What I'm reading is that nobody was charged or arrested.

Considering that Battisti's biggest attorney-cheerleader took a mistake involving a child sex predator all the way through trial and blew up the conviction on appeal, and considering that Battisti is notorious in this community for losing documents and not being able to remember from day to day who he's signed contracts with and being surprised when he finds out, my mind is blown that he'd bring this up.

Another intentional half-truth from the Battisti camp because he thinks his supporters are idiots.

2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Does anyone know if in a grand jury proceeding the DA is present when the votes are taken?

When a grand jury votes, no one else is allowed in the room.  No prosecutors, police, etc.  Only members of the grand jury.  The votes are taken by the foreman of the grand jury.

3 minutes ago, Officer Al said:

When a grand jury votes, no one else is allowed in the room.  No prosecutors, police, etc.  Only members of the grand jury.  The votes are taken by the foreman of the grand jury.

So it is the responsibility of the foreperson to keep track of the votes.

The foreperson signs the document and then delivers it to someone representing the DA's office.

Since this was the acting foreperson who signed it, he/she may not have understood their responsibilities.

Bottom line is that I don't see how this can be blamed on the DA's office. 

Thanks for your input AL .

it can't be blamed on the DA, when they found out about the error on the Foreman's part they moved to have it dismissed. The DA's office did everything by the book.

Battisti is using his client as a political pawn, and in the process violated certain rules about the release of names that should not have been identified. Battisti needs to drop out for his gross mismanagement of this political stunt.

I hope charges are filed against him, if I were the foreman or witness I'd sue him for putting me in danger.

Benjamin Bergman hysterically chewing the scenery about this on Facebook is some laughable nonsense. Did he already forget that Tom Jackson just torpedoed a felony conviction against a child sex predator by mishandling paperwork - after he'd taken it all the way through trial without detecting the error, wasting spectacular amounts of time and money?

The case was already being retried because the last time around, under the previous District Attorney, the defendant had been mistakenly charged with a crime that didn't even exist when most of the events took place.

The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight failing victims by putting on entire bogus trials that never stood a chance, yet walking the halls wailing over a mistaken signature that did no harm? What a joke.

The D.A.'s office needs to be run by someone with experience, integrity and professionalism. Korchak is the obvious choice. You cannot have someone with Battisti's personal baggage be the leading prosecutorial executive in this county.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:57 AM, binghamtonian said:

it can't be blamed on the DA, when they found out about the error on the Foreman's part they moved to have it dismissed. The DA's office did everything by the book.

That is the exact opposite of how the previous, pre-Cornwell administration is spinning it. To hear them tell it, the DA himself reviewed every word of grand jury testimony and Korchak does not and should resign in disgrace. Only Sir Paul, with the approval of the Broome County Players, can save us.

According to them.

On Thursday evening I saw a new Battisti commercial.  It displays one of the documents but covers over the Acting foreperson's name and the name of the witness.  He and BJ know they screwed up.   He also deleted the word "acting" from the foreperson's title.

Battisti - Unfit for the office..

7 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Battisti - Unfit for the office..

I don't want to count chickens before they're hatched, but Battisti's circle seems to be getting upset and agitated. More and more I'm noticing people on Facebook, often with familiar surnames and friends, just outright brigading public posts about Korchak and hurling insults.