Dead deer on the side of the road

PeteMoss

Took a trip Sunday from Bingo to Dickson City in PA.  I saw between 10 and 20 dead deer on the side of 81 Southbound.  Coming home I counted 15 dead deer just on 81 Northbound side of the road. 

Some were fresh and some have been there for at least a few days.

Did PA and NYS stop picking them up from the side of the road or is something else going on?

One morning last week I saw somebody dressed in a work type uniform in PA shovel a deer to the side of the road. It appears they shovel them into the gullies. A few weeks ago,coming home from Middletown on 17 west, I saw a medium to large size dead bear on the side of the road. About three quarters of a mile further up was the dead baby cub, in the gully.

I'm seeing plenty of deer, as you said and plenty of other bizarre things...

Oh Pete, some of those deer have been there for weeks. A few of them are coyotes.. you can't tell now because they've been decomposing so long.

Edited by ginger
add comment

^ Last Saturday night about 1am...

I'm driving in my car, I turn on the radio...:) lol...I'm in Utica driving up Genesee St making my way to the thruway and I see something the size of a large cat hobbling across the road. My brain wants to convince me it's a possum but I know it isn't because possums waddle, they don't hobble. The thing stops in the middle of the street stands on its hind legs and has some kind of epileptic fit then continues on its way. I'm overcome by the feeling of revulsion rising from my gut.

I grew up in NYC. I never saw a rat or a mouse. Moved here...never saw a rat and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a mouse. Even though I only saw a silhouette of the aforementioned creature...OMG! If I ever saw one of those even near my property! 

"Yes Judge I discharged my weapon within the city limits" lol GUILTY!!!!

I'm kidding, of course I would have to call Orkin or Terminex or somebody. other bizarreness..a turkey commited suicide on my windshield. What kind of timing does a person have to have to be driving along at the speed limit to have a turkey swoop in from the passenger side at the exact moment to go splat on my windshield.  I saw it break its neck. The feathers were wet. I HAD GRAVY ON MY WINDSHIELD! It was so bizarre oncoming traffic and a vehicle pulling out from a side street stopped their tracks.

I saw 3 vultures commiserating on the side of the road... I was thinking...they really have purple feathers?!!!  

Looks like somebody cleaned up 81 N/S from Binghamton to Syracuse. Now if they would just fill a couple of those disc popping pot holes, in particular, the one before the 2-25 I think mile marker...that would be nice.

Gee Pete, how did your back feel after that PA run? :) I normally don't swear but a few of those "rough patches" are enough to make me blurt out an expletive or two. See...that's why they say "swear like a truck driver"...because of the pot holes! lol I never knew that until I started driving all over the place. At any minute you could crack a ball joint or crack your spine.

I kind of giggle when I see the troopers or sheriff vehicles sitting in the median. Up and down those highways all shift and I wonder if they always remember where the really bad potholes are :) "f*&# I forgot that was there"!  

I drove to Cincinnati, OH, and back in the middle of May.  On the way out, there were dead dear about every 5 miles.  On the way back it was dead woodchucks and porcupines.  Weird!

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 10:45 AM, ginger said:

^ Last Saturday night about 1am...

I'm driving in my car, I turn on the radio...:) lol...I'm in Utica driving up Genesee St making my way to the thruway and I see something the size of a large cat hobbling across the road. My brain wants to convince me it's a possum but I know it isn't because possums waddle, they don't hobble. The thing stops in the middle of the street stands on its hind legs and has some kind of epileptic fit then continues on its way. I'm overcome by the feeling of revulsion rising from my gut.

I grew up in NYC. I never saw a rat or a mouse. Moved here...never saw a rat and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a mouse. Even though I only saw a silhouette of the aforementioned creature...OMG! If I ever saw one of those even near my property! 

psst Mayor David, do me a favor...give the mayor of Utica a ring and let him know I saw 2 rats doing the hokey pokey in the middle of Genesee St this morning. They looked surprised to see me. HELLO I AM NOT THE PIED PIPER ! ugh! Seriously, they must have a serious infestation problem. Suppose I should look up the symptoms of bubonic plague... as if we don't have enough problems with vector transmissible diseases. They recently had nine cases of it in Los Angeles and 167 cases of typhus last year. 

Last night I also saw at least an 8 pointer on Old Vestal Road. It was big. :) Last week some buffalo escaped from a farm in Richmond Springs...Oh give me a home...

Haven't you all absorbed the real meaning behind the Trump tweets calling Congressman Cummings out for being in office for 30 years while residing over one of the most rat infested, garbage filled districts in Baltimore??? He is letting the world know he thinks the Democrats are stealing all the money instead of providing basic services...

like picking dead animals up from the highways.

If you don't see it yet, you will. Just look at New York Interstates. Where the F**K is all the money going Cuomo??? Where? What a disgrace. Potholes on an interstate highway in a Democrat state???

THEY ARE STEALING OUR MONEY AND LAUNDERING IT TO FRIENDS AND RELATIVES WHO MAGICALLY BECOME PRIVATE CONTRACTORS FOR A SPECIFIC TASK EVERY TIME A NEW STATE CONTRACT IS ABOUT TO BE AWARDED. THEY ARE GIVING INSIDER INFORMATION TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO STEAL OUR TAX PAYER MONEY. 

Think about it. Billions and billions funneled into every congressional district there is for decades but all those congressional districts are SHITHOLES.

Trump is the only one with balls enough to say so and they want to kill him. THINK!!!! 

psst 75, did you know some parts of the highway are the responsibility of various Indian Tribes?  I was recently reading Governor Cuomo etal has been complaining they aren't doing their parts of the highway. Specifically mentioned was the Seneca Nation but I don't think that one is too terrible.