Columbus Park

Jack McGurn

As a lifelong center city resident & current property owner,  I returned home the other day to  discover a "flyer" notification regarding a 2019 Juneteenth Celebration. Along with describing the typical fare of Free Food; Giveaways; Music; Basketball Tournament; etc... it notifies the reader that the event is to be held in ASSATA SHAKUR Park (formerly Columbus Park)?????? 

Now....did I miss something? Was the name of the park officially changed via Council legislation? Was there a Public Hearing or Comment Period? Or is this merely an attempt at feeling out the water so to speak?

I thought they were dedicating the park to King Rice?What the heck!? I don't have time to go looking to see who that STRANGER is. Off to work, have a good weekend everybody.

:) Hi Mom! I might swear during this post...don't look...

Columbus Park is a playground, a place where our children go to play and to dream. A place where at one time, a boy played basketball and dreamed...a place where everyone who played with him dreamed and then an entire community dreamed, hoped and cheered. If that playground is named anything it's the KING RICE PARK.

Somebody actually thought to name a playground after an URBAN TERRORIST from the 70's? A woman who has ZERO connections to Broome County? I want to know who is responsible for this. CONRAD TAYLOR WOULD YOU PLEASE STAND UP ALONG WITH MAYOR DAVID. WHO ELSE? 

BTW, if this is what city council was referring to when they signed that welcoming legislation I highly suggest you UNWELCOME the people who decided to rename that playground. In fact, I want that legislation changed immediately. Dani Cronse..."Oh we welcome everybody with open arms!" Great job city council!

Wow. I have to admit this unofficial “renaming” is more than curious. I understand not wanting it “Columbus” anymore, but yeesh. 

Google finds:

https://medium.com/@roderickdouglass/binghamton-park-renamed-due-to-columbus-legacy-of-slavery-child-sex-trafficking-juneteenth-f4f271fef9a9

the first mention of “Assata Shakur Park” is several paragraphs down.

Assata Shakur, much like Hurricane Carter, is a case of a violent criminal being deified by race trolls due to mistakes in how they were handled by the state. The government overstepping doesn't make the facts of their cases less clear.

"Roderick Douglass". Like I said, the PLOT losers. I suspect the real reason they don't publicize their identities is because it's mostly just that one unbalanced clown pretending he's got a substantial organization going and hoping he can turn it into a living.

I'm assuming he thinks he's being an unusually clever and sophisticated race troll by substituting one evil with another and daring people to explain the difference, but as usual, he's just spouting nonsense trying to hijack an issue and make it about black victimhood. Columbus never had a "company" that "switched to trading Africans". He was the Spanish governor in the Caribbean, and two years after he was arrested and stripped of his title, Spain began allowing small numbers of African slaves already held in Spain to be transported to their colonies, but it took decades to scale up. The early African slave trade itself was run almost entirely by Portugal.

Thank you WolfMan for the info.  Alas, it is as I presumed: The 'ol run it up the flag pole to see how it flies.

The genisis of the entire Columbus School/ Columbus Park scenario is that the 20th century center city 7th & 10th wards were composed for the most part of Italian-American families & businesses...much like the northside of Endicott. It made sense. It was at the time a reasonable and honorable attempt to celebrate our rich Italian heritage in our predominately Italian neighborhood..

This was obviously prior to today's accepted new "discovery" that Columbus was probably not the man we were led to believe he was. And in the main, the counties, cities, and communities across the nation have reacted by cancelling Columbus themed events, renaming, and in the extreme as here in Binghamton, desecrating & damaging public displays of the man. 

We Italian Americans are now asked to step back on the one day in the year that we are given to symbolically celebrate our rich heritage. We are a proud people with a noble & worthy culture to back it up.....but we will undoubtedly be made to step back on this issue. We will adjust & we will survive. Here locally however, what we Italians.......or the community at large....should never have to accept is seeing this as an opportunity by a few misguided individuals with an agenda to name a park after a convicted murderer.....that which they claim Columbus to have been over five centuries ago. 

• 1 year later...

I saw the video... Mr Solak tore down the Assata Shakur Park signs they taped up. I would have thrown them on the ground and spit on them.

In fact I woke up at 11 am and procrastinated too long to go down there myself. Get it through your ego inflated brains, THAT PARK IS DEDICATED TO KING RICE. And I don't want to hear, oh it's just the basketball courts. I also think they should dedicate the East Middle school gym to Bobby Gonzalez. 

http://binghamton-ny.gov/mayor-david-announces-upgraded-%E2%80%98king-rice-courts%E2%80%99-columbus-park

Ginger, please be careful.

Those PLOT people, along with ANTIFA, etc, are sneaky dangerous.

You don’t need to be hit in the head with a brick.

Or, have them do what they did to Emily Jablon and her mother. (Which I guess can’t hit the news until sometime in Aug, due to legalities?)

AssHat Shakur murdered a Police Officer and then escaped to Cuba.  There used to be a forum dedicated to her until some anons wrecked it a few years ago.  Just looked and it’s still down.  

Not exactly a role model to name a park after.  

Toup, they think their efforts are intellectually sophisticated. I'm not impressed. Somebody should tell them their values are showing. Don't quote me on this, but I'm guessing the people who live and pay property taxes in the City of Binghamton do not value bank robbing cop killing murderers. If so, lets just name the park after the two guys who stabbed a pregnant mother and her boyfriend then set their house on fire and left them to die. At least we'd have a local connection.

Of course it's certainly not my intention to be targeted by any group. I feel badly for their children and would never even THINK about subjecting a child to such disgusting politicking in the manner these people have engaged their families. And yet...another $650,000 tax payer dollars are being spent...where is the money coming from? WHAT PART OF... WE'RE ALREADY TAXED TO DEATH DON'T YOU GET?

https://wbng.com/2020/06/25/binghamton-commits-650000-to-community-programs-police-training-more/

On 7/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, ginger said:

I saw the video... Mr Solak tore down the Assata Shakur Park signs they taped up. I would have thrown them on the ground and spit on them.

In fact I woke up at 11 am and procrastinated too long to go down there myself. Get it through your ego inflated brains, THAT PARK IS DEDICATED TO KING RICE. And I don't want to hear, oh it's just the basketball courts. I also think they should dedicate the East Middle school gym to Bobby Gonzalez. 

http://binghamton-ny.gov/mayor-david-announces-upgraded-%E2%80%98king-rice-courts%E2%80%99-columbus-park

I agree, Ginger. King has come a long way. I remember pick up games in Columbus Park in the 80’s. King runs a clean program at Monmouth. He should have gotten the BU job. 

I would have loved to seen him come to BU as well but you know the saying.. a man can't be a hero in his own home town. I remember when he played for St Mary's. My brother ate dinner at his grandmother's a couple of times. I can't recall if he ever ate with us but my brother and I always had friends for dinner. I can't ever recall a time my parents ever said no to friends we brought home.

And that is really the crux of the situation...these Assata Shakur fans have no idea what we've shared as a community. They're clueless, and have zero respect for anyone that came before them.

• 10 months later...

I see the pot smoking, cop killer venerating parents who will be begging for 6,000 turkeys come Thanksgiving are on the loose again. Nevermind the police run Toys for Tots at Christmas as well. Screw this. Stop being so nice to people who want to kill you. And Mayor David wants to build a community center...NOT ONE PENNY.

1 hour ago, ginger said:

I see the pot smoking, cop killer venerating parents who will be begging for 6,000 turkeys come Thanksgiving are on the loose again. Nevermind the police run Toys for Tots at Christmas as well. Screw this. Stop being so nice to people who want to kill you. And Mayor David wants to build a community center...NOT ONE PENNY.

What a terrible thing to say. I know good families who have needed help at thanksgiving and signed up for Toys for Tots for Christmas.

^^^Read much? "pot smoking cop killer venerating parents"...

When I moved here toys for tots wasn't a thing. I seem to recall Christmas parties, I think at the Binghamton Club where my brother and I were expected to bring gifts to donate. We bought them out of our "Christmas Club" money. I also recall getting a gift, and of course donating it back. 

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Ginger is a racist and her comments are very hateful.

What's the problem? I'm suggesting the police prioritize "good families" over the Assata Shakur contingent. There is a way to do that you know. At Christmas you go to Walmart and pick up the layaway tab for your coworker or neighbor who you know is struggling. I'm suggesting Mayor David withhold taxpayer dollars for a community center that will be used to breed racism and hatred. You think the pot smoking people yelling Black Lives Matter outside of the police station deserve their own taxpayer funded clubhouse? That just sounds like trouble to me.

I'm guessing you don't even live in the City of Binghamton. Take a drive down Clinton Street lately? I have not but I heard Bob Joseph describe graffitti reminiscent of the Bronx in the 90's.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Ginger is a racist and her comments are very hateful.

BTW how can YOU possibly expect the nice people who live here and our law enforcement officers to suffer a park named after a bank robbing cop killer? It can not exist. Perhaps the park should be bulldozed and paved over.