New guy on WBNG News

Bill

1 hour ago, Bill said:

The new anchor on WBNG has been around for a few weeks now . In my opinion he hasn't improved the news broadcasts yet. Any others have an opinion?

His job is to connect with the older viewers.  The people on there now look like they are all under 30.

I always wonder who's kids are these? Are they from our community? Are we giving our own kids those jobs first? I don't recall which local station but I thought I recognized a couple of last names,

13 minutes ago, ginger said:

I always wonder who's kids are these? Are they from our community? Are we giving our own kids those jobs first? I don't recall which local station but I thought I recognized a couple of last names,

One of the recent sports guys was from U-E, and one of the young gals was somewhat local too. That was about it. Their bios are on the WBNG site and all include hometown, college etc. Some have been non-local but went to a nearby college. 

16 minutes ago, ginger said:

Plus you’d be surprised how many of the recent spate of youngin’s were like in their 3rd or 4th gig at WBNG.

10 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

His job is to connect with the older viewers.  The people on there now look like they are all under 30.

Exactly! My 78-year old Mother called me the other day and couldn’t stop raving about the guy. I tuned in for the first time in forever and was actually impressed. Very professional. Could easily be working in a larger market. Great hire by Caitlin (I’m assuming it was him). I miss the days of these guys:

8 minutes ago, 27 Time World Champions said:

Exactly! My 78-year old Mother called me the other day and couldn’t stop raving about the guy. I tuned in for the first time in forever and was actually impressed. Very professional. Could easily be working in a larger market. Great hire by Caitlin (I’m assuming it was him). I miss the days of these guys:

Greg Catlin has been gone from 12 for years. He's the GM at WSKG. The ownership of BNG uses that station as the equivalent of newspapers used to house train a dog. They hire young talent from Syracuse or Oswego or now even nationally and send them here to cut their teeth.

his last gig was CBS12 West Palm Beach FL., probably a market that is "slightly" larger then Binghamton... previous to that he left another decent market (Springfield MA??) he has had so me issues with alcohol of which he admitted. It is unusual for an older person to come work at Binghamton.

That being said, he speaks very well, likes to talk and does it smoothly. And the girls just love him..  At first I thought he was a clown but after watching for a while it is nice to see someone speak well without stupid flubs...

Welcome to Binghamton Paul

7 hours ago, a taxpayer said:

his last gig was CBS12 West Palm Beach FL., probably a market that is "slightly" larger then Binghamton... previous to that he left another decent market (Springfield MA??) he has had so me issues with alcohol of which he admitted. It is unusual for an older person to come work at Binghamton.

That being said, he speaks very well, likes to talk and does it smoothly. And the girls just love him..  At first I thought he was a clown but after watching for a while it is nice to see someone speak well without stupid flubs...

Welcome to Binghamton Paul

"Slightly"?

West Palm Beach is media market #37... Binghamton is #160.

8 hours ago, 27 Time World Champions said:

And I just found out both Jim Matthews and Bob Buchanan are Dead 😳

Don't be silly, 27. Why I just found out that Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!

I do miss Bob. Maybe I just miss being younger. Binghamton has had some great broadcast talent. Some has stayed some has moved on. My husband says there are a number of fellows on ESPN that have passed through here. This new gentleman on 12 is very good and the gals with him are adorable and very talented.

I think he's great, so far.

I think I first heard him about a week and a half ago?

TV was on, but I was in another room, and when I heard him talking, I had to run in to see who the heck it was, because you just never hear that...someone speaking so eloquently and w/out stumbling over their words.

I thought at first the girls were pissy, because they were finagling to run the show.

10 hours ago, 2pelo Honey said:

I think he's great, so far.

I thought at first the girls were pissy, because they were finagling to run the show.

I think he is doing fine. But I do agree that the first week or so the two girls were giving him death looks, talking over him and overall not happy he was there. Either they've come to like and respect him or someone in management had a serious chat with them about their jobs.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:59 PM, ThelmaHarper said:

I think he is doing fine. But I do agree that the first week or so the two girls were giving him death looks, talking over him and overall not happy he was there. Either they've come to like and respect him or someone in management had a serious chat with them about their jobs.

I think once the girls found out he wasn’t a Ron Burgundy they began to fall in line. He’s doing great.