Produce stand recommendations

Wilfrid Laurier

I haven't seen the one on Robinson opened yet...I'm out way too early. I haven't been to Russells yet either. I have yet to visit FROG POND. The one time I tried to find it my navigator took me...someplace else. My boss keeps telling me to get a Garmin. I see all kinds of other yummy stuff like dinners and festivals. I wish somebody would do a lobster bake. I think some organization did last year but I couldn't go. I'll keep my eye out.

What about the Farmers Market on Front St? How are they making out?

Haven't noticed Puzo's open yet at Broad/Robinson, but they usually run out and are closed before I'd get over there at 5-ish.

I also like Russell's on Old Vestal Rd.

Frog Pond is a good bet, and probably a bit cheaper than the two aforementioned...nice trip out to Bainbridge on a Sat morning.

There is also one on Pierce Creek Rd I haven't gotten to yet, but have heard good things about.

FYI, Ginger, Frog Pond is on Route 7 between Afton and Bainbridge...almost to Bainbridge. It's on the left side.

There's an airshow at the Cortland airport this weekend, the sign didn't say what time. And St Cyrils is this weekend as well...of course I'll be out of town..e v e r y y e a r , lol, I'll be looking for left over chicken and halupki. They had zero leftovers last year. I bet they'll be packed. It's supposed to be 100 degrees out and who wants to cook? I hope they all have fun and stay cool. :)

post edit... I think I heard Bob Joseph will be broadcasting from 11-1. that should be fun too:)

Edited by ginger
add comment

:) I came home a bit ago from visiting my daughter in her new "apartment" out on Long Island and away from that 3.5 % NYC income tax.  Anyway, the "girls" pull in right behind me and they wanted to bbq but I sent them to St Cyrils instead. They said it was packed and everybody was having great time. The chicken dinner and halupki were perfect. Really good coleslaw! They said Mayor Bucci was there but it may have been Mayor David. They don't live in Binghamton.  Speaking of...I saw Mayor Davids picture in the press with President Trump. I don't think I've ever seen the president with a more genuine smile. Mayor David must have made a good impression.  I hope you are all beating the heat. There is an ambulance down the corner. Somebody fainted. Don't go out unless you have to or you are really well hydrated! Have a good week!:)

15 hours ago, ginger said:

:) I came home a bit ago from visiting my daughter in her new "apartment" out on Long Island and away from that 3.5 % NYC income tax.  Anyway, the "girls" pull in right behind me and they wanted to bbq but I sent them to St Cyrils instead. They said it was packed and everybody was having great time. The chicken dinner and halupki were perfect. Really good coleslaw! They said Mayor Bucci was there but it may have been Mayor David. They don't live in Binghamton.  Speaking of...I saw Mayor Davids picture in the press with President Trump. I don't think I've ever seen the president with a more genuine smile. Mayor David must have made a good impression.  I hope you are all beating the heat. There is an ambulance down the corner. Somebody fainted. Don't go out unless you have to or you are really well hydrated! Have a good week!:)

Rich David was walking around with Chris Pappastrat.

• 4 weeks later...

Robinson st is back up. For $11.00 I bought one lg plum 2 lg tomatos, 2 sm cukes, 1 pint blueberries. So, I couldn't wait to get home and slice up that plum to have with a wedge of this Cowgirl  Creamery brie I picked up at Wholefoods. The plum isn't ripe. I know it looks it, even when I cut into it I thought it was..and the blueberries are not sweet. I wanted to use those tomatoes today too but I think I'm going to put them in the window for a couple of days. I might go to Vestal later and see what they have. 

Has anybody seen/had any decent melon?

BTW, does anybody know anything about the meat tent sale at Macys parking lot? WNBF was advertising 20 rib eye steaks for $25.00. I was thinking well even if they aren't great I'd use them for stew beef.

Also CVS will be getting rid of plastic bags too. I decided to give up on carrying a pocketbook/purse and just carry a tote.  

^ Thanks :) I think I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow...wow is it hot out there. The weather channel says 83 degrees, I just went out on the deck for a little sun and that's what I got..couldn't last more than 15-20 minutes. No breeze at all.

On 8/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, 2pelo Honey said:

I got a bunch of beautiful beefsteak tomatoes at Robby's on Old Vestal Rd, between Pete's and T.A.B.

They had big melons there that people had posted on their FB page were great.

Oh, and I think I paid 2.99# before at Russell's, while the ones at Robby's were 2.49#.

Thanks Toup, I hit both Robbies and Russells...I paid $3.79 at Robbies for the melon but it looks like I could have had the same for a quarter cheaper at Russells. The melon was perfect. Both places were hopping yesterday.

I finally broke down and purchased 3 bales of straw at $5.00 apiece. Every year I say I'm doing a fall display. So, I was looking at other people's ideas and I came across a couple of articles for planting in straw bales. For 12 days you treat with fertilizer, water, then at the end add phosphorous and potassium. This aids in converting the straw into compost then as the plants grow you cover/ build up with regular garden soil.  I just can't dig anymore but transplanting seedlings into this medium sounds like a back saver to me. I read it's great for potatoes.

I haven't been to Lone Maple in a while. The last time I was there they were doing a wine tasting but I was driving so that was out. They used to make the most awesome soft molasses cookies. 

4 hours ago, ginger said:

Thanks Toup, I hit both Robbies and Russells...I paid $3.79 at Robbies for the melon but it looks like I could have had the same for a quarter cheaper at Russells. The melon was perfect. Both places were hopping yesterday.

I finally broke down and purchased 3 bales of straw at $5.00 apiece. Every year I say I'm doing a fall display. So, I was looking at other people's ideas and I came across a couple of articles for planting in straw bales. For 12 days you treat with fertilizer, water, then at the end add phosphorous and potassium. This aids in converting the straw into compost then as the plants grow you cover/ build up with regular garden soil.  I just can't dig anymore but transplanting seedlings into this medium sounds like a back saver to me. I read it's great for potatoes.

Thanks for the idea! We bought stainless steel horse troughs for raised bed gardens at Tractor Supply (3x3x8)...gonna try it out in one of them!!

I love that idea with the horse troughs. I just checked out the google images. I have an old cedar chest that I keep saying I'm going to drag out of the cellar and repurpose as a planter. I don't know if my neighbors will think it looks stupid. In fact, I don't know if I think it'll look stupid then I'll have to do something with it if I drag it out. :)lol