Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Take out the trash

Another death in Broome county Jail

Recommended Posts

Yes, another one asking for medical attention and denied.  Like to hear Dave's story on this one!!  Why are we not hearing anything from the Jail Administrator on any of these past 11 deaths??  Oh wait............ he is never there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Written by a friend who shared this with me. 
it’s spot on.

 

 

Unnatural Causes

We have done or best to piece this together from multiple accounts of people currently incarcerated, an employee at the jail, an EMS worker, and a friend of the family's.

A Broome County man was recently hospitalized due to a severe illness. Because he was in the hospital, he was unable to contact his Broome County Probation Officer to inform them that he was hospitalized and therefore, could not make it to his probation appointment. His probation officer violated him for not showing up for his appointment. When he was released from the hospital, he showed his probation officer his discharge papers from the hospital proving that he was incapable of coming to his probation appointment. Despite his having proof, his probation officer still violated him and he was sent to jail for the violation on October 16th.

His story is much like Rob Card’s story. We hope you remember Rob Card. Rob was sent to jail for a probation/drug court violation for being late for a drug screen. Rob had a brain tumor and was under the care of a doctor when he was sent to jail. Despite having a serious medical condition and needing medications to survive, and despite the jail knowing this, they did not provide medical care, nor did they provide his necessary medications. Thirteen days (see #13days) after Rob was sent to jail for a probation violation, he was dead due to severe medical neglect at the jail.

This gentleman is similar. He had a medical condition and was on medications he needed to survive. Despite having a valid reason for not making it to his probation appointment, he was violated and sent to jail where he was not provided medical care for his condition, nor was he provided the medications he needed to survive. While incarcerated, he became sicker and sicker and was asking for medical care, which was denied.

November 5, just 20 days after he was placed in custody, the final day of his life, he was not feeling well at lunch time and asked to go to the medical unit. People incarcerated with him reported he was bluish in skin tone. And yet, he was denied medical care. Later that day, all the people in his pod were put on lock-down. We’ve heard that the lock down was due to his begging for help! He was seriously ill and begging to get medical care, despite this, he was sent to his cell without medical care or regard for his life. While in his cell, he became very sick. He was vomiting and had diarrhea and was becoming increasingly and rapidly ill. His cellmate called to the guards for help - and no help was provided. He became sicker and was passing blood, and his cellmate began pounding on his cell door begging someone to come to provide medical care - and no one came. Other people in the pod, in their own cells could hear both the violently ill man, and his cellmate pounding on his cell door begging for help. Many are reporting this went on for hours. Despite other people hearing this - no help was sent. The guards ignored the pleas for help.

The gentleman had a seizure while in the bathroom being violently ill and collapsed to the floor, even hitting his head.

His cellmate screamed for help, yelling to the guards that his cellmate was down. Finally, around 2:30AM the guards came. Finally the medical staff came. Finally a gurney came to take him to the hospital. But, it was all too late. He was gone.

What happened next? The jail staff actually had the gall to investigate if his cellmate could be charged for his death! This despite everyone knowing he had asked for medical help even before they were sent to his cell. This despite the fact that his cellmate was pounding on his cell door for hours begging for help and many other inmates heard this.

Nothing about this death was natural.

The Sheriff is hungry to hold someone accountable so that he cannot be held accountable, but he IS. This man should not have died like this, disrespected and disregarded. Sheriff Harder and the Correctional Officers who chose to ignore this man need to be brought to justice. The probation officer who chose to violate him when he had a perfectly valid reason for missing his appointment needs to be held accountable.

Our county is killing people. Our jail is wildly unnatural in their treatment of human beings they are required to care for by law. Our jail has become a death chamber.

Only our community can stop these injustices from continuing. We need our community to rise up and say, this is not acceptable. We reject any claims that call such barbaric treatment of human beings “natural.”

Some will ask what his original charges were. This is all we could find so far:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave will just visit another old folks homes, eat their food for free, fall asleep and everyone will say what a great guy he is and people should stop picking on him.

How embarrassing is it that we have a Sheriff that probably wears Depends undergarments under his uniform and can’t put a coherent sentence together?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wilfrid Laurier said:

Dave will just visit another old folks homes, eat their food for free, fall asleep and everyone will say what a great guy he is and people should stop picking on him.

How embarrassing is it that we have a Sheriff that probably wears Depends undergarments under his uniform and can’t put a coherent sentence together?

 

OMG this is spot on!!!  And getting his free commissary goodies every week for free!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheriff Dave Harder, Broome County Republican establishment moron, is on record advocating for using the Broome County Jail as a revenue generating entity. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAVID E. HARDER,  SHERIFF

He is our elected official that is responsible for the jail.   Hold him accountable for COMMUNICATION from our jail.  He needs to do a press conference.   Why is he silent?   The disruption at the Battle of the Bands / Columbus Day Parade was loud and clear.   Broome County residents deserve answers.   Maybe if Sheriff Harder wasn't so busy campaigning for his buddy Battisti he would be attending to his job.  His silence is deafening.   This has such bad optics.   Is he deaf, dumb, and and blind?     

Even if an inmate died of "natural causes" and no foul play is suspected,  Broome County deserves to hear from the head of the jail.......some news.   If someone died at SUNY Broome, or any other county government office, I'm sure they would have an announcement.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m the furthest thing from a Truth Pharm or PLOT supporter or sympathizer, but the old man at the jail is so bad, he’s actually proving them right. 

The previous poster makes a good point. The sheriff had enough time and energy to campaign all year for Paul Battisti. Maybe he should focus on his own job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hank Mitchell said:

Harder needs to be the next one kicked to the curb but its gonna take someone a hell of a lot better than Matt Ryan to make it happen. 

This is the problem with the Sheriff election every time. No one worth a shit wants to run.  I really can't blame them, look how screwed up the entire Sheriff's Department is and is in dire need of a good overhaul!  Would you want to run for Sheriff? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hank Mitchell said:

Harder needs to be the next one kicked to the curb but its gonna take someone a hell of a lot better than Matt Ryan to make it happen. 

If someone would make a photo of the senile old man sleeping during a meeting public it would make one hell of a political ad. It isn't hard to get one. Last time I saw him he had lost a lot of pep in his step. He is just holding on to pay his adult kids bills because they are as worthless as he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 19April1775 said:

If someone would make a photo of the senile old man sleeping during a meeting public it would make one hell of a political ad. It isn't hard to get one. Last time I saw him he had lost a lot of pep in his step. He is just holding on to pay his adult kids bills because they are as worthless as he is. 

I would like to see a picture of this too.  Pep in his step was gone years ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a real picture of Harder asleep at a meeting, posted here a couple years ago. Does anyone have it? 

Speaking of paying his kids and family, I see his granddaughter was recently hired to follow the recruits at the police academy, to produce the video shown at graduation. This is probably about 50 hours work. I wonder how much she was paid and who approved this expenditure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Officer Al said:

There was a real picture of Harder asleep at a meeting, posted here a couple years ago. Does anyone have it? 

Speaking of paying his kids and family, I see his granddaughter was recently hired to follow the recruits at the police academy, to produce the video shown at graduation. This is probably about 50 hours work. I wonder how much she was paid and who approved this expenditure. 

If this is true, it puts the nail in the coffin that Dave Harder is a corrupt scumbag. How many other kids missed out on this opportunity because they weren't "connected"? And remember Sammy Davis is in charge of the police academy. If he runs for sheriff he should be asked if this was ethical or not. Be careful, he will divert by calling you a racist. What a bunch of scumbags they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Officer Al said:

There was a real picture of Harder asleep at a meeting, posted here a couple years ago. Does anyone have it? 

Speaking of paying his kids and family, I see his granddaughter was recently hired to follow the recruits at the police academy, to produce the video shown at graduation. This is probably about 50 hours work. I wonder how much she was paid and who approved this expenditure. 

I bet this is true.  Back years ago he had his grandson working at the Sheriff's Department doing odd clerical filing jobs.  Did nothing but sleep in Harder's office and got paid for it.  Same thing with Major Smolinsky's of the Jail, kid working there also in the past.  Basically getting paid for doing nothing.  Oh well like they say, "Like Father Like Son".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for many of the men and women who truly keep us all safe who are looked down upon because of this administration.  Hopefully someone will step up and push there way in to start making things happen or there is no chance any successor will come from within the office.  From an outsider's perspective it would be very troubling to be in a similar situation as the DAs race where we are asked to vote for candidates who have no experience because the talent within the department is simply not an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CheckMate said:

I feel bad for many of the men and women who truly keep us all safe who are looked down upon because of this administration.  Hopefully someone will step up and push there way in to start making things happen or there is no chance any successor will come from within the office.  From an outsider's perspective it would be very troubling to be in a similar situation as the DAs race where we are asked to vote for candidates who have no experience because the talent within the department is simply not an option.

More gaslighting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CheckMate said:

I feel bad for many of the men and women who truly keep us all safe who are looked down upon because of this administration.  Hopefully someone will step up and push there way in to start making things happen or there is no chance any successor will come from within the office.  From an outsider's perspective it would be very troubling to be in a similar situation as the DAs race where we are asked to vote for candidates who have no experience because the talent within the department is simply not an option.

Well when you got Harder telling the Correction Staff he does not like them and people on the outside hear this also from him, they too have a negative outlook on the staff.  The Correction Officer's do the best they can even with all the idiot supervisor's and administration that are a cancerous cyst they have to deal with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wilfrid Laurier said:

Yep

E7E08544-A918-4446-B7A6-8DB342BD605A.jpeg

 

When a Sheriff only sees the Jail as a revenue generating machine, humans become nothing but numbers to his or her machine. It is all about packing it full to make money. Now I am not naive that there are some really big scumbags locked up in there. I fully support that. The problem I have is we are getting billed for a big part of the Jail population that have done some very petty things and couldn't make bail etc., etc. It is total bullsh*t in a County like ours where property taxes are constantly going up with only a little bone thrown at us every few years.

Dave Harder is a yes man to a very corrupt system that only believes in growing government.

Republican my ass.

He would vote for Pelosi if the system told him to.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 19April1775 said:

 

When a Sheriff only sees the Jail as a revenue generating machine, humans become nothing but numbers to his or her machine. It is all about packing it full to make money. Now I am not naive that there are some really big scumbags locked up in there. I fully support that. The problem I have is we are getting billed for a big part of the Jail population that have done some very petty things and couldn't make bail etc., etc. It is total bullsh*t in a County like ours where property taxes are constantly going up with only a little bone thrown at us every few years.

Dave Harder is a yes man to a very corrupt system that only believes in growing government.

Republican my ass.

He would vote for Pelosi if the system told him to.

 

 

You couldn't be more right!!!  Capacity of any jail is considered at 80% not 110%!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could swear I heard Sheriff Harder say on WNBF he wasn't running again.

On another note did you see I think, Madison County is refusing to comply with the bail reform? I'm looking for the article...some bureaucratic reason...they aren't set up to do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×