WBNG NEWS

Gordon Hoyt

4 hours ago, Gordon Hoyt said:

I have watch WBNG News ever since I was a kid.  Sitting in the living room with my parents watching the news.  I no longer can take watching WBNG News!!  Where do there find some of these people!?  This Paul Mueller, just gives me the creeps.  Time to start watching news channel 34.

Unfortunately the standards for journalism have declined rapidly in the last couple of decades.  It's all about getting the "story" out first (no vetting) and catering to a partisan audience that only wants to hear whatever supports their  preconceived notions (both camps). The dumbing down of America.

11 hours ago, M_Sable said:

Unfortunately the standards for journalism have declined rapidly in the last couple of decades.

That's for sure - we live in an age where a 'news' organization shelves a pedophile story because, if aired, it may hamper their chance to interview a celebrity? Are you kidding me?

John Solak is the closest we get to journalism around here.

M_Sable has said it perfectly.

Today's so called "journalists" have degenerated into advocates of their personal beliefs. Salespeople. Most Main Stream media investigative reporting now exists only as a means to reach a desired predetermined end. Vetting and fact finding have been rendered to option status and many times the facts present an impediment that is either ignored or distorted to reach the desired outcome. Tragically, in most cases the reporter's personal philosophical/ political position is precisely why he or she has been hired in the first place for that particular media outlet.

And, this overall lack of pure journalistic savvy has infected every level. It truly is as Sable writes, a glaring symptom of the "dumbing down of America". The failure and indictment of the American education system.

Small case in point: A recent Press & local media story covered the construction of a brand new stand alone classroom built I believe on the Chenango Valley High school campus overlooking a beautiful scene of nature. I presume that in an attempt to disarm any critics who might or could perceive it as frivolous spending in this already taxed to death Valley, the principal or District spokesperson tells the reporter that it's construction cost the taxpayers nothing as it would come out of the Capital Fund?

Obvious follow up questions: What is the source of the Capital Fund? Costs to maintain? Could it actually pose a distraction to attentive learning? Necessary?

Not.

There was another thread a few months ago on the new guy. He’s doing his job well and people are talking about him. Howard is a genuinely good guy and has calmed down since his epic, “Everybody go to your basements! We’re all going to die!” rant a few years ago. 

This was the Dream Team though. Never got better than this:

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:48 PM, BaldEagle said:

I completely disagree.  Mueller is a seasoned pro’s pro  who I am shocked came here.  Add him to the dark haired cuties, the local, genuine weather guy, and you have the strongest team we’ve had here in years.  I’m not kidding, I think you guys are way, way off on this one.

I agree.

First time I heard him talk,  I ran back from the kitchen to see who was talking so professionally!

And, I've always liked Howard.

20 hours ago, ThelmaHarper said:

Paul is great when he sticks to reading from the teleprompter. When he tries to be folksy and friendly it comes across as insincere and forced. Maybe a little goofy. But he has a great voice and professional delivery and I wish him the best. Chloe is very talented and could be a model.

Agree. As I said read the news and move on.

The local news takes orders from on high if they get too far out of line. No doubt about that. There have been Congressional hearings proving it. Most of us here have been lied to since we were a child. Never forget that whenever you watch or read corporate media. Warnings came a long time ago. Hard pill to swallow? Suck it up. Be an individual for once. Why do you think they are freaking out about Trump? Do you think he calls them the enemy of the people for no reason? This is why he does.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:24 AM, ThelmaHarper said:

Paul is great when he sticks to reading from the teleprompter. When he tries to be folksy and friendly it comes across as insincere and forced. Maybe a little goofy. But he has a great voice and professional delivery and I wish him the best. Chloe is very talented and could be a model.

Ann Sparacco is way better looking than Chloe.

14 hours ago, Gordon Hoyt said:

LMAO, you are right!!!!!

Sarcasm is the spice of life but for once I actually believe this to be true Gordon. I've never seen such ineptitude.I understand Binghamton is a market where people start out but its flat out embarrassing how bad they are at their jobs. 

Also, how does someone like Kathy White have a job? Has she ever successfully read the news properly without stuttering or stammering? 

5 hours ago, Mr. Met said:

Also, how does someone like Kathy White have a job? Has she ever successfully read the news properly without stuttering or stammering? 

Kathy Whyte is terrible.  You are right, she stutters and stammers all the time.

Somewhere I have a recording of her announcing that Trump won the election.  I thought she was going to cry.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 1:58 PM, PeteMoss said:

Kathy Whyte is terrible.  You are right, she stutters and stammers all the time.

She truly makes the news updates unlistenable. Even the newsreaders in podunk towns can actually READ the news both fluidly and fluently. Occasional goofs I get but this sounds like a middle school production.