WHAT'S COOKIN'?

ginger

Apple crumb pie done, I accidentally bought... UGH, instant chocolate pudding so I have to go back out. The turkey is still frozen solid so I had to throw it in a cooler with water to defrost. Starting peeling.

Oops sorry, I thought that^ was Witchiepoo stirring a cauldron. :)

Good Morning everyone and Happy Thanksgiving. I'm always so grateful for all of our camaraderie and thankful Garo acts as the custodian and guardian of the first amendment for us.

If you did not put your turkey in yet listen up! According to USA Today the CDC now recommends AGAINST washing raw poultry because it does not prevent illness and can spread bacteria throughout the kitchen. I actually heard that on the radio yesterday as well. I looked at the butterball directions and it says drain the juice, remove the neck and giblets and pat the skin dry with a clean paper towel.

Over the years, I've cooked my fair share of turkeys. I always sanitize my sink,  wash the turkey in the sink and then sanitize afterward. Nobody in our family has ever had food poisoning from anything we've cooked.

So I place the turkey in the sink and start cleaning out the main cavity and guess what...I pulled out a 5-6 inch long worm. NEVER, until this year have I ever found anything like that. 

I'm thinking I'm going to go out and purchase a fresh turkey but I don't know if I can get past the ick factor today.

Can you imagine if I didn't rinse the cavity and just stuffed it?

Oh well, I hope I didn't spoil anyone"s dinner....:(

Can you imagine if I stuffed the turkey then found that worm in my chestnut stuffing after cooking it for 5 hours? 

I suppose...sigh...back on the road to find an alternative...

:) I got over it and went to Wegmans...we're back in business.

Is it me or is the Macy's parade totally lame this year? BTW no habla espanol...and why is it still on? 

^ I clicked on that picture again...what I didn't notice is their worm was found in a ButterBall as well. I think it was placed there on purpose but then again, when I opened the turkey I saw a dark purple ,almost black area on one of the drum sticks. I automatically thought they butchered it wrong. Could be the worm migrated from the muscle to the cavity during the freezing process but another unusual thing I found was the giblets are usually well within the cavity. In this turkey the pack was right at the opening. How inspectors could miss something so large doesn't seem possible. 

Don't wash the turkey...harrumph...I told my daughter from now on you wash and inspect every inch of that thing like you were taught.   

Yesterday I went back to the grocery store for a refund. The clerk told me several people had preceded me with the same complaint. They refunded the cost of the turkey in cash.

lol:) Somehow I missed that movie. Trading Places is on IFC Wed. at 9pm. I'm surprised the millennials haven't banned it. Last year they tried to say Rudolf was racist.

In keeping with the food theme...LOOK AT THAT ESCARGOT! Have an awesome afternoon everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3TN2rEckQ&t=1s

BTW, I was at Maines yesterday to get a can of crushed tomatoes. If you are planning to make ahead halupki for Christmas they have some nice large cabbages, $.39 cents a pound. I usually get them at Russells but I kept putting it off. I put it off yesterday too and now I'm kicking myself because I have the time right now but alas...I'm not in the mood to venture out if I don't have to.

I just remembered this post. Maybe I should have seen this coming...if a turkey had that huge parasite crawling around in it....I think the government, cdc, fda and epa ought to consolidate efforts and investigate the situation.

Of course I'm telling my turkey story to everyone. I ran into one woman who said the cavity of her turkey did not have worms but some other parasite. So when I got up this morning I googled ButterBall Sabotage...this is what I found, make of it what you will.

https://humanevents.com/2011/11/29/america-gives-butterball-the-bird-over-halal-turkey-coverup/

On 11/29/2019 at 9:53 AM, ginger said:

^ I clicked on that picture again...what I didn't notice is their worm was found in a ButterBall as well. I think it was placed there on purpose but then again, when I opened the turkey I saw a dark purple ,almost black area on one of the drum sticks. I automatically thought they butchered it wrong. Could be the worm migrated from the muscle to the cavity during the freezing process but another unusual thing I found was the giblets are usually well within the cavity. In this turkey the pack was right at the opening. How inspectors could miss something so large doesn't seem possible. 

Don't wash the turkey...harrumph...I told my daughter from now on you wash and inspect every inch of that thing like you were taught.   

^ I AUTOMATICALLY THOUGHT THEY BUTCHERED IT WRONG

I made some nice turkey soup with the Thanksgiving leftovers.  I also had a craving for a boiled dinner, so I made that too!

This week will be stuffed pork chops and crockpot chicken in a mushroom sauce.

16 hours ago, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

I made some nice turkey soup with the Thanksgiving leftovers.  I also had a craving for a boiled dinner, so I made that too!

This week will be stuffed pork chops and crockpot chicken in a mushroom sauce.

Crockpot Chicken sounds good!  Hmmmmm....(recipe?) :)

We just got 15 lbs of Pork Sausage from a local guy we know who raises oinkers....looks and smells great, butchered yesterday, at $3.50 a lb.  I think that's an OK price.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:07 AM, M_Sable said:

Crockpot Chicken sounds good!  Hmmmmm....(recipe?) :)

We just got 15 lbs of Pork Sausage from a local guy we know who raises oinkers....looks and smells great, butchered yesterday, at $3.50 a lb.  I think that's an OK price.

4 boneless chicken breasts sliced thin, 1 cup of mushrooms (I use more, because I like them), 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup dry white wine (I use chardonnay), 1 tsp garlic salt, 1 tsp crushed rosemary, 1 tsp paprika.  Put all in crockpot.  I put on high for about 4 hours until breasts are tender.  Nice sauce for potatoes.