Police Oppose Law Against Annoying Police

Bingoloid

Last month, Monroe County passed their own version of Akshar's favorite "annoy the police" statute.

In a surprise twist, the heads of a dozen Monroe County law enforcement agencies, including the sheriff's department and the Rochester police, have all agreed to instruct their officers not to enforce it, panning it as unconstitutional and a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

https://firstamendmentwatch.org/monroe-countys-police-chief-says-his-officers-will-not-enforce-new-annoyance-law/

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Upstate-NY-Police-Say-They-Wont-Enforce-Controversial-New-Law-That-Makes-Annoying-a-Cop-a-Crime-565875082.html

Good for them. I'll be waiting patiently for similar moral leadership from Zikuski and Harder.

Last night a trooper wrote me a ticket for a headlight even though I had an extra in my glove compartment. Somebody should write her an annoyance ticket.

11 hours ago, ginger said:

Last night a trooper wrote me a ticket for a headlight even though I had an extra in my glove compartment. Somebody should write her an annoyance ticket.

How long did you know that the head light was burned out?

Obviously a long time since you had the replacement in your glove box.  You convicted yourself!

lol  HiiiiiiiPeeeete....:) Pete, I drive 10-12,000 miles a month mostly at night so I do go through headlights. My mechanic, is a total and complete sweetheart and 10x smarter than me. He purchased 2 headlights last month when the passenger side went out because when one goes, the other does too, sooner rather than later. The headlights for the Jeep cost about $30.00 a piece and he installed that for free because I was having other maintenance work done. It's no easy fix for me to do it myself. I'd have to contort my wrist backwards in this Godawful Volkmann's contracture position just to unplug the old one. It stinks because he's on vacation this week and now I have to go find somebody to fix it tomorrow and hunt down a law enforcement person to sign off on my fix it ticket. DAY WASTED. 

Last night I drove I90 from Little Falls to the toll booth in Rotterdam and then all the way down I88. I saw one police cruiser in Little Falls. I did not see a trooper or sheriff on I90 but that doesn't mean they were not there. A rather stealthy bunch, they sneak up on you with their lights off then blast them when they want to pull somebody over. I took a half hour nap at the Mohawk travel stop, my light was still working. I saw two troopers on I88. One of them tailgated me with their brights on for an extended period of time. I had my cruise set to 65mph. I had to flip my rearview because after a time the lights were so painful the nystagmus reaction made my neck start to spasm. Just when I was about to pull over and let the vehicle go by, he/she passed me. The other trooper was parked in a median around/ before Worchester I think, and did not pull me over. Somewhere between I88 and Binghamton the light went out.

Speaking of driving with their lights off...one morning I was traveling on Chenango St. I came face to face with an officer driving with his lights off and wearing what I am guessing was night/infrared goggles/glasses? Seriously? 

It's more than that. I didn't just go to Little falls. First I drove out to Delhi, then I drove to Cooperstown and from there I drove to Little falls. It's all back roads. Lucky for me I have the sport package. It changes the torque from 50/50 all wheel drive to 20/80 basically creating a rear wheel drive experience. It's way more comfortable because you aren't leaning so much around curves. Unfortunately it disengages the fuel conserve option so I spend a bit more. And of course I can't use it in snow or heavy rain. That day, including the half hour nap was more like 9hrs. driving. Lucky me no snow. The day before I travelled west as far as Sodus and hit white out snow squalls in the Auburn area.

7 hours ago, ginger said:

Speaking of driving with their lights off...one morning I was traveling on Chenango St. I came face to face with an officer driving with his lights off and wearing what I am guessing was night/infrared goggles/glasses? Seriously? 

One night I pulled over at the rest stop in Worchester just to sit and rest for 5 minutes.. That stop, heading west is elevated. My glasses are a custom Rx for long distance vision because of the deer and other fauna. I watched a trooper stalk a vehicle...no lights on...the vehicle was doing nothing. I love my job and I love driving but driving at night is basically me, law enforcement and truck drivers which makes me an easy target. You wouldn't believe how often I get pulled over for real or made up reasons.They just want to search my car. Perhaps after Christmas I can get a comprehensive all vehicle web cam type set up. In any case, sneaking up on me in the middle of the night shoots my bp up, my brain aneurysm and chest start pounding and I'm in pain for 2 hrs because that's how long it takes for adrenaline to dissipate. It's really inappropriate.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:41 AM, PeteMoss said:

I am sorry for my post.  I know how hard it is to change the head lights in a jeep.

According to your post, you spend 6 hours a day driving at night  Helluva job.

Google maps just sent me travel statistics. They state, this year, so far, I've travelled around the world 3.8 times. :)

I need a nap, have a good day everyone.