Binghamton University receives $60M donation to build new baseball stadium

27 Time World Champions

22 hours ago, ThelmaHarper said:

If you have $60 million to throw at something frivolous, you don't need anything else in return. These donors tend to be aged folks looking to leave a legacy at dear old Alma Mater.

I'm not an expert on the tax rules at this level, but Stenger kept calling it a "donor family". Doesn't sound like one person's bequest. Since it's anonymous, it can't be a family foundation trying to meet their annual minimum disbursement. Those are open records. My guess is somebody's heirs inherited a donor-advised fund. You make contributions to those in any year for the tax deduction, but then you can't take the money out. You have no choice but to donate it eventually. Tens of billions get socked away in those every year.

My guess is some alumnus had happy memories of playing ball at BU or was simply a massive baseball fan, had a successful career that involved a lot of stock options, and his heirs ran out of ideas. Very possibly just a small portion of whatever they're doing to dispose of the fund.

This is getting more interesting every day. This donor family must have some serious pull. Construction will start in just a few weeks and will be completed in time for the 2021 baseball season. Yankee legend, Derek Jeter will be in town to throw out the first pitch along with other baseball legends, George Brett, Johnny Bench and Reggie Jackson (to name a few). 

Derek Jeter and other Baseball Legends will be in Binghamton for Opening Ceremonies.

19 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Since the Ponies are leaving why don't they just turn NYSEG stadium over to BU and be done with it?

Use the $60million somewhere else.

That would ruin the whole scam Pete. You need new projects to hide bribes and payoffs. Simple math.

2 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

I'm not an expert on the tax rules at this level, but Stenger kept calling it a "donor family". Doesn't sound like one person's bequest. Since it's anonymous, it can't be a family foundation trying to meet their annual minimum disbursement. Those are open records. My guess is somebody's heirs inherited a donor-advised fund. You make contributions to those in any year for the tax deduction, but then you can't take the money out. You have no choice but to donate it eventually. Tens of billions get socked away in those every year.

My guess is some alumnus had happy memories of playing ball at BU or was simply a massive baseball fan, had a successful career that involved a lot of stock options, and his heirs ran out of ideas. Very possibly just a small portion of whatever they're doing to dispose of the fund.

You're close on some aspects but not on others.