Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
27 Time World Champions

Binghamton University receives $60M donation to build new baseball stadium

Recommended Posts

Anonymous donor. Tony Kornheiser? Paul Reiser? Bob Swan?  Scott Krug? Only one name I can think of with that kind of cash and who loves baseball. Thomas Tull. Although no connection to BU that I know of. Maybe I’ll go to a few BU baseball games now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flo from Progressive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously the donor can designate any program they wish to support, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to pour $60mm into a low level baseball program that will benefit relatively few students.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ndirish said:

Obviously the donor can designate any program they wish to support, but I think it's kind of ridiculous to pour $60mm into a low level baseball program that will benefit relatively few students. 

You are right.

By the time nice weather comes, the college shuts down for the summer.

Watch to see who gets to skim money off of this donation.

At least $10 million will go toward administrative fees.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeteMoss said:

You are right.

By the time nice weather comes, the college shuts down for the summer.

Watch to see who gets to skim money off of this donation.

At least $10 million will go toward administrative fees.

 

I’m sure Harvey will have a say in this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad they can't work something out with the Rumble Ponies... the last thing we need is a second large scale Baseball venue in Binghamton. 

What a waste of resources that could be better spent on our aging infrastructure... like the water pipes that will supply the field!  

Oh wait... there is nothing wrong with our water and sewer infrastructure... it's all good...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CheckMate said:

Too bad they can't work something out with the Rumble Ponies... the last thing we need is a second large scale Baseball venue in Binghamton. 

What a waste of resources that could be better spent on our aging infrastructure... like the water pipes that will supply the field!  

You know what? This is a really interesting idea that could have been a win for everyone involved. NYSEG Stadium is pushing thirty. If the terms of the donation allowed it, a shared-use facility close to campus would probably be a brilliant public-private partnership that would keep baseball in our community for a long time and not only bring more local baseball fans to Bearcats games, but also give BU parents something to do during campus visits that would put money back into the community.

Of course, there's almost no real regional coordination so getting everybody together to think ahead like that would have been too much to ask. I wonder if "The Agency" even knew or if they found out about the announcement in the news like everybody else?

As for it being a "waste", it seems like an odd choice, but let's remember that it's a private donor. They didn't owe the Binghamton region a dime, and their tax money probably already subsidizes this area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kornheiser? I hope that was a joke!

 

Something close to campus and between NYSEG stadium? MacArthur space would have been great.

 

The Ponies are as good as gone. Outdated facilities won’t cut it anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

You are right.

By the time nice weather comes, the college shuts down for the summer.

Watch to see who gets to skim money off of this donation.

At least $10 million will go toward administrative fees.

 

That means the donor got something in return. They don't just drop money and let them skim from it without favors that need repaying. Maybe some big contracts coming up at BU will make the donor triple their investment...excuse me, their donation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

Something close to campus and between NYSEG stadium? MacArthur space would have been great.

I was looking at the map and thought the same thing. The South Side would be hopping for new businesses if it was convenient to hockey fans all winter, baseball fans all summer, and other Arena crowds year-round.

I have fond memories of NYSEG Stadium but that neighborhood is a rough spot to ask people to gather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 19April1775 said:

That means the donor got something in return. They don't just drop money and let them skim from it without favors that need repaying. Maybe some big contracts coming up at BU will make the donor triple their investment...excuse me, their donation.

Bitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nyrfan said:

Bitter

Who? You? Don't be pissed because a majority of taxpayers have figured out how they scam us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Kornheiser doesn’t have anywhere near that kind of wealth, much less 60M to give away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nyrfan said:

Bitter

And entirely out of touch.

As well as apparently capable of ever truly giving or receiving without expectation. 

If you have $60 million to throw at something frivolous, you don't need anything else in return. These donors tend to be aged folks looking to leave a legacy at dear old Alma Mater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ThelmaHarper said:

And entirely out of touch.

As well as apparently capable of ever truly giving or receiving without expectation. 

If you have $60 million to throw at something frivolous, you don't need anything else in return. These donors tend to be aged folks looking to leave a legacy at dear old Alma Mater.

Bend over rover and let jimmy take over. Gawd you people are so naive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least we will have a real stadium with competitive baseball. The BU team would whip any rumble ponies team. Bulldoze the Nyseg stadium and be happy you went to 3 games in 30 years. Welfare baseball stadium to first class stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy by sinister and powerful actors, often political in motivation,[2][3] when other explanations are more probable.[4] The term has a pejorative connotation, implying that the appeal to a conspiracy is based on prejudice or insufficient evidence.[5] Conspiracy theories resist falsification and are reinforced by circular reasoning: both evidence against the conspiracy and an absence of evidence for it are re-interpreted as evidence of its truth,[5][6] whereby the conspiracy becomes a matter of faith rather than something that can be proved or disproved.[7][8]

Research suggests that conspiracist ideation—belief in conspiracy theories—can be psychologically harmful or pathological[9][10] and that it is highly correlated with psychological projection, paranoia and Machiavellianism.[1

 

No names need be mentioned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 27 Time World Champions said:

Rumor out of BCVoice headquarters is it’s William Baldwin 

 

Christ, does he even have 2 million? Trust me, it’s not him. (or were you joking?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Ponies are leaving why don't they just turn NYSEG stadium over to BU and be done with it?

Use the $60million somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×