John Solak catches Dave Harder in Sheriff's Tahoe at GOP fundraiser

BinghamtonBill

In this SHOCK VIDEO, community treasure John Solak catches Sheriff Dave Harder in his tax payer funded Chevy Tahoe at the big republican fundraiser, at the Holiday Inn.  We the tax payers also foot the bill for Harder's fuel and vehicle maintenance.  

How is this allowed under county policy? 

County Executive Garnar and members of the legislature, it's TIME TO TAKE AWAY THE SHERIFF'S TAX PAYER FUNDED CAMPAIGN VEHICLE!

https://twitter.com/BinghamtonDaily/status/1228109476328300544

Remember when John caught Barb Fiala shopping at the Dollar Store?  She accuses John of stalking her and he said something along the lines of, “You’re an old lady! Why would anybody want to stalk you?!” 🤣 

*****Edit: Found this clip on YouTube. John has endured quite a lot of crap over the years in order to hold those in power accountable. Being called a child molester by John Burns. Getting punched by the hot dog guy, etc...

In the end, this is about human nature and TERM LIMITS!

Did not the Sherrif have an issue with selling chairs years back? And the late Tom Libous with his Steak Roast - NYS stationary mailings, etc., etc., etc..

It would be safe to say that after continuous years in office, on every level of government, certain politicians become more prone to believe that a gray area exists between what is proper and what isn't.......and as such, what they're "entitled" to through the almost narcotic like power of their position. 

Can't recall, but I'd bet a Burger King Whopper that the vast majority of these abuses didn't and don't occur during their FIRST terms in office. And while there's no stopping it altogether, term limits unto themselves would limit the window of opportunity for those given to such improper activities.... and shorten the "nurturing" incubator time for their development into first class Boodlers....I love that old fashioned term.

1 hour ago, Jack McGurn said:

Did not the Sherrif have an issue with selling chairs years back? And the late Tom Libous with his Steak Roast - NYS stationary mailings, etc., etc., etc..

It would be safe to say that after continuous years in office, on every level of government, certain politicians become more prone to believe that a gray area exists between what is proper and what isn't.......and as such, what they're "entitled" to through the almost narcotic like power of their position.

I'm not disagreeing with that part, but Harder's just a woodchuck who never understood how to act in the first place. He was distributing cash prizes out of the evidence locker to friends and family a long time ago just because he thought he could. Debbie Preston had the same problem. Goofy chain-smoking yokel who got herself in a bind because she thought she could do whatever she wanted even way back in Conklin, unaware that just because she was raised ignorant trash didn't mean everybody else was, too.

These are people who would barely be able to figure out how to earn a living at all if it weren't for public employment. (Is Preston still working at the Price Chopper?) Same class of bottom-feeders who birthed Akshar so he could run for office to banjo music. It's a shame that the Valley of Opportunity, which inspired hard-working people to travel halfway around the world to try to build something better for themselves in America,  is in the hands of a bunch of lazy and ignorant bumpkins who couldn't imagine it.

The working- and middle-class homeowners who put their foot down about Battisti need to speak up and take the county back from this crooked old hick, too.

2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

I don't like Harder but in reality can't he say he is on call 24/7 therefore he should be using his County Vehicle 24/7?

That’s garbage. I can see stopping after work at a grocery store, like someone said above, but a political fundraiser? That is not ok.

2 hours ago, Endwellian said:

That’s garbage. I can see stopping after work at a grocery store, like someone said above, but a political fundraiser? That is not ok.

What if there is an emergency and he has to respond?  Do you want him driving to the Sheriff's office to get his vehicle and then go to the scene or drive directly to the scene?

The real question: is he keeping track of mileage to report to the IRS how much money he received in benefits from the use of the vehicle? 

20 minutes ago, PeteMoss said:

What if there is an emergency and he has to respond?  Do you want him driving to the Sheriff's office to get his vehicle and then go to the scene or drive directly to the scene?

The real question: is he keeping track of mileage to report to the IRS how much money he received in benefits from the use of the vehicle? 

An emergency? The few homicides the sheriff’s office has handled the last 10 years, I don’t think I ever recall Dave being on the scene.

An emergency to him is running out of the jail kitchen with a tray of cookies, before they go bad over the weekend.

1 hour ago, PeteMoss said:

By the same token, in the unlikely event that he has to engage in official business because he's marooned somewhere with his personal vehicle, I'd be absolutely shocked if the department doesn't have the reimbursement policies worked out. 

LEOs in my family were only encouraged to run errands on either end of a shift if they had a marked take-home car, for visibility reasons, assuming the officer had some gear and was equipped to respond. It's a good way to get patrol cars to banks, gas stations, grocery stores, etc., off their usual route.

It was definitely not intended as a personal convenience perk so that brass could drive cool SUVs they couldn't afford on their own dime to parties, especially political fundraisers. If this isn't a violation, it should be.

8 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

I don't like Harder but in reality can't he say he is on call 24/7 therefore he should be using his County Vehicle 24/7?

The Office of Sheriff is the highest law enforcement title in our County and whether you love or hate the person in that Office they should be in a taxpayer vehicle 24/7 to respond anywhere and everywhere there is a public emergency, as needed. I'm with Pete on this.   

3 minutes ago, 19April1775 said:

The Office of Sheriff is the highest law enforcement title in our County and whether you love or hate the person in that Office they should be in a taxpayer vehicle 24/7 to respond anywhere and everywhere there is a public emergency, as needed. I'm with Pete on this.   

No it’s not. I bet the Binghamton Police respond to 5 times the calls the sheriff responds to. I’m high on sugar from eating cake all day, and even I know that. 

Just now, Diane from Endicott said:

No it’s not. I bet the Binghamton Police respond to 5 times the calls the sheriff responds to. I’m high on sugar from eating cake all day, and even I know that. 

This is why NY is so f*cked up. You have no clue how government works but you vote. When you take that straw out of your nose, do some research, get back to me.

3 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

I hope and pray that the Sheriff for Life doesn't actually show up to a real emergency. That is, unless there are cameras on. That would be amusing.

Did anyone see the video? I'm trying to get it here from Twitter. Not sure how to.

EDIT: I guess you have to link it and not embed it:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1228109476328300544

3 hours ago, 19April1775 said:

Did anyone see the video? I'm trying to get it here from Twitter. Not sure how to.

EDIT: I guess you have to link it and not embed it:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1228109476328300544

Take the link you have in your post and copy it onto this website:

http://twittervideodownloader.com/

Click "download" on the right and you will go to a page offering different resolutions of the video.

11 hours ago, 19April1775 said:

I respectfully disagree, April.  If the Sheriff has done his job right, his staff should be able to handle any emergency that would require that level of attention. If Harder goes on a cruise vacation in the Bahamas, should the taxpayers make sure that he has a helicopter and a Leer jet on hand to get back quickly?  If he gets hit by a bus will it be a major crisis and the department will shut down?

Nope.  To be honest, him showing up to parade around with his 4 stars (where are the 1, 2, and 3 star folks?) is nothing more than a distraction.

Term limits would be a start, but professionalizing police protection in the county would be better.  Leave the Sheriff holdovers from the days of the wild west to do what they are required to do, namely  enforcing mandates, orders, warrants and decrees issued by courts.  There is no legal requirement that the Sheriff has any responsibilities to run a highway patrol or detective division.  It shouldn't be a shake hands and kiss babies position.