Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BinghamtonBill

John Solak catches Dave Harder in Sheriff's Tahoe at GOP fundraiser

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, M_Sable said:

I respectfully disagree, April.  If the Sheriff has done his job right, his staff should be able to handle any emergency that would require that level of attention. If Harder goes on a cruise vacation in the Bahamas, should the taxpayers make sure that he has a helicopter and a Leer jet on hand to get back quickly?  If he gets hit by a bus will it be a major crisis and the department will shut down?

Nope.  To be honest, him showing up to parade around with his 4 stars (where are the 1, 2, and 3 star folks?) is nothing more than a distraction.

Term limits would be a start, but professionalizing police protection in the county would be better.  Leave the Sheriff holdovers from the days of the wild west to do what they are required to do, namely  enforcing mandates, orders, warrants and decrees issued by courts.  There is no legal requirement that the Sheriff has any responsibilities to run a highway patrol or detective division.  It shouldn't be a shake hands and kiss babies position.

You are correct.  The only thing that is mandated in New York is a Sheriff to have is a Correction and Civil division.  And term limits across the board for every voted public official should be done!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 7:37 AM, Gordon Hoyt said:

You are correct.  The only thing that is mandated in New York is a Sheriff to have is a Correction and Civil division.  And term limits across the board for every voted public official should be done!  

You people need to get it through your head that having an ELECTED law enforcement position in our county is a treasure. That person, whoever it is, is DIRECTLY answerable to US. We can vote them out anytime if we choose to get serious again. What can you do to a Zikuski? NOTHING. A police chief is protected by the mayor. You can vote the mayor out but what if the new one likes Zikuski? How can you people not see this distinction? The Office of Sheriff is the most powerful law enforcement position in Broome County because if we did our job WE are that persons boss! WE are the ones who can set law enforcement policy in Broome County with an elected Sheriff. Love or hate my current Sheriff I will gladly pay for them to have an official vehicle to respond to any emergency at anytime they see fit. I want them accountable for doing a good job or not! 

Sable, your analogy about them being on a European trip or whatever nonsense that was is quite juvenile. You know what I meant.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 19April1775 said:

You people need to get it through your head that having an ELECTED law enforcement position in our county is a treasure. That person, whoever it is, is DIRECTLY answerable to US. We can vote them out anytime if we choose to get serious again. What can you do to a Zikuski? NOTHING. A police chief is protected by the mayor. You can vote the mayor out but what if the new one likes Zikuski? How can you people not see this distinction? The Office of Sheriff is the most powerful law enforcement position in Broome County because if we did our job WE are that persons boss! WE are the ones who can set law enforcement policy in Broome County with an elected Sheriff. Love or hate my current Sheriff I will gladly pay for them to have an official vehicle to respond to any emergency at anytime they see fit. I want them accountable for doing a good job or not! 

Sable, your analogy about them being on a European trip or whatever nonsense that was is quite juvenile. You know what I meant.  

 

The fact of the matter is that Sheriff Harder does not report to any tragic situations in BC nor has he in the past 7 years that I can say with certainty. When was the last time you read or heard of Harder being at a horrific crime scene? While I could care less when he drives  the vehicle what  is troubling is that he said the taxpayers paid 35,000 for that loaded suburban... I would love to see the paper work on that.
My only concern would be why do they need such luxuries? What  possible reason could there be that they need luxury SUV  vehicles to drive...which is the category that his vehicle falls under. 

IF I AM WRONG PLEASE CORRECT ME. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 3:03 PM, 19April1775 said:

The Office of Sheriff is the highest law enforcement title in our County and whether you love or hate the person in that Office they should be in a taxpayer vehicle 24/7 to respond anywhere and everywhere there is a public emergency, as needed. I'm with Pete on this.   

No, the DA’S office is the highest ranking  law enforcement agency in Broome county. The DA’S office is the top dog not the sheriff department. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 7:25 PM, 19April1775 said:

You people need to get it through your head that having an ELECTED law enforcement position in our county is a treasure. That person, whoever it is, is DIRECTLY answerable to US. We can vote them out anytime if we choose to get serious again. What can you do to a Zikuski? NOTHING. A police chief is protected by the mayor. You can vote the mayor out but what if the new one likes Zikuski? How can you people not see this distinction? The Office of Sheriff is the most powerful law enforcement position in Broome County because if we did our job WE are that persons boss! WE are the ones who can set law enforcement policy in Broome County with an elected Sheriff. Love or hate my current Sheriff I will gladly pay for them to have an official vehicle to respond to any emergency at anytime they see fit. I want them accountable for doing a good job or not! 

Sable, your analogy about them being on a European trip or whatever nonsense that was is quite juvenile. You know what I meant.  

 

The Bahamas aren't in Europe ;)

The point is not juvenile in the least, being that the Sheriff is not indispensable  in matters that his department should be quite capable of handling.

I have no problem with the Sheriff having an assigned vehicle, if he accounts for and compensates the taxpayers for personal use. In no case should he use it as a political prop.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the sheriff's very pretty Tahoe is white. Safe to assume the tax payer is footing the bill for $100.00 oil changes a month, fuel costs and car washes? What kind of tires does he have on that baby? Run flats? I lucked out last year. I ran into a garage sale where somebody sold me 4 hardly used Kelly Safari All Terrains for $100. Better than snow tires. My original Continental run flats lasted 130,000 miles but they were not too great in snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, M_Sable said:

The Bahamas aren't in Europe ;)

 

I just wanted to make sure you read my post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, 19April1775 said:

I just wanted to make sure you read my post.

LOL...sure did!  Be well,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow my first post, which was #2 in this thread, may have been misplaced, but the Sheriff has a LOT more geographic area to respond to than city police.  To think Sheriff Harter would transfer all his gear out of a vehicle at the end of a shift or return to the Vehicle Lot to pick up a vehicle to respond to an incident is not realistic.  The Sheriffs, across the country, are usually allowed 24/7 vehicles.  

Some municipalities allow the police to take vehicles home.  Depends on the local regulations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok you convinced me, moving all of your stuff to trade cars is a pain. Nevertheless, I have to pay for my work vehicle and he makes a hell of more than I do. He gets EVERYTHING paid for? insurance too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ginger said:

Ok you convinced me, moving all of your stuff to trade cars is a pain. Nevertheless, I have to pay for my work vehicle and he makes a hell of more than I do. He gets EVERYTHING paid for? insurance too? 

Do you deduct the car expenses on your taxes?  From your postings you drive all over NYS.  I can't see why you aren't deducting those expenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×