Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ThelmaHarper

Airport. Why?

Recommended Posts

75 miles to our North, Syracuse's airport is at capacity. Every time we use the Syrscuse or Scranton airports we see people we know or meet folks from the Binghamton area.

Maybe Broome County's airport when not being used by local billionaires can offer up some of its parking and run a shuttle bus from its lot to Syracuse, Albany, Ithaca, Elmira or Scranton, all of which are leaving ours in the dust.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/02/finding-a-parking-spot-at-syracuse-airport-becoming-a-challenge-as-passenger-traffic-grows.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The airport is a losing investment.  We should completely get rid of it.  Why are taxpayers paying millions for something that isn't hardly used?  Same with the arena.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don’t you ever see the headline, “Psychic Wins Lottery?”

I agree with the above posters, but the Greater Binghamton Airport is like a case of herpes. It ain’t going anywhere. $4 Million Runway Improvements and don’t forget about the Binghamton Air Show July 25, 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much the county would save if we shut down the airport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning...ohsolongeveryboneinmybodyhurts weekend... 

So which Broome County legislator's brother in law needs a payday this time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ginger said:

Good morning...ohsolongeveryboneinmybodyhurts weekend... 

So which Broome County legislator's brother in law needs a payday this time?

Fine. I'll rephrase...who won the contract or is this one of those Jason Garner no rfp needed deals?

 

(Pete you should have never directed me to John Solaks twitter account :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ginger said:

Fine. I'll rephrase...who won the contract or is this one of those Jason Garner no rfp needed deals?

 

(Pete you should have never directed me to John Solaks twitter account :) )

Solak has the goods, on everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, PeteMoss said:

I wonder how much the county would save if we shut down the airport?

But what about the 5K road race on the tarmac that Garner is always so amped up about? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mr. Met said:

But what about the 5K road race on the tarmac that Garner is always so amped up about? 

If we shut down the airport, he wouldn't have to worry about planes landing when the race is going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, PeteMoss said:

I wonder how much the county would save if we shut down the airport?

Well there are local business men who have private airplanes at the airport like the Weitsmans and Maine’s and such. Are you saying they would have to contribute to run the airport if it was shut down or would they have to relocate their private jets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On one hand, business travel is at record highs and projected to keep growing. Shutting down our only commercial terminal would leave us with the nearest option an hour away, and basically be the final nail in the coffin for ever making this area economically relevant again.

On the other hand, the county is losing $1.4 million a year and it's not sustainable.

Knowing nothing about the technical aspects of it, I wonder what the prospects are for consolidating commercial service at CZG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 92CorruptCourtStreet said:

Well there are local business men who have private airplanes at the airport like the Weitsmans and Maine’s and such. Are you saying they would have to contribute to run the airport if it was shut down or would they have to relocate their private jets?

How the hell could they afford to relocate their private jets? It would destroy our local economy. Dumb idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

On one hand, business travel is at record highs and projected to keep growing. Shutting down our only commercial terminal would leave us with the nearest option an hour away, and basically be the final nail in the coffin for ever making this area economically relevant again.

On the other hand, the county is losing $1.4 million a year and it's not sustainable.

Knowing nothing about the technical aspects of it, I wonder what the prospects are for consolidating commercial service at CZG.

It is all over for this area.  Almost nothing Trump has done has reached us.

We have short sighted politicians and leaders.  The IDA (Agency) is a joke!  All they do is find money and tax breaks for the wealthy residents.

Lupardo and Schumer were here telling us that hemp would save us.  But a hemp company in JC got a big tax break.

There are too many people with their hands in the piggy banks.  Schools, both K-12 and colleges exist to help the administrators get rich.

Read Solak on Twitter.

It is over.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend just told me that a group called "Endicott Pride" thinks that Endicott needs  a drive-in movie theater.

Clueless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

We have short sighted politicians and leaders.  The IDA (Agency) is a joke!  All they do is find money and tax breaks for the wealthy residents.

Lupardo and Schumer were here telling us that hemp would save us.  But a hemp company in JC got a big tax break.

The obsession with coming up with a bunch of low-wage, low-skill jobs that produce less tax revenue than the employees will cost to provide services for is a serious problem. I'm not being snobby, just talking about the mathematical facts. Part of my brain dies a little every time I check local social media and see people talking about how $15 an hour is "pretty good" or who think the Amazon headquarters controversy in NYC was about a bunch of warehouse jobs.

There are quite a few people living in this area who work remotely for consultancies and tech companies in functional parts of the country, contributing substantially to the tax base and spending outside money into the local economy, and I'd like to think we can hammer that trend into something, but as you said, where's the leadership? "Broome is Good" almost seems focused on telling local people where to find job listings instead of attracting new investment. The last news published on The Agency's website was a paragraph about what it's like to work...at The Agency. Before that, a release about their optimism.

Meanwhile, I was on a Delta flight out of JFK a few weeks ago and there was a 25-page spread on the many wonders of investing in the Lehigh Valley and all the reasons it's a great place for your employees to live. "The Agency"'s counterpart has their equivalent campaign in front of millions of people worldwide, many of them decision-makers.

Maybe we'll become eligible for Essential Air Service and we can fly on 9-seat Cessnas. That'll be fun on windy days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't quite agree that having a 1 hour drive to the airport would drive down economic development. To fly out of IAD or Reagan International it's at least an hour drive from anywhere in the region.  Sticking the airport out in the middle of East Maine wasn't such a bright idea either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 11:19 AM, Bingoloid said:

Meanwhile, I was on a Delta flight out of JFK a few weeks ago and there was a 25-page spread on the many wonders of investing in the Lehigh Valley and all the reasons it's a great place for your employees to live. "The Agency"'s counterpart has their equivalent campaign in front of millions of people worldwide, many of them decision-makers.

 

There are some people in this area who believe that there is an agenda to keep other companies out of this area in order to keep wages low.  The IDA is doing exactly this.

$15 an hour jobs will be removed/eliminated by phone apps and robots.  I have seen no improvement in the service I receive in fast food joints by people who received 7% raises in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×