NY Governor Cuomo and his daily COVID-19 Briefings

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Responsible_Adult_Female said:

Good shepherd stopped visitors three weeks ago or more. Vendors are stopped at the door with just a couple of exceptions for those that need to come in

Good Shepherd is by far the best Nursing Home in BC.  My Grandma lived her final years there, passing at age 98, and they were so wonderful and caring. Top notch.

16 hours ago, ginger said:

Aren't Good Shepherd, HillTop and Elizabeth Church run/owned by the same people?

Susquehanna, Bridgewater and Vestal...same people?

Perhaps it's a coincidence but it kind of looks like they picked one to be their coronavirus go-to.

If I'm not mistaken Hilltop and Susquehanna have fewer beds.

edit- I wonder if it is also a coincidence both infected nursing homes are in Johnson City.

Good shepherd doesn’t own any others. Just the Villages in Endwell, Fairview in Binghamton and Chase Memorial in New Berlin 

5 hours ago, M_Sable said:

Good Shepherd is by far the best Nursing Home in BC.  My Grandma lived her final years there, passing at age 98, and they were so wonderful and caring. Top notch.

It is a very professional organization. They gave all their employees a $2/hr raise and a free meal every day during this crisis. 

A whopping $2.00 I guess that means their aides are almost making $15.00/hr.

Also too bad my theory was wrong and they aren't trying contain coronavirus to 2 nursing homes because that would have actually been helpful. Instead I just heard we have another infected senior community. I won't say until I have confirmation.

Speaking of.. way back when, I did my confirmation community service at Fairview under the direction of the nuns. It was nice back then.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, ginger said:

Pete I can see where this is going, every business is going to have to present an action plan to mitigate coronavirus or they don't get to open. This governor can't even save the lives of the people in nursings homes. He has perpetually neglected to address staffing issues. He isn't helping anyone. Trained personnel in hospitals and nursing homes can't contain the spread but he's going to place impossible burdens on everyone else. And toward what liability? lol Good luck proving you got the coronavirus from some business, ie a car rental.

I don't see him shutting down his contaminated subway system.

As I said, impossible and not practical burden on business...a saliva test taken every day when you leave work so the results come back in the morning...They expect employers to pay for this? A phone app where you must answer if you have any of the 14 known symptoms of coronavirus? I'm so sure they want employees to pay for this app. Answer or don't work? I'm kind of sleepy so I'll have to reread this tomorrow. Have a good night everyone.  :) 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-secret-group-of-scientists-and-billionaires-pushing-trump-on-a-covid-19-plan/ar-BB13h12G 

Laboratory... he says New York is a laboratory. He has no right to experiment with the lives of New Yorkers without their consent. I wonder if the governor and the owners of the nursing homes are familiar with the word lebensraum because it sure does look like an ongoing conspiracy to me.

Today's announcement was that schools will remain closed for the rest of the academic year. The kids were just robbed of 1/3 their school year. I feel sorry for them (at least the handful that attend to actually learn, not those that are there for babysitting services). And don't get me started on how bad this whole situation was and is being handled by the districts.

7 minutes ago, ThelmaHarper said:

Yeah. Those poor kids are having their senior skip day taken away from them. And endless end of year fun days, field trips, days at a Rumble Ponies games, parks etc. Sucks.

Well, as a trade-off they get to sleep until 3:30pm. Actually....not much different than being in school after all.

Just now, Kaz said:

Well, as a trade-off they get to sleep until 3:30pm. Actually....not much different than being in school after all.

Other than regents exams,  schools and students don't even pretend to do anything this time of year as evidenced above. This is just the same thing- videos, hanging out etc, without a schedule and without friends.

9 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Start.  I want to hear what you have to say.

Me too. The districts I have seen have been handed a shit sandwich by Andrew Cuomo and most I have seen have done amazing work to transition on line and still feed the kids as well- more unfunded mandates and he now dares cut their aid. 

32 minutes ago, ThelmaHarper said:

Me too. The districts I have seen have been handed a shit sandwich by Andrew Cuomo and most I have seen have done amazing work to transition on line and still feed the kids as well- more unfunded mandates and he now dares cut their aid. 

And they did get virus federal aid for schools.  Then Cuomo CUT state aid by the exact amount of the federal aid.

Bring it on Kaz

2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

Bring it on Kaz

I'm just pointing out the obvious. From March 15 to April 20 faculty was instructed to cover no new material, issue no grades on anything the students 'did', and student participation (as in attending on-line instruction), was not mandatory. Now, in the 4th quarter, the policy is that no student can receive a grade less than 65....no matter what. No-show? Congrats, you get a passing grade! The  students have no accountability whatsoever. Teachers can have no more than 2 assignments a week because they don't want to 'overwhelm and stress' the students or faculty. Overwhelm and stress? Really? At no point during this mess have I seen my kid take longer than an hour to complete all (as in all the classes combined) assignments handed out twice a week. So that's 2 hours a week of instruction - where school used to be 32 hours.

OK Pete and Thelma - educate me on what a wonderful job the schools are doing handling the 'teaching' aspect.

What school district are you writing about?  Each one is different and handling the situation in different ways.

Which school district faculty was told to cover no new material for 5 weeks?  I can see part of this time in a holding pattern because chrome books had to be distributed and not all students have internet access, so it would take some time to set everything up and to get all students online.

The whole transfer to online learning took place over a few days.  It is a huge logistics problem to transfer in class learning to online learning.  If the course was set up for online from day 1, it can go just fine.  But starting in the early part of a semester and switching over is not easily done.

How do you want students to be evaluated?  On line tests where students can cheat or parents can help them?

Just because your children take 1 hour to complete their homework doesn't mean that is how long each and every student takes to do their homework.