MANDATED NURSING HOMES DIRECTIVE

ginger

Governor Cuomo has mandated nursing homes take stable patients from the hospital regardless of their covid 19 status.

A nursing home medical director from Westchester County called in to Mark Levin's show last night BESIDE HERSELF. Mark didn't believe and made her post the directive she got on his FB or Twitter. So I asked a nurse in Syracuse what she thought and she said she already had covid 19 patients..as long as they don't need a ventilator and they aren't running a temp..that's the criteria for "stable".

My initial opinion would be, not appropriate. I think we've already established covid 19 isn't just a pulmonary pathogen, it has gastro and urinary implications as well. That's a lot of cross contamination, just in laundry. Staffing is a problem right now, it's flu season. So as par for the course nursing homes are working BELOW minimum, thanks NYS legislature and Governor Cuomo. Nursing homes do not have contained air systems like my daughters apartment, isolation is not good enough.

Most Importantly...HOW LONG DO YOU THINKS IT'S FAIR NURSING HOME RESIDENTS BE LOCKED DOWN AND AWAY FROM THEIR FAMILIES? As I said, this is not appropriate.

You people really needed to set up that separate flu facility like I told you to. You could have done this in February. But no, you always want to do things the hard way. I see those stupid tents in front of LOURDES..grrrr

I'd stop worrying about NYC and worry about the Greater Syracuse area which is a lot closer to home. 

Hurrah me soul! says I, Me shillelagh I let fly!....Somebody get me a drop of the pure!  

Aren’t most Nursing Homes short-staffed and ill prepared? What about the ones in the Greater Binghamton area? That thought just scares me  

We'll see who shows up to help if the monopolies and regulations are broken and people with knowledge and skills aren't prevented from assisting. I fully expect more to start running away, not just those who left assisted living folks to die in Spain or those who've abandoned their posts in New York hospitals and forced extra shifts on remaining staff. How many of those hiding are going to suddenly step up and put themselves at risk? 

Sometimes people will surprise you, but those who are living fragmented lives, isolated among millions and without real community, and with not even the foresight to have basic preparations in place, aren't likely candidates. It's going to be those who are already out there, who've made it a habit their entire lives, who have the courage and will to continue on. Same as always.

OMG 27 I read that story about the nursing home in Spain. I certainly can not imagine that happening here. What could happen is the nursing staff becomes infected. A lot of these ladies are older and have health problems themselves thus at greater risk.

I might add..it's also shingles season although I'm not seeing it yet.

19 minutes ago, JoeTheDrunk said:

You said most. More like ALL.

I heard the governor bragging that 62,000 healthcare professionals have reentered the workforce. (shrug) I'm not seeing that but I'm not travelling as far as NYC.

Nursing homes are not the place to send COVID patients!  Put a positive patient in with the most threatened population.  That makes total sense Cuomo.  I'm so angry.  Like most health care areas, nursing homes face staffing challenges as well.  COVID patients require a negative pressure room - I'm not sure if that's the correct term.  It is a room where the air doesn't recirculate out of the room elsewhere.  Nursing home air flow goes through the whole building.  I sympathize with hospitals and the overflow situation, but seriously!  Arenas are being set up.  Adam Wietsman offered Davis College for patients - no one has contacted him back yet.  There are other alternatives to dealing with patient overflow instead of nursing homes.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, ginger said:

OMG 27 I read that story about the nursing home in Spain. I certainly can not imagine that happening here. What could happen is the nursing staff becomes infected. A lot of these ladies are older and have health problems themselves thus at greater risk.

It's not unheard of for nursing homes to be abandoned in Texas and Louisiana during hurricane season. Notice where the water is in this photograph from Dickinson, TX. Then there were the dozens of patients who drowned at St. Rita's during Katrina because management ignored an evacuation order.

940x0.jpg

Cuomo's decision on that seems ill-advised, but I understand the logic of getting stable patients out of the hospital. If you reside in a nursing home, and you're discharged to home isolation, I'm assuming the expectation is that you'll be isolated in your nursing home. When I saw this announced last week in the context of Staten Island, I took it to be that they were only issuing the directive in the counties where they know they simply can't have anyone in the hospital who doesn't have to be there.

They can bring all of the people they want here, the fact remains there is no staff to care for them.The nursing homes around here have been importing nurses from Syracuse and beyond. Anyone who wants to do hands on nursing is already doing so. Nursing is a physically demanding job and unfortunately the homes around here run their employees into the ground. "Can't you take 800 mg of Ibuprofen?" Um, No.

BTW Bing, welcome back...I'm glad you aren't sick...I was worried.

Good morning everyone. I was out and about last night and managed to get my hands on CODE 19 POLICY AND PROCEDURE from a nursing home...not in Broome County. This is  abridged content.

Code 19- active case of virus= everyone is expected to stay on the unit they're on. No movement within the building until you are notified for further instruction. No one may leave the building.

(nursing home assures staff will be assessed for risk of infection and advised but it will take time)

Infected resident should be secluded from roommate with bedside curtain and beds moved as far apart as possible.Masks placed on both residents. Staff should implement droplet precautions with use of N95 mask and goggles.

The room with residents will be placed on "one on one" and that will be the staff's only assignment.

Management will notify dept of Health for further instruction.

The home is requesting nurses and their assistants to volunteer for code 19 assignment. They are also asking for volunteers from their housekeeping and dietary staff to be trained/educated to feed residents at meal times.

^ The supervisor assures me they do not have the extra staff to have one nurse and one aide do "one on one "'

WHAT SAY YOU ANDREW CUOMO? #SAFE STAFFING

1 hour ago, ginger said:

^ The supervisor assures me they do not have the extra staff to have one nurse and one aide do "one on one "'

WHAT SAY YOU ANDREW CUOMO? #SAFE STAFFING

What Nursing Home does? Won’t even get into how many staff quit once COVID-19 residents start accumulating. I can’t think of one facility in the area that will be able to handle this. Never mind handle it correctly. 

Italy is referring to coronavirus patients discharged to nursing homes as "BIOBOMBS" Governor Cuomo needs to have his mind changed and forbid nursing homes from taking new admits or transfers who remain testing positive. That's THEIR HOME IT'S NOT YOURS!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/italy-doctors-warn-of-bio-bombs-from-patients-sent-to-care-homes/ar-BB11Zovn

Let me try some logic...during a fire the first places you evacuate are the rooms on either side and the room directly across the hall. That's 6 residents. For every room you have a coronavirus patient in, assume 6 more will become sick and have to be sent out thus exacerbating the situation at the hospital.

12 minutes ago, ginger said:

Let me try some logic...during a fire the first places you evacuate are the rooms on either side and the room directly across the hall. That's 6 residents. For every room you have a coronavirus patient in, assume 6 more will become sick and have to be sent out thus exacerbating the situation at the hospital.

Six ...I am aware of 6 covid positive nursing homes in this state. Governor Cuomo, the slaughter is going to be on you personally. Don't ever expect to be President of the United States.

You know what gets me? His own brother is all over the tv telling everyone what a horrible time he's having...first night 103 temp, hallucinating...how the hell does he think a nursing home patient is surviving this? Oh sure maybe a few but most? Premeditated murder.

2 hours ago, FormerSomeone said:

My 95 year old Mother is on lock-down at Fairview-Good Shepherd and I haven't seen her since 3/16.  Calling daily but greatly concerned.  I'm still working at an "essential" business.  Sucks.

What an awful situation to be in. I wish you and your Mother the best. Hope you get to see her soon.