Binghamton Rifle Club shuts doors, in lock step with Cuomo

BCV News Reporter

The Binghamton Rifle Club has closed its doors under the edict from the governor, closing all “non essential” businesses. The Executive Committee conceded the Rifle Club is “non essential” by complying with this order. If convenience stores, gas stations and the Hum-Dinger Ice Cream Store can remain in operation, there is no good reason that a rifle club should voluntarily close.  

The Executive Committee sent the following message to club members: 

“HELLO BINGHAMTON RIFLE CLUB MEMBERS

In response to the State and local directives, requirements and recommendations in regards to Coronavirus, the Binghamton Rifle Club is considered a non-essential business and will be closing the range for all activities including casual use. 

This is effective immediately and will continue until updated directives are received from the State and local authorities. 

The door access system will be disabled.

Please watch out for follow up emails on this subject. Thank you.

The Executive Committee of the Binghamton Rifle Club”

This is what the Governor’s directive says in part:

11. Essential Services Necessary to Maintain the Safety, Sanitation and Essential Operations of Residences or Other Essential Businesses, Including:  (partial listing)

law enforcement

fire prevention and response

building code enforcement

security

emergency management and response

Responsible and well-trained firearms owners, are best suited to assist in maintaining the safety… and security of residents and other essential businesses. The Club and its members qualify as ESSENTIAL SERVICES as defined by the Governor’s own decree as outlined above.

If there ever was a time to demonstrate leadership by example, while endangering no one, the Executive Committee ought to recognize that the members of the club, individually, should determine, for themselves, if they CHOOSE to use the club during this time.  If you’re uncomfortable using the club for now, stay home.

Conceding we are "non essential" is contrary to what we stand for.

While it would have been perfectly reasonable to suspend club events that grouped people together, it was not reasonable to close the club entirely.

EE40723A-84A7-4874-8F92-B8C9FD2E16B0.jpeg

I read this in a news report the other day. Makes sense to me.

“When there’s a national emergency, people are looking for food, water, shelter — that part is important to the survival of our nation,” said Michael Cargill, owner of Central Texas Gun Works in Austin. “They are also looking for the Second Amendment to protect their families.”

I would argue we need our second amendment rights now more than ever.

The Binghamton Rifle Club Inc. is not a business, it is a non-profit organization, operating as a private club. I would also argue any orders pertaining to businesses do not pertain to Binghamton Rifle Club Inc.

Furthermore, I disagree with the club leadership that they are non essential.  They are essential for members, in defending the rights guaranteed to us under the second amendment.

The boys in Moravia were practicing/testing Friday. Franklin Shooting and Cock and Lock. I almost stopped to watch.  I might have to move there. The butcher at their market is the best.

5 minutes ago, ABB7 said:

Here we have the NY Attorney General calling on abortions to continue, so not to curtails “women’s reproductive freedoms”. So why doesn’t the same apply for the second amendment freedoms?

23D1AB62-971F-482E-B53A-0B06EB5A2238.jpeg

I think we have already established abortions can wait. The NYS legislature and the Governor Cuomo have ensured women can have abortions up until birth so WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? Are you trying to say abortions are less safe after 3 months? THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED.  

From the NRA website:

"Nothing is more important than protecting ourselves and our families -- especially during these times of uncertainty. Yet, some anti-gun lawmakers are exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic to deny you and your loved ones your fundamental right to self-defense and your Second Amendment rights. 

These anti-gun and anti-self defense extremists deem gun stores "non-essential," they shut down issuance of firearm permits, and, in some locations, they have created extreme delays for background checks required for firearm transfers. Some jurisdictions have even put added restrictions on firearm transfers, making it all but impossible for many law-abiding Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

All of this is happening against a backdrop of reported prisoner furloughs and law enforcement only arresting for the most serious of crimes. 

Just like you, we know that's wrong.

That is why the NRA will keep a constant watch on what is happening nationwide and will work diligently to ensure that you are able to defend yourself and your family during these unprecedented times. In the past four decades, your NRA has led the way to pass Right-to-Carry, Castle Doctrine, and most important for the current crisis, protection against gun confiscation during declared emergencies. This time is no different.

We hope you find this website useful. Please use it to stay updated on what's happening in your town or state and across the country. If you need help or would like to alert us to something happening in your town or state, please contact us here or send us an email at COVID19@nrahq.org.

During these difficult times, your NRA is keeping vigilant watch over your right to buy a gun and to make sure you are able to defend yourself and your family. The NRA fights for all law-abiding gun owners, whether they can afford to donate or not. We understand times are tough. But, if you have the means, please help us keep fighting against those politicians who are determined to strip away our right to self-defense and their billionaire backers. Every dollar counts. We thank you in advance.   

If you are unable to help us at this time, please drop us a line and let us know how you and your family are doing. We are always grateful to hear from our members and supporters. Again, a big THANK YOU from all of us here at the NRA.

Stay safe."

16 minutes ago, Fact Check said:

This is completely unacceptable. Wasn’t Oliver North just there a few years ago, when he was NRA President? I thought this was a club that fought for the 2nd amendment. Members should find a new club.

New leadership, not a new club, imo.

It doesn’t matter. This thing is going to rake mankind over the coals and *infect* 3 to 4 billion (if not more) people on this planet over the next two years, killing about 4% of them. 

It’s really simple. The Asian counties have been through this multiple times before and were better prepared both culturally and tangibly (equipment/supplies) because of it. The have EVERYONE wearing a mask because they know it helps immensely. They had more than enough other supplies and equipment because they knew having been through it before with other outbreaks and learned. Countries like Italy, the UK, now Spain, soon Germany and France and presently us in the US fucked up in not being prepared and ramping up late. And it’s going to cost millions of lives. 

China had more than enough masks and respirators for their *1.7 billion people* and had multiples for each. We don’t have enough for just our healthcare workers to last to next week.

I live in an apartment complex LOADED with Asian students. I see many every day leaving for work and returning. Before BU closed I saw a dozen or more at a time walking to class and 75% were wearing a mask. Now I see less, but when they are out almost all have a mask. It’s because they know because they come from a culture that LEARNED what to do.

We’re fucked people. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m almost certain that by the time you all may realize it I’ll already have been cremated as I do not have a chance should I get infected.

So you all go ahead and get upset over a silly thing like a rifle club closing while I and others in my shoes try to not get this scourge.

22 minutes ago, WolfMan said:

It doesn’t matter. This thing is going to rake mankind over the coals and *infect* 3 to 4 billion (if not more) people on this planet over the next two years, killing about 4% of them. 

It’s really simple. The Asian counties have been through this multiple times before and were better prepared both culturally and tangibly (equipment/supplies) because of it. The have EVERYONE wearing a mask because they know it helps immensely. They had more than enough other supplies and equipment because they knew having been through it before. Countries like Italy, the UK, now Spain, soon Germany and France and presently us in the US fucked up in not being prepared and ramping up late. And it’s going to cost millions of lives. 

China had more than enough masks and respirators for their *1.7 billion people* and had multiples for each. We don’t have enough for just our healthcare workers to last to next week.

I live in an apartment complex LOADED with Asian students. I see many every day leaving for work and returning. Before BU closed I saw a dozen or more at a time walking to class and 75% were wearing a mask. Now I see less, but when they are out almost all have a mask. It’s because they know because they come from a culture that LEARNED what to do.

We’re fucked people. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m almost certain that by the time you all may realize it I’ll already have been cremated as I do not have a chance should I get infected.

So you all go ahead and get upset over a silly thing like a rifle club closing while I and others in my shoes try to not get this scourge.

We are all dumber having read this... RIP pal, I'm sure everyone is going to miss you.

Back to the point of this thread.  In the same year Cuomo changes the law, sending dangerous thugs back out on the street, we have a local gun club afraid to stand up for its principles.  

1 hour ago, WolfMan said:

but I’m almost certain that by the time you all may realize it I’ll already have been cremated as I do not have a chance should I get infected.

So that's it? This little bug comes along and you are going to fold your cards? Why would you even think like that? 

Here is the latest from Bob Kingsley.  

Bob should consider a lawsuit against the Binghamton Rifle Club for violating his first and second amendment rights. The closure of the club, when it is "essential" according to the federal government, was bad enough.  But censoring a member and violating his free speech?  That is bull shit.

TO:                  The “Executive Committee”

RE:                   Club Closure and Censorship

I have made my positions and objections clear.  In response, you have censored me and others by taking down mine and other club members FaceBook, (FB) posts of opposing viewpoints.  The FB site as well as the club web presence belongs to the members, not exclusively to the “Executive Committee” to pick and choose only viewpoints it likes.

You expose your fear and lack of leadership by hiding behind the canard of “liability.”  My professional life involves on a daily basis the law, insurance and liability.  I understand the subject matter intimately.  This virus exposes the club to no more liability than normal.

Yesterday, President Trump also added clarity to the situation by adding these words to the list of critical pandemic infrastructure.  The new language added to the website of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, now deems as critical “Workers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges.”

It is unfortunate that club “leadership” wasn’t able to embrace this as fact before being directed to by presidential decree.  It is also unacceptable that club leaders believe they know better than members in making decisions about using the club or not.

Now that club leadership has been enlightened, this is what should follow, and in this order.

Re-open the club, with appropriate guidelines
Re-post all of the material you saw fit to censor
Issue an apology to all members for censoring feedback
There is no reason these measures should take any more than 24 hours to implement.

Should this fail to happen, I will consider it clear that the club does embrace censorship and leading from behind.  At that point, I will seek a larger audience for cataloging just what has happened here and let the court of public opinion decide the righteousness of the “Executive Committees” decisions.