BCV EXCLUSIVE: Broome County leads the STATE in % who die from Coronavirus

BCV News Reporter

The numbers of cases and deaths have been provided by Syracuse.com https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus-ny/

Broome County had a 10% death rate, from those confirmed to have Coronavirus.

Why is this?  Is our population more elderly than the rest of the state?  Are our hospitals that bad?   Were we too late in Coronavirus preparation? 

The numbers are shocking.  So what explains our high death rate?

percentwhodie.png

Wow.  This is eye opening.  You're not going to see this on the TV news or pressconnects.  Great job, BCVoice.  

I think it's a combination.  I don't have faith in Lourdes or UHS, not for any serious illness.  Broome probably wasn't prepared, then again.. when are we prepared for anything? But I also think the number of cases should be a lot higher.  Broome is either denying tests to those who really need testing, or is under reporting the number of cases.  That would bring the percentage down a little, but still...10% is incredibly high compared to the other counties.

OK.  Let's say for the sake of argument, there should be more than 29 confirmed cases in Broome County.  

But look at Dutchess County, they have 100,000 more residents than Broome County, yet less deaths. Look at Albany County, 100,000 more residents than Broome County, but only 1 death.

This begs the question, why does Broome have more deaths?  Even if the death percentages aren't 100% reliable or accurate, why does a small county like Broome have more deaths than much larger counties?

4 minutes ago, DJC said:

OK.  Let's say for the sake of argument, there should be more than 29 confirmed cases in Broome County.  

But look at Dutchess County, they have 100,000 more residents than Broome County, yet less deaths. Look at Albany County, 100,000 more residents than Broome County, but only 1 death.

This begs the question, why does Broome have more deaths?  Even if the death percentages aren't 100% reliable or accurate, why does a small county like Broome have more deaths than much larger counties?

Good point. The other poster might be right that's it's a combination. Overall Broome doesn't have a large sample size to project on so it could be a statistical anomaly. That said, dont know what the circumstances were of the 2nd and 3rd deaths, but we know the first one was a bit of a fuck up on the part of the health care system having sent home an elderly infected patient.

18 minutes ago, Hank Mitchell said:

Good point. The other poster might be right that's it's a combination. Overall Broome doesn't have a large sample size to project on so it could be a statistical anomaly. That said, dont know what the circumstances were of the 2nd and 3rd deaths, but we know the first one was a bit of a fuck up on the part of the health care system having sent home an elderly infected patient.

We don't know that. Facts have to be established yet.

1 hour ago, Hank Mitchell said:

A quarantined nurse said we aren’t testing. Take that anecdote for what it’s worth.

11 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

The answer is glaringly obvious. The hospitals aren’t testing here! When you die, due to poor care, your corpse will be tested. It’s a disgusting testament to the poor state of our community.

How does that explain Broome having more deaths than much larger counties? 

7 minutes ago, DJC said:

How does that explain Broome having more deaths than much larger counties? 

Ineffectual treatment. Not recognizing symptoms coupled with no testing, for our vulnerable citizens (elderly) is leading to the death count. What else could it be? Numbers don’t lie. Politicians and hospital bureaucrats do.

3 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Ineffectual treatment. Not recognizing symptoms coupled with no testing, for our vulnerable citizens (elderly) is leading to the death count. What else could it be? Numbers don’t lie. Politicians and hospital bureaucrats do.

This is why I laugh at the Broome Covid map in the other thread. It’s a joke. It’s data points compiled of incomplete data! What we know is accurate is dead bodies are being tested. Hard to fudge those numbers. 

I see in Washington they are testing for antibodies and passing out either blue or green bracelets so people know whether you already had it and you are good to go. Sounds helpful.

Widespread antibody testing is the only way we'll get a clear picture of how this disease actually works in populations.

I think all the people complaining that they had a really bad cold in January and therefore think COVID-19 already swept their community are simply engaged in wishful thinking, it doesn't fit the facts we have available, but it's nice to think and there's only one way to find out for sure.

Broome County is cursed. The hospitals and health care workers are incompetent. Everyone has a story about medical incompetency in this area. That's why we all go to NYC, Boston, or Cleveland for treatment. I was worried that NYC would take all of our hospital beds and our people would be left without a bed. I was wrong. Cuomo knows not to send people here because they will likely die and make him look bad. Garnar is a Cuomo lapdog. We need a leader to fight for more testing and better health care. We need a Pitbull not a lapdog!!!  

The hospitals around here are terrible.  If you need a big procedure, you go to a big city with better hospitals.  Also the officials in this area are lying to us.  Garnar in Broome knows the cases are much higher than 29.  And where I live outside of Owego, our officials don't even know, they are just watching Cuomo every day hoping for good news.  The Health Dept in Tioga County is a joke. 

14 hours ago, Endwellian said:

Wow.  This is eye opening.  You're not going to see this on the TV news or pressconnects.  Great job, BCVoice.  

I think it's a combination.  I don't have faith in Lourdes or UHS, not for any serious illness.  Broome probably wasn't prepared, then again.. when are we prepared for anything? But I also think the number of cases should be a lot higher.  Broome is either denying tests to those who really need testing, or is under reporting the number of cases.  That would bring the percentage down a little, but still...10% is incredibly high compared to the other counties.

Just think how many people are lying dead in their apartments in NYC from this.

I really think it's a statistical anomaly.  Consider this:  A Rumble Pony player gets called up to the Majors.  He goes 1 for 2 in his first game. He's batting .500!   Is he better than the the greatest hitter of all time, Ty Cobb, who had a career average of .366?  Possibly, but doubtful.  We will need a larger sample size.  Both the numerator (deaths/hits) and the denominator (infections/at bats) will need to be bigger for a valid comparison.

In both cases, time will tell.

I think it has more to do with the fact that we only have 30 confirmed cases, you can't draw any form of meaningful statistics from that low of a sample size for a virus. I mean aren't the people who have died from it in Broome relatively old and the expected population to be worst hit? Until we have actual testing in place and have more firm numbers single deaths will be statistically significant, even though they don't paint a real picture. 

4 hours ago, owego said:

The hospitals around here are terrible.  If you need a big procedure, you go to a big city with better hospitals.  Also the officials in this area are lying to us.  Garnar in Broome knows the cases are much higher than 29.  And where I live outside of Owego, our officials don't even know, they are just watching Cuomo every day hoping for good news.  The Health Dept in Tioga County is a joke. 

I don’t believe Garnar is lying. Of course we all know a lot more than 29 people within the county have contracted Covid-19, but there are so few test kits in Broome County that the reported number will always be a lot lower than the actual number. The only number we can rely on is deaths. 

The county actually has a refrigeration trailer that was brought in that can hold 30-40 bodies. So maybe that should tell you what they are actually expecting to happen in the near future.

19 hours ago, DanCooper said:

One thing that sucks around the country is that if you are someone you will get care much quicker than if you're a nobody.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:02 AM, ginger said:

I see in Washington they are testing for antibodies and passing out either blue or green bracelets so people know whether you already had it and you are good to go. Sounds helpful.

How nice, just like the old days.   

4cad72993d136811.png?1585687212