CDC: use bandana if no masks available

thomas

1 hour ago, 27 Time World Champions said:

I was in JC Wally this past weekend. They had 2 JC Police Officers at the front. I went right through without a mask. Not sure they’re checking for masks. Nobody said anything to me during my time there. Same thing at Binghamton Price Chopper and Wegman’s. I never put on a mask. Nobody said a word. 

You went to Walmart and didn't tell us Easter stuff was on sale?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FTA    “You’ve got to be kidding me,” Ashish Jha, the K. T. Li Professor of Global Health at Harvard and the director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told us when we described what the CDC was doing. “How could the CDC make that mistake? This is a mess.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

A negative standard test and a negative antibody test are the same thing. This isn't really news. . I don't see the big deal other than it sells panic. Its someone who is negative, most tests in the numbers are pos/neg with the antibody testing a much smaller percentage overall in that number. Currently in Broome county, whats your chances, .002 after 10 weeks. People need to get a grip

1 hour ago, larrymoeandcurly said:

A negative standard test and a negative antibody test are the same thing. This isn't really news. . I don't see the big deal other than it sells panic. Its someone who is negative, most tests in the numbers are pos/neg with the antibody testing a much smaller percentage overall in that number. Currently in Broome County, whats your chances, .002 after 10 weeks. People need to get a grip

No, a negative standard test and a negative antibody test are NOT the same thing.  A negative standard test indicates if you HAVE the virus. A negative antibody test indicates that you DID NOT have the virus.  There are 2 different tests because they are testing different things.  The standard test involves a nasal swab.  The antibody test uses blood.

4 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

FTA    “You’ve got to be kidding me,” Ashish Jha, the K. T. Li Professor of Global Health at Harvard and the director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told us when we described what the CDC was doing. “How could the CDC make that mistake? This is a mess.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Like I've said before, the incentives in "the swamp" are the opposite of what the conspiracy theorists are thinking.

2 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

No, a negative standard test and a negative antibody test are NOT the same thing.  A negative standard test indicates if you HAVE the virus. A negative antibody test indicates that you DID NOT have the virus.  There are 2 different tests because they are testing different things.  The standard test involves a nasal swab.  The antibody test uses blood.

Might be easier to put it this way: a positive test for infection and for antibodies are not the same thing. The metric to understand if a problem is brewing is how many people are showing up infected right now, not six weeks ago. 

More immediately, though, keeping the positivity rate improving over time is a milestone in Trump's guidelines for opening. The odds are that these states are simply padding the numbers with results from a different population - people who were never sick and so never got the real test - to dilute the real measurement because they suspect they'll flunk the test otherwise.

The federal government fucked up when it deferred to Fauci, Birx, and the health/science bureaucrats with regard to policy suggestions. These people are clearly incompetent. The real fools here are state/county/local governments who deferred to Fauci et al when there was no reason to do so, and who have failed to correct their obvious mistakes since then. Every possible thing that could have been done wrong was done wrong. They should stop doing and let us deal with this the way contagious diseases have always been dealt with.

I'm not going to wear a mask into a store, but if I really need something in the store, and a store employee asks me to put one on, I will. It's their store, and I need their products, so I'll only be an asshole up until they have the balls to call me on it. Now, if another customer says something to me, that's an entirely different matter, but it's been my experience that mask-wearers are either displaying their compliant personalities or are virtue signalling, neither of which are compatible with confrontation.

Here's my thoughts '27:

We don't wear masks most places in our rural part of Virginia.  We have a very low rate of reported infections or deaths. Most of what I see people wearing as "face masks" make them look more like part of the Dalton Gang.....not really all that effective.

However, I have noticed that old people out trying to get groceries seem very scared, so if we see that is the environment that we're in, we'll put one on for as long as it takes to get our stuff and check out. If it makes them feel more comfortable, fine by us.  It's not a political statement.

Otherwise, we just try to do our grocery shopping in bulk to minimize going out, and have no problem hanging out at home.  I'm usually on the road 50%+ days of the year for the last 10 years, so happy to be home and do a bunch of cooking, gardening, yard work, and hobbies long neglected. No biggie.

Agreed, though. It's our choice, and nobody had better get in my face one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, M_Sable said:

I have noticed that old people out trying to get groceries seem very scared, so if I see that is the environment that I'm in, I'll put one on for as long as it takes to get my stuff and check out. If it makes them feel more comfortable, fine by me.  

I’ve noticed this myself and it’s heartbreaking.  Couldn’t agree more!

I understand the difference of the two tests Pete Moss. But if your negative for having it right now, or are negative to the antibody that means you don't haven't had it. Its still a negative. My questions also are they counting positive antibody towards the positive, or are they counting them differently or not all. This whole thing is a cluster fuck, some people are overly scared who shouldn't be while others who should be more cautious aren't. In the end the chance of death locally .02 % 

Business on the other hand aren't going to make it much longer, big ones yes, little ones no.